Another Headlight / Turn Signal Condensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 02:01 PM
997.one
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Another Headlight / Turn Signal Condensation Thread

Here we are again.

After reading many threads I did a front end refresh complete with new turn signals, polishing the headlight lenses, added ppf, and used high temp RVT to seal them up.

I am blown away.

I have condensation in a NEW oem turn signal and after about a month, a large amount of condensation, with large drips, in the headlight housing.

I am going to apply more RVT as the other headlight seems to be holding up fine. I am curious… as anyone permanently closed the bottom vent/drain on the bottom of the headlight housing? Seems silly to have it as most other manufacturers have a fully closed housing.

What am I missing?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:42 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

It would help to know which year and trim we're talking about here.
Was the headlight leaking beforehand, or only after you messed with everything?
RTV around the outside of a 957 headlight is a crapshoot. I had to pry open the lens, clean out the old factory RTV, and reseal the lens. Quite a project, but cheaper than a new headlight!

I got offshore special to replace my leaking OEM turn signal. The new chinesium crap was leaking from day one even though it looked totally legit.

Last edited by slavie; 02-13-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:54 AM
997.one
Instructor

My apologies, 2008 GTS. I was getting heavy condensation in both headlights prior to the RVT.

Sounds like I may have to fully crack them open as well. Might be a good time to do some different internals.

Last edited by 997.one; 02-14-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.one
My apologies, 2008 GTS. I was getting heavy condensation in both headlights prior to the RVT.

Sounds like I may have to fully crack them open as well. Might be a good time to do some different internals.
Well then, sounds like a failed repair. I don't know if I've seen a 957 headlight moisture issue reported where fussing around with vents did anything - it's always the seal around the lens, and only a few folks reported being able to seal that from outside. No long term reports of success, most fail within months.

My re-sealed light where the lens was taken off has been going strong for 5 years now.

Turn signals are glued together, so you're not taking those apart. Either try to reseal from outside, or get a replacement.

For headlights, if you have Xenon lights with control unit at the bottom of the headlight, take that unit out asap. Moisture that condenses inside the headlight flows into the unit and kills it - expensive repair.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:55 PM
997.one
Instructor

Thank you for the response. Bummer that the RVT seems to fail rather quickly. I will fully remove the lense.

Quick Reply: Another Headlight / Turn Signal Condensation Thread