Sponsored by:

Are Cayenne owners suffering...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Barre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Cayenne owners suffering...

...as many "Lemon Law" claims and major system failures are Touareg owners? This is not a pan, I'm considering buying a Touareg/Cayenne but the failures I've read about spook me!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:28 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Nope

Nope. Love mine. No problems so far.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

I have a few nagging problems...but nothing I'd lemon it for...(Knock on wood)
Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 AM
offroad911
Instructor

At 15K miles my "S" is and has been near perfect. Isn't it ironic how the vocal minority can taint any product? I consider my "S" to be one of, if not the best, vehicles I have ever owned. I had two Tahoe Denali's that were truly junk when comapred to my "S".
Old 07-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "S" has been great so far. I really don't see the big number of problems on the Cayenne. There have definately been more issues on the Touregs. I read somewhere (don't know how factual it is) that final assembly on the Cayenne is mostly by hand and the Toureg by machine. Maybe the extra care of human hands pays off?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
I read somewhere (don't know how factual it is) that final assembly on the Cayenne is mostly by hand and the Toureg by machine. Maybe the extra care of human hands pays off?
Brent:

Having toured the factory in Leipzig two weeks ago, I can assure you that the Cayenne final assembly is mostly by machine, NOT by hand. The level of automation is amazing. One procedure they pointed out is 5% of the daily production run of 130 cars is pulled off-line for extensive QA checks. If they find any patterns on out-of-spec items, they can go back and address it for the entire day's production. I don't know if VW does the same level of QA at their final assembly.

It takes 170 production workers per day to produce 130 Cayennes per day. It takes 80 production workers per day to produce 2 Carrera GT's per day!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:32 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

My TT was built in MAR03, and now has 7Kmi. It works great, and I'm very happy with it. Sure there were some problems, but none serious, and all were fixed to my satisfaction. My previous SUV was a 2000 X5 4.4, and it had more than its share of problems, and one of them (start problem) was unfixable. BMW eventually bought it back. There are a few open annoyances, but they don't bother me much:

1) AM reception is lousy
2) Clock seems to confuse PM with AM between 12:00PM and 1:00PM
3) Outside Temp on PCM does not always agree with indicator on TFT display
4) Built in garage clicker optional on this $100K vehicle (comfort option) -- mine did not come with this option, I understand standard in 2005 model.

Bottom line: I think its a great vehicle -- expensive though, especially the TT.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

I have had my Cayenne four months, accumulated 5k miles and have several unresolved issues. These combined with dealer apathy have made Porsche ownership a major disappointment. Including statements that axle moan is a characteristic of the vehicle, denial that TSB's listed on Renntech.org really exist, etc.

I am nearing the point of investigating a lemon law buy back. The vehicle has been at the dealership over six times, several issues unresolved to date. As a result of my poor dealership experience, I have not brought up some concerns related to transmission harsh shifts, throttle issues, sharp turn acceleration clunk, etc. As a result I have no confidence in the long term reliability of this vehicle.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

I purchased a "used" TT in August. I have 14k miles and no problems other than the rear drip which was an early problem with most vehicles. Quick fix with a "jet stop valve". Most TT owners seem to be happy. More of the problem vehicles seem to be the S model but that could just be that more S's are produced than turbos. Overall I am VERY happy with my purchase from all aspects particularly stability at high speeds, handling and "fun" factor.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I could suffer" like this for a long time". I love my S more and more, 17.5K miles of smiles
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
cayenneKP
Track Day

I've also heard that romour. Mine's been just great so far, no problem at all [touch wood]. Cayenne is much better than I thought, especially on manual mode. Go for it, you won't be regret.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
beemaze
Instructor

I love how this vehicle drives. So smooth and power seems almost limitless. Have surprised a Carrera or two on the twisties --Handles great for such a heavy vehicle. Comfortable! Beautiful appearance! Always looking forward to driving it. No suffering here!

Now for the Minor issues (May '03 Build date):

1) Rear washer leak - fixed.
2) Recall A404 - required no seat belt change.
3) Recall A311 - required the cable binder.

4) Lurching / lag / e-gas issue - had the throttle valve and kick down adaptation performed in December 2003 - not too sure it worked, but have learned to turn off the PSM and use the tiptronic - makes for an entertaining and involving driving experience.

5) Dealer support a bit weak - misplaced key prior to sale took 3 months to replace, knowledge about vehicle settings and programming keys lacking - manual is little help either..

6) Clock and temperature and even speedometer (digital vs. analog) discrepenacies noted at one point or another but I'm rarely looking- I'm sure one day they'll come up with a fix for this. Kind of wish they had not duplicated so many features - was it really necessary from an ergonomics / design standpoint??
Old 07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I guess I have been lucky. I have had no problems with my 04 S. Just one recall but that does not bother me - take it in and get a loaner. It make me sad to hear all the stories about other's Cayenne troubles. Nothing but good luck here!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Lotus350
Advanced

Hello Everyone,

Well, after just one month of ownership, I have to say my feelings are good and bad. Good in that I really love this car. It drives so nicely, out handles and brakes my BMW 540ia with Sport Package!! I just can't imagine a SUV going so fast around turns and feel better than my BMW. Than again, it's a Porsche after all.

The bad part, and it's more of a disappointment than suffering, is that I am finding many little things wrong with the car. I plan to visit my dealer in about 2 weeks to get all of it addressed. Here is my list:

1. Seat Belt recall still open.
2. wire harness recall still open.
3. My rear manual trunk latch stop working. Can't open the rear hatch from my key or from the switch in the car.
4. Major Lurking from stop. At times, it takes about 1 second to get throttle response. Kinda dangerous I think.
5. One thump sound from tranny when the car is going about 2 MPH and I accelerate. It's almost like someone disengaged the driveshaft, and forced it back in while the gears are turning. Strange one.
5. PSM on or off, drive the same. Guess I need an update.
6. moisture in headlights. There is TSB on it.
7. vibration from steering wheel, not too bad, just trouble some.
8. To lock or unlock the car, my key pretty much have to be within 12 inches (rear) to about 5 feet (front) of the car. My BMW can be lock/unlock from upto about 25 feel away. I hope dealer can fix this one.

All in all, they are all minor issues I feel. Thanks eveyone!!

Peter
Old 07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
VinMar911
Advanced

I just bought a used Cayenne S and the motor, the way this things drives and handles is incredible. Having the same typical small problems, still waiting for parts to come in before everything can be fixed.

Broken rear seat cup holder
Rear washer leak
Steering column squeaks when I turn.

I think I may have fixed the comfort memory settings by using the actual key to lock the door, not pushing the remote after setting preferences. I will let you know in a few days. The only big issue that concerns me is the vibration/hummering and tire wear. I think it is tire/alignment related because it starts at 40mph, peaks at 60mph and is still present all the way to 90mph. I have not gone faster yet and I can feel it in the steering wheel. The inside of my 2 fronts are bald, Porsche is replacing and doing aligmnet as well all under warranty. It seems that many people still have the vibration/humming so I will have to wait and see. The official letter from Porsche stating this is normal is not very comforting either. There must be something going on here so maybe we should start writing letters.

Quick Reply: Are Cayenne owners suffering...