Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Vs Tuareg V8 and E-class Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:17 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bancu
I must admit I am not a big fan of SUVs in general. I am making a general statement so obviously not everything applies to the C. They are heavy, fuel consumption is huge, handling is (or this is what I thought) poor, safety could be an issue. So when the issue of getting a new car arose I didn't really want an SUV. But my wife loves the look of the T-reg. I was the one pushing for the Benz.

So we went to the Vw dealer and I was very skeptical about the abilities of the T-reg. I must say I was impressed. It did drive like a "raised" car. Then we went to the MB guys. And I told my wife... here is how a car should handle.... And in the little time we had on the benz I must say it was not that impressed. They only had the E320 (not 4-matic). The car is heavy and the V6 (which is way better than the VR6 in the T-reg for delivery) struggles a little to push the car. Sure the V8 would solve that.... but the E500 strarts at $66k. That's why the Cayenne S came into the picture.

I had read all the good reviews in the magazines about how well the C handles and how car-like the feel is. I like Porsches so I thought that maybe we ought to test it. My fear is that we could overkill it with the CS. We'll never do any spirited driving with this car. My 911 is my daily driver and we both track it when we want some fun.

At the end of the day it will be my wife's decision. I wanted to get some hints here on the board before we went and drove the car for ourselves.

Again I appreciate all the feedback and the replies. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

mamoroso,

I think if you test drive the CS and allow your wife to decide, you might just find that you may be owning a second Porsche. Although I have not driven a T-reg I am sure it is similar but not a Cayenne. I think you will find the air suspension in either vehicle would become a new favorite for the weekend drives.

I find the CT to be as pleasurable to drive (other than apparent size) in overall feel and impression as my turbo 3.6. I have owned several Porsches and driven numerous others and find my 3.6 to be as nice as any. For me to say that I think it is comparable in driving pleasure (although both are capable of things the other is not) is saying alot. I hated the idea of Porsche building an SUV from the beginning. After driving the Cayenne I have new respect for Porsche and can say I have eaten my words of the past. By the way with the wide stance and relatively low center of gravity the CT feels like an oversized 911 and nothing like an SUV, which calling it one is doing it an injustice.

In any case the cars you are choosing from are all safe and good quality autos. You should enjoy anyone of them. Whatever you chose please keep us informed of your impression of the CS and how you feel it compares to the T-reg. By the way I have found that I can stuff as much luggage in the back of the Cayenne as I have crammed in the back of my 740IL BMW and that is containing it under the cover. One more point, I have never seen my son fall asleep in the back of a car as quickly as he does in the CT. That in itself may be worth the extra 10k.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mamaroso:

I realize what I am about to say here is heresy, but here goes. I am a Porsche addict that also happens to be the father of 3 month old twin boys and a 20 month old girl. I went through a similar analysis about one year ago, and found the best vehicle for the needs of the children: The Sienna Minivan (XLE Limited Edition AWD). On a daily basis, I drive my '02 996. If your wife also wants a sporty car, she can pick up a mini or something comparable, but for the kids, NOTHING beats a minivan. I know that they are not sexy, but it is hard to be sexy with spit-up on your lapel and a kid vying for your attention from the backseat. The latest generations of minivans are specifically designed for the needs of parents and are very safe and practical. None of the options you are considering will be as convenient for hauling around kids. There, I said it.

My name is Todd, and I am a minivan driver . . . I guess that is why I started a local chapter of fight club shortly after the new addition to my garage.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Alan, I am in the mountains right now haver towed a 14ft laden trailer with my S 350 miles this afternoon, its almost like its not there. You are missing the point I think. Post the creation of the common elements Porsche does its magic and creates the silk purse from the sows ear. Drive both and make the decision for yourself. We did !
Talk about missing the point...the original poster stated he and his wife will not be towing or going off-road. While the Cayenne does many things well (towing, off-road ability, on-road handling, straight line performance, decent space, etc.), without a need for towing or off-road ability, an E500 4-matic sedan or wagon excels in every other aspect...on-road handling, straight line performance, comfort, fuel economy...while being about equal in space and, IMO, more safe.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am curious to know, have you actually driven any of these cars? You are comparing the basic structure of the Cayenne vs the Touareg and calling them equal discounting, in my opinion, what makes a car most safe. The ability to avoid an accident instead of survive it. A fair part of safety is how you feel and fit behind the wheel, how the car responds to your input and in this case corrects for your mistakes. I suggest you read up on the PSM, PASM and PTM features available as standard on the Turbo and optional on the S.
Yes, I have driven these vehicles. I owned a Touareg for six months and put 10,000 miles on it, have driven two Cayenne S's for extended drives, and been a passenger around the Willow Springs big track in a Cayenne S.

I've owned 911s my entire life, and am well aware of the electronic safety aids Porsches and all modern German sedans and SUVs have. Porsche's are the most lax, MB's are the most intrusive (and therefore the most safe for an average driver in an emergency situation), with BMW's falling in between. This is well documented in car magazines, and I've experienced it myself in the Porsches, BMWs, and MBs I've owned.

While the Cayenne/Touareg both drive like cars, when pushed there's no hiding the 5,500lbs. these vehicles are transitioning back and forth. While we agree that avoiding an accident in a responsive vehicle (and with a skilled driver) is the best way of surviving one, I maintain that a 4,000lb. sedan will always handle better than a 5,500lb. truck. A point of reference: Road & Track slalom speed for both the E320 and E500 is 64mph, but only 61.6mph for the Cayenne Turbo.

As I mentioned in a previous post, without the need for the Cayenne (or Touareg) towing and off-road ability, IMO the E-class is a better choice as it excels in all other areas.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:18 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alan-you are correct. the only reason to buy a cayenne s is because you want one (i own one). if you are looking for reliable awd transportation, buy a subaru forester. you don''t need a mb awd. people buy those because they also want one. i also own a 996 tt-a corvette, especially a new c6, would be a more sensible purchase. my point is, people buy these cars because they want them, not because they need them.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Vs Tuareg V8 and E-class Wagon