Sponsored by:

To air or not to air

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:52 AM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default To air or not to air

I have 02 996 c4. My wife is about to order a Cayenne S. We both love P cars but we cann't decide on the air suspension. Is it worth it? The Cayenne will never see a dirth road but plenty of midwest winters. My wife now has a X5 and thinks that ride is fine. What do your folks think?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:47 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your answer will probably depend on whether the respondent has one or not. unless you frequently see unpaved roads with snow drifts over a foot, i would doubt that you ever will need the capabilities of the air suspension, to lift the body higher. if you have the money, it is a nice toy to have (to change the ride quality, etc). do you need it-assuming that 99% of suv's and sports/high end cars ride on regular suspensions, what do you think? in addition, as you get off warranty, and the sensors, etc in the suspension have the capability of failing, you could have increase expenses. taking into the account the above reasons/issues, i would make your choice.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Come on Joe- you always tell me you won't remember the difference in price after a couple years! I think the ride improvement is worth it more than the level selection variety. I've been keeping it in low level most of the time anyway. Will be nice when towing but I don't think that will be matter for Rhonda...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

My CS lives in AZ and never really goes off road, it also will never see any snow. I have air and would highly recommend it. For me it has nothing to do with how high I can raise it as most people assume. It is all about lowering the car whenever I want. If I had springs I would lower the vehicle for looks and performance but then it stays low and if I did need the ground clearance I would be out of luck. I love driving it on the low setting. Looks great and handles even better plus I have the needed ground clearance when I do go off road. Air was my first option choice when I bought my CS.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't have Air, I would get Air....Just because.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Get air suspension. It comes standard with the turbo and in my opinion there is a reason for that: It adds significantly to the quality of the ride. Get it and you won't have any regrets while under warranty. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time make sure to get an extended warranty to cover its repair.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:35 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have air on my Turbo and I am very happy with it. When driving on a twisty road or at high speeds on the freeway, the low setting means great handling. I have a boat that I tow with the Turbo and the air suspension on the normal setting. Air suspension means that the truck is level all the time no matter what the load in the rear. Even towing a boat.

Even if you don't go off road, the air suspension really makes the concept of a high performance SUV work. The compromises that right height create can be changed at will and even on the fly.

Alex
Old 07-29-2004, 03:02 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

Air suspension is great. Can adjust for dampening from comfort/normal/sport plus the different height settings. I highly recommend it. Regards. Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Deke
8th Gear

Joe,

I have a fully loaded '04 S with air and my wife has the same thing (different color) with a steel suspension. While mine has more miles on it I do find the steel suspension to be a harder ride
compared to the air suspension set at normal. The initial shock that you feel on road bumps with
the steel seems to be a little less with the air. Plus I love the ajustability of the air and the way the car lowers itself when you exceed 78 mph. The air suspension in my opinion is the way to go.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:40 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a CS with ethe steel suspension. If the extra $2k is not an issue, get the air. While I'm not sure it's actually worth it, it is pretty cool
Old 07-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

If you don't get it, you'll take in the shorts on resale. The ride quality is really superior, the bride would prefer it - if she drove both back to back.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

See Joe, I"m not the only one!!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Another reason- just got done washing it- sure it nice to lower it when washing, especially the windshield and top- then you can reach it! Sure does look good in the loading position. Makes that Techart module tempting but then the tires wouldn't probably last any longer than the rears on the GT3!!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:33 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Its very hard to recommend something you've never tried. I have never tested a CS with the air suspension. My wife has the Audi AllRoad (has Air Suspension) and it is very nice. I would have bought it with the air suspension just with my Audi experience if it would have been available when I bought it, but come to think about it my CS rides very nice without it and I have no complaints.

Joe makes some good points and after some research I tend to agree. If it is now widely available and won't hurt your pocketbook too much, go for it!

You will not be disappointed with the steel double wishbone suspension though!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:08 PM
CWiz
Instructor

ok.. what if having it or not would mean buying or not the car ? (that´s my problem...)
By the way, this cayenne.. can you say if it has or not the air suspension ? or if this height is the same as the no-air height ?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: To air or not to air