Sponsored by:

17" wheels fit CayS front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:25 PM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 17" wheels fit CayS front?

Does anybody know for sure (tried it), if 17" CayV6 wheels fit CayS? Specifically do they fit over CayS front brakes?

Did anybody tried this?

Info from the dealer is conflicting, seen somewhere on the web, that someone claimed this, but I'm sceptical...

Your input is appreciated.

Last edited by ozr; 06-22-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Pwilliams
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My understanding is that the V6 has smaller rotors so the 17" rims will fit. I went to a PCNA parts distribution warehouse tour/presentation on the Cayenne and the factory rep stated the calipers are the same size on V6, S and Turbo only the color of paint is different. I don't think the 17" rims will fit because the larger rotors on the S will cause the calipers to interfere with the rims.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with you. Maybe the calibers are the same, but I think the rotors are still different sized.

Will have to park next to the Black Cayenne tomorrow and check it out..
Old 06-23-2004, 02:57 AM
mu92688
Intermediate

My understanding is that the front Calipers of the V6 are slight thicker then the S and TT, that’s the reason I couldn't fit the 20" Kahn wheels on my V6 without a 5mm spacer which would otherwise fit both the S and TT without it. If we now go with this assumption then the 17" should fit the S.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Consider the effect on the PASM. It may constantly try to level itself.......

No effect on steel springs - but increase oversteer.

Neither affected if outside tire diameter maintained.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:24 PM
ozr
Racer

Question

Original question is for the winter wheel/tire package POSSIBLE implementation, applicable for offroad also. For this application much of the car dynamics physics change is not very important on slower speeds...

This idea of using 17" wheels, if possible, on CayS for winter (offroad?...) is even BETTER solution, than PORSCHE recommended 18+dunlopsM2 winter package (or recommended 18" Pirelli ATs for offroad).

There is a MUCH BETTER selection of tires, better price/availability (including winter tires) in 17" size, than in 18" and, of course, in 19",20"...

Of course, 17" are much BETTER for snow and offroad, than 18" and more...

Specifically, there is better availability of PirelliIce&Snow in 17", than in 18" (never seen it anywhere available in the US). This tire claimed to be superior to DunlopsM2...

...if 17" fit CayS front...

Dealers DO NOT KNOW, consequently give standard/"by the book" conflicting, unknowledgable answers...

Yer, Porsche dealer TECH knowledge IN THE US is pathetic...BIG difference with German dealer TECH knowledge for PORSCHE and MB, I know from experience, dealing with them in Germany...Very many things we know better (because we tried it, tested it, experimented with it...), than they in the US are trained for by PORSCHE AG...
Seems like PORSCHE AG doesn't release much of the TECH knowledge outside Germany...They prefer to keep other countries (like US) in the dark for their products...

All US dealers, I've spoke with, standard answer: "No, don't fit..."
Question: "Do you now for sure, tried it?... "
standard dealer answer: "No, never tried it..."
=> So, how do you know?...

My observations are:
The distance between the 18" front weel and the tightest area of the brakes is about 0.5", which is about the same as difference between 18" and 17" on each side of the wheel ( (18"-17")/2=1"/2 )...

...so, conclusion is, that it MAY fit, but MAY be very tight for operation...?
Anybody think different or tried it?...

Your continuous smart ideas are appreciated...

Last edited by ozr; 06-23-2004 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 17" wheels fit CayS front?