Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is this oil leak coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 07:23 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is this oil leak coming from?

I have had oil leaking onto the exhaust in the right hand side of the engine bay for a while and recently replaced the valve cover gasket to address this. I was thorough with the procedure and am confident everything was done correctly. Sadly the oil leak is still there, and I'm puzzled as to where it's coming from.

The picture below was taken from underneath the car, looking up at the rear right hand side of the engine. I initially thought that perhaps the oil was coming from the metal line there which feeds the turbo, however upon closer inspection I don't believe that is the case. It looks as though the oil is dripping/running onto it from above, as well as onto the rubber coolant hose just above it.
Where else could it be originating from other than the rocker cover gasket though? Is there anything that could cause the gasket not to seal properly, other than incorrect installation or being warped? (it is neither).

If anyone is able to assist with this it would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Old 03-29-2024, 06:33 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you ever get this oil leak sorted out?
I have an oil leak in the same area and assumed it was the valve cover gaskets. I haven't done the VC gaskets yet, but If it is something else it would nice to know.
Thx!
Old 04-02-2024, 12:02 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
Did you ever get this oil leak sorted out?
I have an oil leak in the same area and assumed it was the valve cover gaskets. I haven't done the VC gaskets yet, but If it is something else it would nice to know.
Thx!
After looking at it some more I figure it must be coming from the rocker cover gasket, as there's no where else I can see where it could come from. I must have pinched the gasket slightly when installing it and this leak is the result of that.
Not keen on doing it again as moving that AC compressor wire is an absolute PITA but maybe I'll just cut it this time and rejoin it to save myself 2+ hours of painful work.

Quick Reply: Where is this oil leak coming from?