Sponsored by:

K&N filter instaled - review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:12 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wwest
should I change the K&N? Or wait until an upgrade for my MAFS comes out!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:37 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont like K&N's on late models cars due to the fact the oil contaminates and causes MAF's to fail. On both my SVT truck and M5 using K&N's for airbox filters is a NO NO esp on the Bimmer. MAF sensors are not cheap items and for the very minimal amount of gain if any, its not worth replacing w/ K&N. Plus when MAF's fail the vehicles runs like utter crap until you fix it yourself or take to dealer which is loss of time and hassle for most. Most new cars these days that if u do not upgrade the ECU or chip, putting exhaust or intake mod's actually do nothing and some case lose horsepower after a day or two of putting the mod on due to the factory ECU correctiing itself.

I could be totally wrong about the CAY response to K&N oil but better safe than sorry since you are only getting psychological Horsepower.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:39 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

woogiedaxel
Better safe than sorry, Ill change out filter.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:44 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woogiedaxel
I dont like K&N's on late models cars due to the fact the oil contaminates and causes MAF's to fail. On both my SVT truck and M5 using K&N's for airbox filters is a NO NO esp on the Bimmer. MAF sensors are not cheap items and for the very minimal amount of gain if any, its not worth replacing w/ K&N. Plus when MAF's fail the vehicles runs like utter crap until you fix it yourself or take to dealer which is loss of time and hassle for most. Most new cars these days that if u do not upgrade the ECU or chip, putting exhaust or intake mod's actually do nothing and some case lose horsepower after a day or two of putting the mod on due to the factory ECU correctiing itself.

I could be totally wrong about the CAY response to K&N oil but better safe than sorry since you are only getting psychological Horsepower.
All right, you scared me enough, I'm going to change it back to paper, good thing I saved the stock one.

Thanks for the input, it makes alot of sense.

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:06 AM
928FIXER
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to here that.I like K&N filters.I get a lot of diag time to check out why the CEL is on and then sell a lot of new MAF's to get it to out.OH...and a new paper filter to replace the K&N!

Quick Reply: K&N filter instaled - review...