Sponsored by:

Are Cayenne owners suffering...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Been such a great car I am buying another

Feb 03 build (chassis 1128), so an early production car. Had all the usual issues (rear washer, DME remap, seat and harness recall), but nothing serious. Have 23k or so on it now- bad alignment detected at 17k; dealer replaced both front tires and did alignment under warrenty.

If my dealer (hey, Marty) can find the right vehicle, I will be replacing it so I can have a spare. IMHO, only real flaw in the vehicle is no spare (and no ability to add a spare) on early cars. Wife (who is primary driver) really likes the color/spec level she has, so it has been rather tough finding the right combination. Hopefully will have good news tomorrow.

Great car- will say I think the dealership has a lot to do with whether you have a good experience, though. I would post about the dealer you are looking at and see what folks here have to say....
Old 07-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Barre
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies. The number/ratio of problems seem similar to what I've found on the Touareg forums. I have a 996 now and that car sometimes seems "fragile". The cost of major repairs is pretty scary (I barely dodged a $7,000 top replacement - under warranty by a couple of weeks). I've driven the Cayenne and thinks it's great - I just don't know if I can live with a second "fussy" car.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Mine has really not been fussy- my wife is a bigger PITA about her vehicle than me, and it is the first vehicle she has really been extremely pleased with. Likes it so much she is demanding an exact copy of the car she is driving now- trading to get the spare.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
hotpepr
7th Gear

To Lotus350--

Some of the issues you list are farily common and easily fixable. I lost the ability to open my latch and my gas cap. It turned out to be an electrical problem which affected the controller which in turn burned out the motors that operate the latch/gas cap.

Does the lurching happen only when the car is cold? It is designed to start in 1st gear until it warms up, and the lurching from 1-2 is normal.

Regarding the vibration, there was a shaft probloem which caused vibration at 50-55 mph in early models. I thought they fixed that for more recent builds, though.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

99Firehawk, I'm taking it to Cook Imports, Farmington Hills.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Question for 99Firehawk: Are you affiliated with Fred Lavery? If I remember correctly there was some negative posts on Roadfly earlier this year regarding that dealership. Have things turned around?
Old 07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

My TT is now 6 months old with 6,000. My dealer, 45 miles away, just had the "truck" picked up leaving me a 2004 S for the day. The car was detailed and my one complaint so far is being solved. There is a slight squeek in the steering wheel at low speeds.....a faulty spring to be replaced. After driving the S I was pleasantly surprised at its peppyness but very pleased that I could go for the TT. What a blast ! I've driven many different SUV's in the last 5 years including the vaunted Range Rover. LOL......give me a break ,folks none are in the same league for speed ,agility, fast handling on curvy roads and insane power on the straightaway......insane is the right word......5400 lbs that rocket you. The feeling at 90 is not much different than at 60.....even my wife doesn't know. I couldn't ask for a more attentive service department.....they want to earn my highest recommendation when the survey firm calls from Porsche. I'm sure the service and sales departments talk to each other as they should. I bought my car from the second closest dealer......competively discounted....and will gladly recommend them to others. I find it hard to believe that Porsche can be so successful a company by being so arrogant, rude, and stupid as is so often reported here. This is not my first Porsche nor only Porsche dealer I've dealt with over the years. There can't be only a few happy campers out there. You don't get to be the largest independent car manufacturer by "ticking off" your customers.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

99firehawk, Thanks for your offer to assist with my CS. I'm willing to give you guys a shot. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:08 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally posted by Renn 951
Brent:

Having toured the factory in Leipzig two weeks ago, I can assure you that the Cayenne final assembly is mostly by machine, NOT by hand. The level of automation is amazing. One procedure they pointed out is 5% of the daily production run of 130 cars is pulled off-line for extensive QA checks. If they find any patterns on out-of-spec items, they can go back and address it for the entire day's production. I don't know if VW does the same level of QA at their final assembly.

It takes 170 production workers per day to produce 130 Cayennes per day. It takes 80 production workers per day to produce 2 Carrera GT's per day!

Selecting 5% of a day's production, if problem, then check + re-work entire's day production?

I am not so sure on this level of QA as it represents a high / more relax level that I use - and I was involved in manufacturing much more simple consumer durable products in Asia.

See: http://www.thinkcentreasia.org/ThaiI...plingsize2.jpg and http://www.thinkcentreasia.org/ThaiI...plingsize1.jpg

I am nonetheless happy with my Cayenne S for 5 weeks now. The only problem I have is the radio - the no sound issue. Oh ... ah ... touch wood and hope there is no more before my next speeding ticket!

Quick Reply: Are Cayenne owners suffering...