Sponsored by:

Windshield condensation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:21 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield condensation...

If you are experiencing this problem, of which Porsche is very well aware, there are postings on a forum unique to the VW Toureg that indicates VW has released a firmware update to solve it.

I first reported the problem with my 01 C4 in May of 01 as I returned it to the factory for shipment to the US. To date Porsche has refused to address the issue even though the shops seem to be fully aware of it and the hazardous driving potential therefrom.

The Bellevue Barrier service manager and I just recently verified that the 04 996 models still have this problem.

Last edited by wwest; 10-27-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:38 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So, what is the problem?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:21 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996?

And why are we talking about C4's in the Cayenne forum?

Alex
Old 08-28-2004, 06:00 PM
wwest
Drifting

The Porsche (Bosch??) climate control system appears to have a fairly serious design flaw. When the A/C is on and the system is in cooling mode and once the cabin has acclimated to something near the temperature setpoint the system will automatically begin to route a significant portion of the CHILLED airflow to the interoir surface of the windshield via the defrost/defog/demist outlet ducts.

Once the windshield is chilled to the dewpoint of the outside atmosphere condensation will begin to form on the OUTSIDE of the windshield. This can happen reasonably suddenly and at night it is difficult to notice before your forward vision is severely obscured.

I recently did a search on google for "windshield condensation" and came across a Touareg forum wherein many owners are having this problem and some are reporting that VW has a fix available that involves reprogramming the climate control ECU.

I posted the note here because I assumed that since my C4 has the problem and the Touareg does then it is highly likely that the Cayenne does also. Actually if you browse the later air-cooled 911 forums you will discover some complaints of this nature over there also.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed it as well, but thought that I simply did not know the proper adjustments. Mostly condensation on the lower windshield when the AC is on. Keep us updated.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

set the temp to 74 to stop it happening, your fighting the dew point, my MB used to do it also.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 AM
wwest
Drifting

Set the temp to 74F.........

It doesn't help, once the system cools the cabin down to ~76F, the system starts distributing the CHILLED A/C airflow from the dash AND the defrost/defog/demist windshield ducts. I have used two ways to defeat this aspect...

One is to manuall select dash outlets and/or dash and footwell outlets. However, using the footwell outlets in recirc during cooling operations is not a good idea.

The second method I more often use also results in improved fuel economy. Run the system on max cool and then use the blower speed to regulate your comfort level. At the max cool setting the system NEVER routes the aurflow to the windshield.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Strange this normally occurs in hotter climates than you are in. There was a very technical description of why this happens last year, you might try a search. It occurs mainly on the passenger side as I recall, unlike the Mercedes which would "flash fog" the whole windscreen and force me to use defost and wipers.

In my case leaving the setting to auto and raising temp to 74 both sides stops this from ever happening.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM
wwest
Drifting

Correction...

Inadvertantly discovered that a max cool setting does not allow defrost/defog/demist to operate properly, gets only COLD airflow. But a setting of 1 degree above max cool, 64F in my case(01 C4), seems to work fine, HOT airflow to the windshield in defrost/defog/demist mode.

And 64F is probably still low enough that it's never reached and so there would likely be little danger of the system automatically switching to partial windshield cooling and the resultant potential for windshield condensation.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You must have eskimo blood !
Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Just set it to not blow on the windshield. All my cars do that.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:56 PM
wwest
Drifting

Eskimo blood......

No, I adjust the blower speed to attain my comfort level. But in a way you're right, the airflow does come out of the dash vents quite cold, but a low(est) blower speed moderates the overall cooling level very well.

Quick Reply: Windshield condensation...