Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A/C compressor self destructed

Just a sad story and warning of clicking noises from the driver side of the motor.....
Last week I noticed that my A/C wasn't blowing very cold. No problem, just probably needs a minor Freon recharge. Figures, it's July.
A few days later, on morning startup, there was a VERY loud clicking (like you would hear with a stuck lifter/valve) and it was idling very rough.
Lift the hood, no fluid leaks, oil is fine, etc. Kickdown the idle and it seems to go away. Drive to work and the noise is gone by the time I arrive.
Called my dealer and made an appointment, dropped it off yesterday.

Service called today. The noise I heard was the A/C compressor basically grenading itself to death, sending metal bits thru the entire A/C system. They are going to replace the compressor, filter, lines, condensor and evaporator and flush the system, just to make sure there are no metal bits left in the system.
(and while it's in, check on whatever is the recall of the month for the
Cayenne).

Last edited by ltc; 07-15-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Just had that happen to mine. No noises, just only blowing warm air. It is a pretty big job. No time and not all the equipment, so it is at my indie's.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most A/C compressors used on vehicles today are of the piston-less rotary type. Fewer moving parts results in less friction (= less HP loss), higher capacity and quieter performance. The valves/valve plate are manufactured from high strength spring steel and are of a stationary design where a flexing takes place to allow passage of gases.

In the event of a rotary compressor self-destruct, it is highly unlikely that any internals would pass through the compressor valves; unless the valves themselves would fail. In the event that they would, any debris would be found in the discharge lines leading to the condenser and highly unlikely within the suction lines leading to the evaporator.

Prior to replacing every single component within the system, the technician should verify each and every component. Any lodged debris within a refrigerant line can be easily cleaned; same for the condenser coils.

Basically, what I'm saying is that this case seems to reek of: lack of knowledge, laziness on the technician's part to properly analyze the entire system, and/or greed on the dealer's part to make a quick buck.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor self destructed