Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo ECU upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Turbo ECU upgrades?

Has anyone here had any first hand experience with an ECU upgrade in a Cayenne Turbo? One of my customers has an 04 Turbo and is frustrated by the turbo lag. Says it's not like his 996TT.

If anyone has an upgrade or has driven a Turbo with one, please let me know what the improvements were, what it did to turbo lag, and who makes the product. Right now, we're leaning towards Techart, mainly becaus eof past experience, but I haven't seen any definitive answers as to how the Techart ECU changes the drive.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It isn't turbo lag he is experiencing as there is none or very very little in the Cayenne Turbo. To test this, turn off PSM, put the car into manual mode and floor it with 2000 or more rpms on the tach. There will be next to zero lag.

The "lag" he(and others) is/are experiencing is in the automatic mode, with PSM turned on. The time the car takes to accelerate(aka lag) is really the transmission kicking down, NOT turbo lag.

A chip will add more boost(from about 0.6-0.8 bar to 1-1.1 bar) but it will NOT reduce this automatic transmission lag. Best way to defeat it is first by turning off PSM and using manual(aka tiptronic) vs auto mode reduces it more, but turning off PSM gives the greatest result.

Also when PSM is turned off and in "manual" mod the transmission will NOT upshift automatically like it would with PSM on and in "manual" mode.

HTH!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:47 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to www.powerchipgroup.com - I have experience with their product on a few vehicles I've had. They can custom tune and optimize it for specific octane use and other mods'. I thinks the CAY TT is about 40-50 HP gain. Prob. about $1K MSRP.

TechArt offers a Power kit. Basically all you get a Chip and 2 filter kits however its around $6995 MSRP for this. You can get www.cecwheels.com
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Don't forget Upsolute or GIAC.

Upsolute will get you the same 40-50hp gain, about $600 installed. GIAC gives the same numbers, but costs $1999!

That said, any big name tuner will add power to the Cayenne Turbo, but it won't fix the transmission kick down lag that your client is complaining about.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

I did a test on the way in to work today.

Drive the Cayenne Turbo on the highway in auto mode get it to like 70-80mph and give it 25% or so throttle on a flat road. Make sure you give it enough to accelerate, but not too much so that it downshifts to fifth. As you give it throttle, watch the boost gauge on the right. You will see it INSTANTLY will go to 0.4 bar maybe higher.

Again, this car does NOT have turbo lag. Low rpms, 6th gear and the boost comes on at part throttle right away.

*This was with PSM on, not sure how it would have acted with PSM off, but my guess is PSM off might have caused it to kick down.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Again, this car does NOT have turbo lag. Low rpms, 6th gear and the boost comes on at part throttle right away.

*This was with PSM on, not sure how it would have acted with PSM off, but my guess is PSM off might have caused it to kick down.
Totally agree. Any "lag" I see on my CT is due to slow tranny kickdown. See "New Cayenne Owner" thread for more details. It looks like we may be able to get the shift points remapped to improve kickdown speed.

Here's a better test: At a full stop, turn off PSM. This should start you off in 1st gear. In theory, turbo lag is worst when the engine is at idle. Mash the accelerator. My CT FLYS of the line. No turbo lag to speak of. Having a big *** V8 helps here, but I really couldn't see more turbo or changed turbo settings for this car. It's just not needed.

If your argument is "More HP is ALWAYS a good thing" then I can't really argue that... :-) On the other hand, I don't think the CT is LACKING in the HP or Torque department at all.

Alex

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo ECU upgrades?