Sponsored by:

Love that new car feel

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Love that new car feel

Just took delivery of Cayenne #2- swapped out the 03 CS for an almost identical 04 CS. Same color inside and out (silver/havanna), only additional options are 19" wheels, heated seats, and CD changer. Dealer treated me right on the price, even thought they had to go to a dealer 800 miles away to get the car I wanted.

Why change? Mostly did it to get a spare (!). Since it is the "family" car, I could not get used to the possibility of being stranded on a trip with #1- no spare, and #2- no replacement tire for 1500 miles

Only things I have noticed from my early production 03 and the late production 04:

1) Leather finish is more matte on 04
2) Seatbelt warning now chimes continuously if not buckled at the magic 2.5 mph speed. (arghhhh- but, oh well)
3) Floor mat clips dfferent.

Mostly, though, after 18k miles and about a year, I still love this car! Still an absolute joy to drive everytime I get behind the wheel.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Dear Gary,

Congratulations on new CS. But getting a new one just because of a spare?
I was upset about not having a spare too, but my thought is either to put a spare in the trunk if I travel, or buy a set of runflat tires when the current tires need replacement. I predict the future trend of tire technology is more and more runflat tires. Cheers!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

All those thoughts crossed my mind before I decided to pull the trigger- and more. My thought process:

1) No N-rated run flats that I could find (and I do not like the ride of any I have tried)
2) Spare in trunk= no room for luggage when I travel
3) No way to reto-fit collapsable, since I had 2nd battery
4) Exterior spare is expensive and not attractive (IMHO-no offence to those who like it)
5) Get a 2nd set of wheels as back up- fixes the issue with having no replacement tire for a couple days, but I really don't want a set of wheels or tires in the garage.

Bottom line is the Cayenne is my wife's primary vehicle, and I travel a good deal. Really needed the solution to be self-contained and easy, so new truck it was....
Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

The spare was initially a big issue with me, as well. There was no spare available in my 03/2003 production 04TT, but I do have the second battery. After following various discussion groups, and battery problems with only one battery, I rationalized that no spare maybe is better than having just one battery. I can always use the goop, and I have a spare set of wheels for winter use, plus how often is a spare needed anyway? That said, every car / SUV / truck should have a spare as standard equipment. What was Porsche thinking? As other have mentioned, putting a spare in the cargo area is a waste of space, and the rear mounted one does not look good to me, partially blocks the view out the rear window, and looks to be a hassle when opening the rear gate. Actually, I forgot all about the spare issue until I read this thread.

As far as getting a newer production vehicle is concerned, it should have the latest and greatest software / firmware / cardon shafts, and yield a better owner experience. Mine works quite well though, thanks to the skill of my service department guys. Not everyone is that lucky though.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Yep- I had forgotten about the spare issue as well until my wife had a flat while I was out of town about 6 weeks ago- and ruined the tire. Had to flatbed the truck, took 3 days to get new tire, and she was pretty upset. Extrapolate that to being on a family trip and having a non-repairable flat, and I really had to do something....
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Gary, Sounds like it was a real pain in the *** experience for your family, but as far as the ruined tire is concerned, I've been told that flats / other tire damage should not be repaired, it should be replaced on these vehicles. Too bad your wife didn't call Porsche Road Service, so that they could have administered the goop properly. A few years ago, my wife drove her Mercedes miles with a totally flat tire until someone honked at her, then I got the call. She was about 7 miles from the house and I could see flat tire marks in my garage on her way out. She must have been real busy working sales deals, and couldn't be bothered with such inconsequential problems. That's what I'm for. I agree with you: Flats are a bad deal.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

My wife had exactly the same experience- she calls me (as I am getting on a plane) from where she parked 10 miles away from the house to tell me the tire is "almost flat." Called Porsche assist, who determined she had driven it flat long enough to ruin side wall- tow to dealer for new tire.

I get home and the first thing I see is two black marks on the drive where she had pulled out that AM on the sidewall. Apparently the chassis on the truck is stiff enough that she essentially drove 10 miles with only 3 good tires- but did not ruin the wheel onthe flat tire. Actually pretty amazing, in retrospect.

Quick Reply: Love that new car feel