London and Paris want to disallow SUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:39 AM
gpto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London and Paris want to disallow SUV

Yep, those city think about disallow 4x4 in the city :-(

So, with my Cayenne, I won't be able to drive in those city, but if I drive an Audi A8 4.8 Quattro yes!!!! and what about 2x2 SUV like some GMC or SantaFe?????

They think SUV drivers are dangerous for other people because we think we are the king of the road, that SUV are dangerous for our planet, too much pollution, that SUV are too dangerous for other cars, that people are affraid when they cross huge cars.

If some company sell cars like Toyota Yaris or Smart, it's not my fault.

So, it will be better to disallow all huge trucks on the road too, no more bus too, no tramway only teeny cars that are so prective for the people inside.

I hate politicians for a while and I'm not near to love them one day

bye all

Patrice
Monaco
Old 06-11-2004, 02:07 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I dont think they will ban suvs
Old 06-11-2004, 04:58 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

Hehehe, sorry but that’s funny to hear.

I was driving once from Montreux, Switzerland to Evian, France in the little MB-A class, or as called "the baby Mercedes".

It was a 2 way road, where each car is driving in the opposite direction. nevertheless, the road was very narrow and I felt really nervous while driving. SUDDENLY, I saw a crazy Hummer H2 approaching, where I almost peed my pants

I've always been seeing H2's here in the states driving in the big roads, but never in such a little narrow European road, and I never ever though I will see one in there

So now I understand where these politicians are coming from!

P.S. gpto: that H2 had a Monaco license plate I clearly can see how much the people from Monaco love big cars
Old 06-11-2004, 05:53 PM
426H
Advanced

I don´t think this will happen.

IMO it´s better to ban Smarts, A-class Benz and those cind of cars. Cars? I mean rolling shoe-boxes!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:29 AM
gpto
Advanced

Default I agree for H2 but

Hey hey

I agree for the H1 and H2, they r too big for our roads, but the Hummer are quiet different of X5, ML or Cayenne.

....and I like a lot the definitions of "Rolling shoe-box" ;-)

later all
Old 06-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I only heard about Paris. The argument is that SUVs are too large for the narrow streets. Having seen the problem up close and personal I see what they are talking about. However I cannot support such a specific ban because once it starts then the precedent is set. Who knows what comes next.
The other issue is fuel consumption however again if somebody is prepared to pay European prices for a gas guzzler driving the city streets of Paris then let them as long as the vehicle meets emissions requirements which is also now in question for some of these SUVs.
I have no doubt that in Paris it will happen but remember it is just the inner city. Nothing to get too worried about.
I met quite a few French Cayenne owners at Le Mans and they did not seem too worried about it. One Cayenne Turbo owner (parked next to me at the track) said he would revert to his bicycle and garage his Cayenne outside the city limits.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I would like to see all transiting heavy vehicles taken off the N and D roads in France but I cannot see that happening.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 AM
rting
Instructor

IMO, it is foolish to ban SUV from roads because of size. I am sure Porsche or any other SUV manufacturers will get the legal side of it if an SUV got into an accident in a narrower road. What? Politian have nothing better to do and they are worry about the size of the automobiles? Like in Singapore, if you do not flush the toilet in a public washroom, you get fined?

I thought we in Canada is the only country in the western world that have interesting politians?

Quick Reply: London and Paris want to disallow SUV