Sponsored by:

Fix this lag or take it back!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Control It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix this lag or take it back!!

My CS must have sensed it was going in for a checkup because like a scared dog going to the vet, it was acting up all day!

Today was the worst lag, hesitation or whatever you want to call it I have ever experienced!

I was really losing it by the time I got to the dealer. The salesman told me that he has other customers totally flipping out about this problem and that Porsche was close to an official 'fix' in a matter of days or weeks. I don't necessarily believe him or even care.

I told the service manager that if I do not have a firm date with a firm fix, I want a full refund. He is putting in a call to the regional rep.

I am so pissed. There is nothing else I want to buy! I love this truck but the tranny problems are so extreme, it interferes with my ability to enjoy it.

I rationalized that if the CS was $45K, I could live with it....then it did it again and I realized that it is not acceptable at ANY price level.

Bringing it in for service tomorrow, even though they probably cannot fix the problem.

I waited for an 05 just for this damned problem to be fixed. If they don't get it right, this is gonna go legal....and fast....

stay tuned...

Mark
Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to live with it even if it was for free!!
This is a problem that can relate to an accident waiting to happen.

It is a serious enogh issue but I would say hold on like the rest of us and wait for the fix.
It is something that will have to be downloaded which is beautiful.

Reality is finally hitting Porsche but I think they will come thru.

I am new to drive-by-wire and I still don't understand the benifit of it. Awkward feeling like the car almost drives how it feels.

Otherwise, no matter what other car I see on the market right now for an SUV, the Cayenne has them all beat, none of them are perfect.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Control It
Instructor

I hear you good to get some acknowledgement from another owner. I know none of them are perfect but after living with an almost identical problem on an Audi allroad, this problem really gets on my nerves!

It was insane today. Just the worst ever...No huge delays but constant lags and mini shutdowns. I can't take it and I know if it bothers me only a month after getting it, I will resent it more and more as time goes on.

I am on this and will not let go. Enough already.

Fix it or take it the f back!!

g r r r r
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Vino
Racer

I would say if it really is so bad have them buy the car back.

I too am not a firm believer in "words spoken" I would like to see something from Porsche in writing that a fix is coming.

you feel left out in the corner almost like owning a VW.

I'll probably talk to my dealer next week about this issue and see what I can bring to this .

Keep us updated!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Control It
Instructor

count on it.....today was the last straw....i will update as this progresses...I think Porsche has a big problem on it's hands and it is gonna explode when people start opeing their mouths
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Damn, I guess I got lucky (no lag at all). Sorry to hear about about all of this stuff you're dealing with brother. I hope it's taken of care of soon.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Control It
Instructor

Scott, that is amazing! Good for you. do you drive in traffic? If I don;t vary speeds too much, it is much better...but when driving at speed then altering speeds from zero and up and back down, the CS is just unpredictable....even when working properly, it has trouble choosing the right gear...

If some of em don;t do that then give me one that works and I will be happy!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:17 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Yes...I drive in traffic daily. And luckily the lag is no different than any other auto tranny vehicle I've owned.

Of course now that I've just said that, I'll probably start getting lag the next time I drive it.

Originally Posted by controlit
Scott, that is amazing! Good for you. do you drive in traffic? If I don;t vary speeds too much, it is much better...but when driving at speed then altering speeds from zero and up and back down, the CS is just unpredictable....even when working properly, it has trouble choosing the right gear...

If some of em don;t do that then give me one that works and I will be happy!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:47 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Lag is best described as a delay in throttle response after flooring the pedal. If you can drive along in Auto mode at about 40 MPH, floor the gas pedal for a full second and not have any throttle response then that is lag. I can floor my 2005 Turbo at 40 MPH, wait a full second, take my foot off the gas pedal and then, with no foot on the gas pedal, the transmission will downshift 2 gears.

Who wrote this software?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:10 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

Guess I haven't really noticed it is much different than other auto cars I've driven, but it's the only non-manual I have. I use the tip buttons a lot when driving and if I need to pull out quickly or change lanes, etc I just hit the tip button to downshift and then it goes pretty damned well, for a 2 1/2 ton truck!! (One of the reasons I bought this over the Toureg, other than the driving dynamics was that the T-reg didn't have the steering wheels buttons.)
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 AM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Yes. That's excatly the same thing I thought you guys were talking about. I don't have this problem thankfully.

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Lag is best described as a delay in throttle response after flooring the pedal. If you can drive along in Auto mode at about 40 MPH, floor the gas pedal for a full second and not have any throttle response then that is lag. I can floor my 2005 Turbo at 40 MPH, wait a full second, take my foot off the gas pedal and then, with no foot on the gas pedal, the transmission will downshift 2 gears.

Who wrote this software?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:54 AM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mark,
Have you driven other S and did they have this same problem? I agree that the trans doesn't kick down as fast as it should but when I am in a sporty mood I just turn the PSM off which really changes the character of the car but if I am in regular mode and a situation comes up then the TIP buttons are right there to knock it down a few gears and I find that 99 times out of 100 you at least have enough warning to get that done to be on the power when you need it.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

You know I have found that I have the lag after my wife drives the car for a while. She is not the agressive driver I am, However all I need to do is take it for a run punch it hard once and everything is back to normal. For a tubocharged car I find it to be rather responsive.

I hope they resolve your problem soon, becuase they really are great vehicles when everything is working correctly.

One side note. The only problem I have had is the memory seats not recognizing the keys. Yet yesterday for the first time for no reason they statrted working. very strange.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

I must agree that the trans shift software is pretty poorly executed. First of all we shouldn't have to switch off a major safety feature to get the truck to 1)start in first gear, it should ALWAYS start in first and 2) to get it to downshift in a timely manner.

I'm not convinced that yours is any different but more than likely the same as the rest. It is the characteristic of the trans and throttle software. I must say, it isn't very Porsche-like. Seems to be geared towards the masses, like much of the vehicle. That is the trap, appeal to the masses, alienate your base.

I do think that one very simple solution is to leave the PSM on and use the tip buttons on the wheel. They are very effective and it reverts back to auto mode after a short time. The problem I ran into with the shifter tip is that I floored it once and got nothing, no downshift. That is exactly what I told it to do but unless you drive it everyday it can be easy to forget which of the 20 different modes you are actually using at the time.

Good Luck with a resolution
Old 09-24-2004, 01:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't really followed this thread too closely, but i noticed today that when i started the Cayenne TT (05) and put it in drive it went into 1st gear, I thought I had noticed at lights that it started in second. My logical answer was gee maybe it goes into first when cold and forst started up.

Any ideas or comments?

Quick Reply: Fix this lag or take it back!!