Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contradiction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 08:46 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you want speed and towing or offroad capabilities? The 911 and M5 aren't even close.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:12 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

If you are towing a boat and you're concerned with 0-60 times, you shouldn't be towing a boat. The S is plenty offroad capable. Again the only advantage the S has over the TT is acceleration. It will do anything else equally well, and we know what to buy if speed is our concern . . .
Old 08-28-2004, 09:13 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

make that the TT over the S*
one nation . . . under dog
Old 08-28-2004, 11:35 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
If you are towing a boat and you're concerned with 0-60 times, you shouldn't be towing a boat. The S is plenty offroad capable. Again the only advantage the S has over the TT is acceleration. It will do anything else equally well, and we know what to buy if speed is our concern . . .

Ummmm. No offense, but have you EVER TOWED A BOAT?

When I'm towing my boat, the extra HP of the TT IS AT IT'S MOST USEFUL!!

Going up a steep hill, boat in tow, the turbos are really cranking. Especially at altitude (5000 ft or more), the turbos really help. In reality, I don't get to drive my Boxster flat out very often. However, I drive my TT flat out all the time (when towing, I'm at full throttle in several places that are particularly steep). There is no such thing as "too much horsepower."

Alex
Old 08-29-2004, 09:30 AM
TheTKDKid
Intermediate

If you need speed and 5 doors, luxury, comfort, etc., get an M5.

This does not take into account the AWD factor. The M5 is an awesome vehicle, but simply does not handle well in the snow. My neighbor has to leave his at the bottom of the street we live on every time he comes home from work and it has snowed. And I'm not talking about a foot of snow, just a couple of inches and he has to use his own horsepower to get home.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTKDKid
Many Porsche fanatics want/need a vehicle with four doors and are willing to deal with the Kraut engineering.

Come on now. It's fine to belittle poor engineering, and even worse quality control that is often evidenced in the Cayenne. You didn't need to include an adjective that many would consider ethnically offensive
Oh please.. You have got to be kidding. God forbid anyone says anything that isn't perfectly politically correct. Some people really need to get a grip.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Periokid
Pro

I see you are comparing the S and turbo. Keep in mind the turbo comes with much more standard equipment then the S. I was going to buy a loaded S but the price was almost that of a turbo. So I got the turbo.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Periokid
Pro

Originally Posted by TheTKDKid
If you need speed and 5 doors, luxury, comfort, etc., get an M5.

This does not take into account the AWD factor. The M5 is an awesome vehicle, but simply does not handle well in the snow. My neighbor has to leave his at the bottom of the street we live on every time he comes home from work and it has snowed. And I'm not talking about a foot of snow, just a couple of inches and he has to use his own horsepower to get home.
Don't expect too much from the Cayenne either, unless you change the tires for the winter. Put snows on the M5 and it would do fine (unless the snow is too deep).
Old 08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
TheTKDKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Periokid
Oh please.. You have got to be kidding. God forbid anyone says anything that isn't perfectly politically correct. Some people really need to get a grip.
This is not a matter of being politically correct. Your remark was derogatory and offensive, pure and simple.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
I'm confused. if you bought a cayenne, espcially the turbo, performance is a big part of the equation. i can't reconcile spending that much for 456 horsepower if you never want to use them. with that said, all other reasons can be justified with other vehicles. what am i missing? in terms of performance, there are other vehicles that out run the CT while still providing consolation for the other reasons one might have for purchasing a cayenne (space, etc.)
please fill me in.
...because we CAN, and some of us do not care about LIMITED budget...some of us have MONEY to burn...and we want the best...

Pointless discussion, you obviously did not test driven one...
Drive CayTT first, then many things will appear more clear to you...

...it's the same.., why we buy carreraTT instead of just carrera, ...even Boxster. Even Boxster/Carrera have enough engine to drive american hiways in a sporty manner at 55/65 mi/h...

Porsche TTs including CayTT are made FOR AUTOBAHN left lane driving...

Last edited by ozr; 09-30-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:46 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

You buy a 911 turbo over the 911 because of the extra performance, which makes sense. You go for more performance in a performance car. The 911 turbo to the 911 isn't remotely analagous to the Cayenne turbo to the cayenne. The 911 turbo does what the standard 911 is meant to do, but better. The CTT has no real advantage over the cayenne's purpose, which, as an SUV, is to provide four wheel off road and towing and storage capability. And yes, I have test driven one, and I think it's the best SUV out there by far. But the TT is pointless. Why buy an SUV attempting to be a sports car when you can buy a sports car? The cayenne S serves its prupose very well. The cayenne TT is a waste of money in that is accomplishes no more than the S, except in speed, which is NOT THE POINT OF AN SUV.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:48 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

And with respect to the AUTOBAHN purpose, that is one thing i can understand. I can understand the need to have a vehicle that can tow and off road, but is capable of 165 miles per hour, IN GERMANY. in germany it would be wise to purchase a TT over the S becuase of the higher top speed which you can actual'ly exercise on public roads. Next time you do 165 in NYC, or anywhere in the US for an extended period of time, let me know . . .
Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Aeson
Advanced

Agree with OZR. Always better to have too much than too little if you can afford it. And the difference is more than just engine. If you want all of the features you are better of with a TT. Bottom line...buy what you want. You don't have to justify it to anybody (but the wife).
Old 08-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Periokid
Pro

I am not sure of the point of this thread. Obviously AeroGT3RedWing would not buy a TT.

I did and I am happy I did. There are a lot of car choices out there and I wouldn't take many of them. So what? I like what I like and you like what you like.

Power is a great feature to have, plus the purchase price include a large list of standard equipment.

Autobahn or not, I like power.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:23 AM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

make up a spreadsheet, that'll save you all this discussion.

as for wasted money, it was mentioned before, show me any other porsche that is completely

deductible!

k. a.

Quick Reply: Contradiction.