Sponsored by:

Cat Bypass Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 12:33 PM
DTampa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Bypass Pipes?

I've read about the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes for approx $550 in several forums. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there are other options available in similar price range and whether there is a performance diffence in the choices. Also, some have warned against a loss in performance using the bypass pipes so does anyone have that experience? One final question, would the Fabspeed pipes be compatible with other exhaust systems if the whole thing is replaced by higher performance offerings from TechArt or Gemballa?

This will be going on a Cay S that I took delivery of over the weekend.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

A lot of people were complaining that their was a loss in performance when they installed it. I say dont do it. Just get the muffler from gemballa,techart,cargraphic, etc and thats more than enough. Then if you think you want it to be louder then go with pipes. From what others have said I really dont think you should get the fabspeed bypass.

just 2 my cents
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those quoting a loss in performance. Are they NA V8s from the Cayenne S or the Twin Turbo V8 from the Cayenne Turbo or both engines?

On the Cayenne S it makes sense as I am sure Porsche tuned the engine expecting a given amount of backpressure, but it doesn't make sense that the Turbo would loose power, since the bypass pipes would free up that restriction for the Turbos.

That said I plan on doing the Fabspeed exhaust and bypass pipes on my Cayenne Turbo, along with a before and after dyno.

-Jenner
Old 09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

if you have an S and you need more power, do not get the bypass pipes, simply just go to any Porsche dealership and trade it in for a Turbo

I agree with Jamy, get the muffler from either Gemballa, Techart, or CG. I have Techart on mine and I love it, it is very loud ^^
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

I have the (on a "S") fabspeed bypass pipes and the gemballa muffler. I dont notice any loss of power. Any proof other than seat of pants? I would appreciate insite..

sami.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Jenner Im not sure I saw the post a couple of months back
Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

Sami: I am wondering how your car sounds like with both the bypass pipes and the gemballa muffler. Do you mind sharing some videos with us?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:00 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the fabspeed bypass pipes and a modified exhaust. No dyno data but have run the car at Sebring DE's and car goes like a bat outta hell! By the way sounds like a 60's V8 muscle car. Everyone at the track says how great it sounds. Nothing bad to report. This is also with the PowerChip installed.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=jamy85]A lot of people were complaining that their was a loss in performance when they installed it.

Jamy

who are all these people with cat bypasses that are complaining? I thought it was a great result but Im always open minded If someone knows something to the contrary.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 AM
DEETZ22
Racer

sound clips please!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:04 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=tkerrmd]
Originally Posted by jamy85
A lot of people were complaining that their was a loss in performance when they installed it.

Jamy

who are all these people with cat bypasses that are complaining? I thought it was a great result but Im always open minded If someone knows something to the contrary.

I honestly dont remember it was a while back. I remember him also wanting to sell his fabspeed bypass for $400
Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 AM
M-Phibian
Instructor

This is Joe Fabiani's response regarding whether or not his Cat bypass pipes make power or not. I personally believe him.

"The Cayenne TT 2ndary catbypass pipes add +28HP and the Cayenne “S: add +17HP. You don’t need any backpressure and more power all across the board. Low end Torque and horsepower to top RPM. Let me know if you ever need anything for helping us out……………."

Have a great day

Joe

Fabspeed Motorsport USA
15 Villa Drive
Ambler, PA 19002-5065
Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Above response seems correct. Have the fabspeed bypass and can tell difference. I recommend them. Front cats cause enough backpressure for anybody.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:43 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jamy and Deetz you need to stop listening to fools, get your own experience. The only complaint I ever heard was one person who claimed that they lost power on a turbo. That statement in itself defies the laws of physics and was not repeated by anyone, sounded to me like a botched job at the time.

Of course you get HP out of the pipes, my S is + 17 and they sound great, I even heard the sound from these expensive gemballa's and others, they sound basically the same just a little louder.

Understandable really because the stock muffler is good straight through design. If you don't believe that get out the can opener. The Gemballa looks like the inside of the stock muffler without the shell.

Stop talking about and spend the money and see for yourself, Deetz it sounds like you have been talking to to many people and your now p*%^&d off that you dad did not buy you a turbo.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:51 AM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Damn Mud....don't sugarcoat it or anything.

Originally Posted by mudman2
Jamy and Deetz you need to stop listening to fools, get your own experience. The only complaint I ever heard was one person who claimed that they lost power on a turbo. That statement in itself defies the laws of physics and was not repeated by anyone, sounded to me like a botched job at the time.

Of course you get HP out of the pipes, my S is + 17 and they sound great, I even heard the sound from these expensive gemballa's and others, they sound basically the same just a little louder.

Understandable really because the stock muffler is good straight through design. If you don't believe that get out the can opener. The Gemballa looks like the inside of the stock muffler without the shell.

Stop talking about and spend the money and see for yourself, Deetz it sounds like you have been talking to to many people and your now p*%^&d off that you dad did not buy you a turbo.

Quick Reply: Cat Bypass Pipes?