Sponsored by:

Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Barron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problems

For the second time I have encountered a problem with the radio having NO sound in my Cayenne TT. When this happens the PCM Screen seems to be working properly displaying exerything , but NO Sound. The only way to get it back on is to shut off the motor, remove the key and wait about a minute to restart it.
Also, sometimes after filling up the fuel tank, the PCM screen can go completely blank for several minutes.
Has anyone else experienced this? Since it is an intermittant problem I would hate to take it to the dealer and have them not be able to duplicate the problem
Old 08-05-2004, 11:29 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the no sound problem once in my CS. I got my CS off the boat in 5/04; it has a 3/04 build date. This happened as you describe it after I had the car maybe 3 weeks. It has not happened again (knock on wood). However, I have heard of others having this problem on a regularly intermittent basis. I suggest you keep your fingers crossed. It may be a short term gremlin. But do keep a record of when/how it happens, and at least call your dealer's service department if it happens again so you'll be 'on record' as having advised them of this issue.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rbaron,
what you experienced is a 'no audio' condition in the amplifier. your 'fix' is correct; shut off the radio, remove the key and wait for the MOST (plastic fiber optic system that connects headunit to amp to cdchanger back to headunit) ring to go down.....this takes about 2-3 minutes and you will know the MOST ring is down when the light around the headunit volume control is off.

some dealers will replace the amplifier/headunit/cdchanger, as these will have the latest S/W factory installed; others will do a S/W update via CDROM or PST2.

it has happened on mine about a dozen times or so. I just live with it, the reason for which is a story for another day........
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same problem, but it appears to been fixed by upgrading the PCM Firmware to version 3.0, plus upgrading the BOSE S/W. These upgrades also fixed frequency drift from AM to FM.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
it has happened on mine about a dozen times or so. I just live with it, the reason for which is a story for another day........
Those long days and nights of shortcuts finally taking their toll??

Hope all is well up in your neck of the woods, Lewis!

TBP
Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Barron
Intermediate

philg3

Where did you have your s/w upgraded at? The dealer??
Old 08-06-2004, 11:13 AM
rbaron
Racer

philg3:

>>I had the same problem, but it appears to been fixed by upgrading the PCM Firmware to version 3.0, plus upgrading the BOSE S/W. These upgrades also fixed frequency drift from AM to FM.<<

I know I've got version 3.0 of the PCM firmware, but I don't know how to check the version of the Bose s/w. Do I have to make a trip to the dealer for that?

Since mine has a 3/04 build date you would think it has the latest version, but I suppose anything is possible.

Thanks for your help.

--Bob
Old 08-06-2004, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Those long days and nights of shortcuts finally taking their toll??

Hope all is well up in your neck of the woods, Lewis!

TBP
Hi Toby,
Yes, things would have turned out a bit better if I had gotten a few people off the project (or off the planet ), but considering what it was when I started, 9 months later into production was sort of a victory.

Besides, I thought everyone ships H/W with a S/W update(s) as needed

Based on your Porsche cellphone installation experiences/posts, I think John D should present you with an Honorary Rennlist PhD in Porsche Electronics

Things are well thank you, hope you are fine as well.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

The dealer can update both the PCM firmware to Version 3, and the BOSE S/W. TSB for BOSE update is 9110. To determine version of BOSE S/W, turn PCM on, press and hold "Set" button, then press "AM/FM" button, and the Audio button at the same time. Select S/W Version by turning the Rotary ****, and confirm by pressing the Rotary ****. If it shows 00012115, or lower, it should be updated by the dealer. Mine is now 00012118 after it was updated. After the updates, I have had no issues with either the PCM or sound system.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:49 PM
rbaron
Racer

philg3:

My PCM has seperate AM and FM buttons...but after some concerted fiddling I established that my (3/04 build date) CS does have 00012118. So I'll hope the one instance of no audio I had was a fluke.

However, I can tell you this is no fluke and the dealer confirmed it: the cd changer has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately they are on backorder and no telling when it will come in.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
kevin152
Track Day

My CS had the same problem. My dealer replaced the radio and the problem has not returned.

Quick Reply: Radio Problems