Sponsored by:

K&N filter instaled - review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:50 AM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter instaled - review...

The other day I installed a K&N high-flow filter in my peper and I think (maybe is in my mind) that it makes a little difference at low rpm power, seems more agressive on take off.

I remember when I first had a K&N installed in my RX-7, the boost rised 1psi and the car felt more responsive.

Anyone had a K&N installed in your Cayenne , any difference in power from before?

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:37 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Im going to install these air filters **** i forget its name I think BMC or something like that hahaha
Old 09-15-2004, 03:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the BMC filters and had the same experience, you feel it in your pants and hear it a little.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Measure it on a dyno if you really want to know what difference it makes. The Seat of the Pants meter is notoriously subject to the palcebo effect when it comes to power upgrades. I'm not saying it don't do anything, but until the effects have been objectively measured, it doesn't make sense to go changing an otherwise perfectly good air filter.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear ya !

Many have said this before, and by itself I doubt you would see any diffference on a dyno, but the pickup seems better, not increased torque, but wind up.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:43 PM
cayenneman
Advanced

nyc where did you get the filter and how much was it?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:48 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by cayenneman
nyc where did you get the filter and how much was it?
Fox Performance It was $40.81+ s/h, not bad at all IMO.
Strauss auto parts qouted me $160.00 to order it, so I sayd "hell no" I google'd and found it for less than 50 bux shipped.

Originally Posted by Jessa
Measure it on a dyno if you really want to know what difference it makes. The Seat of the Pants meter is notoriously subject to the palcebo effect when it comes to power upgrades. I'm not saying it don't do anything, but until the effects have been objectively measured, it doesn't make sense to go changing an otherwise perfectly good air filter.
Honestly I can care less if it adds 2-3 hp more and less, not much of a gain anyway.
K&N is a good filter and is worth having it in there plus I will never need a new one again, just wash that baby... definitely worth the 50 bux.

Originally Posted by mudman2
I have the BMC filters and had the same experience, you feel it in your pants and hear it a little.
I beleive I felt a slight difference also in take-off, In higher rpm or highway driving probobly doesn't help much.

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:55 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First and easiest thing I did to my CS. Just makes sense better air flow has to be better and everyone that is into better performance changes air in and out of the air pump. Then I took off the rear cats (serve no purpose and are heavy) Increased air out. Oh yea, Took off stock muffler also, Gee I think the CS sounds a LITTLE different. Oh yea change that chip while you are at it. The above has made a performance difference! And no I did not waste my time with a dyno, Still have a life. Now go that that dang thing to a track and find out!! Oh yea Champion performance lowering springs (about an inch 1/2) and a oh yeah cross drilled cryofrozen front brake rotors help too!!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Dont forget 22" wheels these give you a 30% side wall! and 10" wide wheel with 295 foot print. That'll put some rubber on the track for ya!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NYC Cayenne
K&N is a good filter and is worth having it in there plus I will never need a new one again, just wash that baby... definitely worth the 50 bux.
K&N really is not that great of a filter, you would not be happy to see what it lets by... you can test it if you want, put a small smear of grease or oil after the filter, run the car for a week or two, then go check and see what that baby let by, into your engine so that your piston rings can message that stuff into your cylinder walls...
~Eyal
Old 09-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta agree with Eyal, the reason the K&N is less restrictive is because it doesn't do much to filter the junk out. The race shop that works on my 951 says the K&N isn't too bad when it's new, but once you've washed it and oiled it it's just about worthless. I put a Mahle paper filter in my 951 after a few track days with the K&N a couple years ago, and noticed no degradation in performance with the paper filter. (The car came with a K&N from the previous owner.)

With all the engineering talent that Porsche AG has applied to developing the Cayenne, I'd expect them to have put some thought into the best filtration for the intake air. IMHO I'll stick with the more restrictive but more effective filter. YMMV!

Old 09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

tkerrmd
Wow, you got some work done already,,,
I don't think I'm ready yet for all that, got to save up a little, even though a set of 22" Techart's have been in my list for a while now, that's next, I love the looks of those wheels!!!
BTW are those 22" Techart's on you Cay.?

Eyal 951 , Renn 951
Realy?
I never did any testing or anything to say that K&N is the best filter out there but since they been out people have used them with great results for years.

BTW I never looked into the BMC filters till recently, I hear they are the leading manufactors for high quality products, ferrari, lambo etc... used those mostly.
What do you guys/gals think about these filters ?

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

What chip did you put in? What were the results?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Rick,

I had a power chip put in. ? 20 hp on 93 octane. I think this with the K&N filter back cats off and muffler removed (replaced with Audi resonators) made a real difference. Plus sounds GREAT! No dyno results chip hp manufact data. My dealer pulled my ECU had it done and cont to stand behind the warranty. Very expensive for just the chip but I think worth it.

Nice 944 I had a very similar one you have good taste!
Old 09-19-2004, 03:31 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

And what about when the time comes to replace or repair/clean your MAFS, Mass Air Flow Sensor, due to oil contamination from the oil wicking away from the K&N (etc) at WOT high airflow rates?

JUst what is the velocity of the intake airflow at WOT and max RPM??

Quick Reply: K&N filter instaled - review...