Sponsored by:

Skid plate installed... DIY instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:49 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question

OK, I've got to ask the dumb question here. My CT has a plastic looking skidplate installed. I assume from the pictures that this is a different unit? It looks like stainless or brushed aluminum.

If you already have the plastic unit, does that change the install instructions?

Alex
Old 08-31-2004, 06:06 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No it is placed on top of the skid plate you have. Thus the need for the drill.

Eric
Old 08-31-2004, 11:29 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

My younger son took the front bumper off his GTI by himself and he's 17, so we can probably tackle it! (His older brother took the front bumper off his Audi TT to mod the headlights as well- see a pattern here???) Should look great on a black pepper!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:50 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help to remove the front bumper!

This morning I tried to install the skid plate as insturction provied by SANDOVAL. I can't get the front bumper to come out. I had all the screws removed, the wheel well, under the bumper, & top of the bumper under the hood. I just can't find the lever that SANDOVAL decripted in his instruction. I stucked and finally put everything back together.

SANDOVAL, did you take a picture where those levers locate? Anyone, please help if you have the bumper removal instruction. I don't my 05 bumper is any different to 04. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Both are Directly in front of the side turn signal lenses maybe 8" or so.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:30 PM
gchu
Advanced

Sandoval,

Thanks for the quick response. The side turn signal, do you mean the side maker? Do I reach it from the side wheel well or from the engine bay? I looked inside where the side makers are but can't find anything look like a lever.

Also, I can't find the two screws you mentiioned "There are 2 torx screws near the bumper turn signals one up one forward on each side." I think you mean the screws at the wheel well.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 04:43 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Okay yes the side markers. Those are the two torx "screws" near the side marker, one up, one forward.

The lever which feels like a wedge on the drivers side lifts towards the passenger side. Then the opposite for the passenger side lever. It can only be accessed by going through the wheel well. Turning the tires will definatley help. On the drivers side I would use your right are to access the lever. It is located about the same level as the side marker just in front of it.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:31 PM
gchu
Advanced

Thanks Sandoval, this should give me enough information for another try, but have to will till next weekend. This time If I have it a part, I will take some pictures for those critical points.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:46 PM
gchu
Advanced

The dealer who sold me the kit sent me the bumper removal insturction. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:56 PM
WCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to post the bumper removal instruction that your dealer sent you? I'm going to install the skid plate as well this weekend, and would like to use as little time as possible.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:37 AM
gchu
Advanced

WCS,

I don't know is it allow to post copy of service manual here. To be safe, you got PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:39 AM
gchu
Advanced

WCS, I just found out you don't have your email listed. Send me a PM and I will reply you the instruction.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,260 Posts

gchu,

If you don't mind could I get a copy o fthat info also.

I will send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
gchu
Advanced

I finally have it installed today. Even with the instruction from the dealer, it took me & my brother over 3 hours to put it in. The instruction is clear states there are two screws inside of the wheel housing liner but it took me over an hour to find the screw #6. The first one is right next to headlight washer inside the wheel housing liner. For those who is going to do it your self, #6 is right above the side marker at the edge of the fender. You have to look up from the ground to able to see that screw. The diagram from the instruction #6 seems to be all the way inside the wheel housing liner. There are one additional screw has to be removed and it is not in the instruction. Maybe it MY 04 & 05 different? The extra screw is right next to #6, locate above the side marker inside the wheel housing liner. After that, the bumper came off easy and I did pull any lever. The bumper slided right out. I also had problem to remove the hose from the headlight washer. Endup I just cut out 1".

Also, if you are planning to install the clear side markers, you should do it at the same time. I don't know is it possible to remove the side maker without slide out the bumper. I am grad that I have the side makers ready. Unlike the 996, 3 minutes for the side makers install. The Cayenne is so much more complicated.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:20 PM
gchu
Advanced

After I review my procedure, the 1st screw "The first one is right next to headlight washer inside the wheel housing liner" might not be necessary.

Also the extra screw I mentioned above, it has a double washers gluded together where the screw go. The washer fell off and I didn't where it was from. I found out later from the other side of the bumper.

Quick Reply: Skid plate installed... DIY instructions