Fix this lag or take it back!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:15 AM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 when 'cold'; D2 by default; D1 when 'pushed'

Originally Posted by Colm
I haven't really followed this thread too closely, but i noticed today that when i started the Cayenne TT (05) and put it in drive it went into 1st gear, I thought I had noticed at lights that it started in second. My logical answer was gee maybe it goes into first when cold and forst started up.

Any ideas or comments?
Your observations are correct.

The Cayenne is programmed to use a 'warm-up map' when coolant temperature is below 97 degrees. This gets the engine and catalytic converters up to operating temperatures sooner. In this mode the transmission starts out in D1 and up shift points are delayed.

Once warmed up the transmission defaults to D2 at a stop.

Even the early Cayennes seem to be readily drop to D1 from D2 a stop if you aggressive jab (not even all the way to the floor) the throttle off the line.

I've not found that any of the above markedly affect the hesitation/dead pedal issue that Controlit has described.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 AM
GM Austin
Pro

It will start in first when the outside air temperature is cold enough. I'm not certain what that temperature is, but somewhere around 40 F I think. You also get a special shift mapping to hold gears longer to keep revs up, shortening engine warmup time.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:24 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My first drive this morning with the updated auto trans control unit installed.

Parts Used

955-618-022-02 Control Unit. Tans

Procedures

37010000 - Tiptronic ODB
37301900 - Transmission Control Module Removed and Reinstalled

Initial impressions

1 - When PSM turned off transmission now switches to D1.
2 - With PSM off, Aggressive changes, higher rev mapping.
3 - All Changes much smoother (significant change)
4 - On the 90 degree corner test at 45mph, 3 still the lowest gear selected with PSM on, will try later with PSM off

Next Tests this afternoon

1 - Straight line freeway speed kick down
2 - Merging onto freeway
3 - acute angle turns with kick down

Seems a step in the right direction.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:29 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by Brent 89-GT
I must agree that the trans shift software is pretty poorly executed. First of all we shouldn't have to switch off a major safety feature to get the truck to 1)start in first gear, it should ALWAYS start in first and 2) to get it to downshift in a timely manner.

I'm not convinced that yours is any different but more than likely the same as the rest. It is the characteristic of the trans and throttle software. I must say, it isn't very Porsche-like. Seems to be geared towards the masses, like much of the vehicle. That is the trap, appeal to the masses, alienate your base.

Didn't the 928 used to start in 2nd gear unless the accelerator was pressed further? I remember seeing a fix for this so that it would always start out in 1st.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Control It
Instructor

Brought my CS in once again...after the customer service manager spoke to the sales rep they determined I have the 'old' version of the transmission module. IT was ordered yesterday and will hopefully be installed Monday.

I drove it to LI and back tonight and all I can say is that it is so bad with lagging and lurching it was totally dangerous. It was the worst it has EVER been. Nothing made it better! Not shutting PSM off, manually shifting. NOTHING.

I am convinced (I HOPE) that this problem is due to a serious defect. THis is not subtle this is serious and dangerous and totally is killing the experience of the Cayenne.

I am hoping to see a major significant improvement with this new module. If not, I cannot accept this performance.

THis was the worst day driving it yet. By far...

Sorry, i just had to vent!

Last edited by Control It; 04-05-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

It's my fault for not following this very closely, but is this a problem mainly with CS or TT's (the lag issue)? Is it more prevalent in one than the other? And is it less prevalent in 05 than 04 builds?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:03 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Sorry to hear that, Mark. Hopefully the new module will fix your problem.

Originally Posted by controlit
Brought my CS in once again...after the customer service manager spoke to the sales rep they determined I have the 'old' version of the transmission module. IT was ordered yesterday and will hopefully be installed Monday.

I drove it to LI and back tonight and all I can say is that it is so bad with lagging and lurching it was totally dangerous. It was the worst it has EVER been. Nothing made it better! Not shutting PSM off, manually shifting. NOTHING.

I am convinced (I HOPE) that this problem is due to a serious defect. THis is not subtle this is serious and dangerous and totally is killing the experience of the Cayenne.

I am hoping to see a major significant improvement with this new module. If not, I cannot accept this performance.

THis was the worst day driving it yet. By far...

Sorry, i just had to vent!

Mark
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time I ever noticed "lag" was as I floored this thing coming out of turn 7 at sebring. The car did not accelerate AT ALL! I had to pull over the car kinda coasted for 100 meters then took off. This was the only time it happened at that DE. Next time it happened same senerio I was in the middle of an auto X. One more time at a DE and now I am pleased to say 5 DEs later and daily driving and NO more problem! What do ya think of that!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the automatic equipped 928's, at least the S4 versions, start in second. I do not have an auto trans in MY sports car, so I am not sure what the exact fix is, but I understand it is pretty simple. Unfortunately, the Cayenne is a little more complex than the 928 ever was. Sure would be nice to see a software update for the Cayenne, one that is a little more Porsche and a little less grocery getter.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Control It
Instructor

I brought my CS in today for the new Tiptronic module. Oddly, they called me and told me there was an official Porsche recall on certain vin #'s (including mine) and that this was the 'fix' for the problem. THis is recall W515.

THey also got a recall notice (W424 I think), that was so new they did not yet know what it is for.

Anyway, I just drove home with the new Tip module..hard to say if it is 'fixed' yet because the problem is only obvious under traffic conditions and can be hard to repeat on an open road.

Regardless, I did run into some traffic and also vaired my speeds to try to simulate traffic conditions.

So far, I have to admit it does seem vastly improved, if not 'fixed'.

But it is too soon to say for sure.

Quick Reply: Fix this lag or take it back!!