Sponsored by:

Aftermarket GPS navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:25 PM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Aftermarket GPS navigation

Got the Bose Surround Sound regular CD/Radio head unit in my Cayenne S. Any recommendations on getting an aftermarket GPS Navigation system? TIA.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rting,
As long as your nav is a standalone unit that does not integrate into nor replace the stock headunit, you should have no problems.

However, if you were planning on replacing the headunit, you will find it very difficult, due to the use of the MOST fiber optic bus which connects the headunit to the amp to the cd changer back to the headunit.

A search for 'MOST' will bring you up to speed on the reasons why.
(MOST is sort of a sensitive subject with MY03+ owners)
Old 06-04-2004, 12:34 AM
rting
Instructor

I was wondering which model + brand would best fit - and not replace the head unit?

?? May be this one from Pioneer ... URL: http://www.avic-n1.com/ ... have not look at the specs as to whether it will fit or not. Also, may be there is someone who have added this unit (or other brand) and may be able to point me in the right direction. :-p

Megellan and Garmin have standalsone unit. Can anyone offer some comments?

Yeah, the MOST bus is fascinating. Not sure if people like Becker makes anything aftermarket or if people like Pioneer, Sony have anything compatible.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:41 AM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

rting

i have a garmin 2610 and find it very useful, actually prefer
it over the more acurate (rallye style) porsche system in my c turbo.
con: needs to be loaded - 2620 is preloaded, not built in
Old 06-05-2004, 09:26 AM
nicoff
Racer

I have a standalone Garmin 2620. It comes preloaded with US and Canada maps. Have had no problems and works great. Here is a site where you can find more information about Garmin, Magellan and other standalone systems.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=2
Old 06-05-2004, 03:38 PM
rting
Instructor

Any pictures which shows how the standalone units is attached to the dash? I am hoping to not leave any marks or stain (e.g. from glue of velcro) ... :-p

TIA
Old 06-05-2004, 05:12 PM
nicoff
Racer

rting,
There are numerous ways to "attach" the unit. The Garmin comes with two solutions in the box: 1) A small base that can be afixed to the car with glue (the GPS/Nav unit unit attaches to the base but it can be detached and installed in another vehicle), and 2) a "bean" bag that the GPS/Nav unit can attach to (the "bean" bag is secured by gravity only, no glue).
I use the "bean" bag solution and it works fine for me. I do not recommend using the bean bag if you are going to be driving in a spirited fashion, because that would make the bag (and the unit) slide and/or fall to the floor. Under normal driving conditions, it works fine.

Some units (Magellan) come with clamps that attach to the A/C vents. However, I have read that this vent support solution from Magellan was not well implemented and does not seem to work well.

Check out the site I suggested in my previous post and do a search for mounts.

I have no pictures to show you at this time. But if you still cannot find what you are looking for at that site, let me know and send me a PM with an e-mail address so that I can take a picture and e-mail it to you.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:23 AM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

regarding above,

there are sticky patches available to prevent things from sliding
on the dash -got mine at office depot but haven't seen it since,
anyway, it works well under the beanbag to, however there
still is a limit to the G's it will take
Old 06-06-2004, 03:05 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

Guys you are talking how to mount, but didn't say what to mount??

There is the new touch screen Magellan, and IT IS AMAZINGGGGGGG.

Very small and portable unit that the hard drive and everything is in the head unit (screen), unlike other machines, which their HD comes in a little case to be put under the seat.

The little monster has the whole U.S. maps and attractions in it, without changing discs or anything.

It's very elegant, and has an amazing touch screen. AND the most important thing that it has all the attractions. Like you want to go to KFC, you just punch in KFC and it shows you all the ones in your area and how far they are from you. Unlike the one in my CS, it sucks, you can't go to any place unless you have the actual address with you, or you have to go to LONG confusing lists to find what you want. EX: you are searching for KFC, you would have to go to 1)Point of Interests -- another option -- then restaurant -- then you have to go through all the freaking restaurants in your city to find what want, that’s if you were lucky to find it!!!!! Nevertheless if you enjoy that confusion, this option is available too in the Magellan!

Man I got my CS with the original NAV cause it looks nicer, Yet, I really regret not getting that little monster instead.

A friendly advice, don't buy anything until you see the one I told you about, and then you make your own judgment.

Man, I guess I sounded like a Chevy salesman It's just this machine it too good to be true
Old 06-06-2004, 05:39 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally posted by kerdmann
there are sticky patches available to prevent things from sliding
on the dash -got mine at office depot but haven't seen it since,
anyway, it works well under the beanbag to, however there
still is a limit to the G's it will take
You mean it comes in a sheet / mat form and feels like a rubber sheet? Non-slipping mat?

Like this: http://www.magellans.com/store/Acces...iesAA113?Args=

If so, does it work well for a little more aggressive driving in the Cayenne (w/ the Magellan or Garmin portables)?

Last edited by rting; 06-06-2004 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 PM
nicoff
Racer

The unit that Magicdracula is referring to is Magellan's Road Mate 700. The equivalent Garmin product is the Street Pilot 2620. Both units have a built in database with the entire map of the US. They also have touch screens. They are very similar units aimed at different users: the Magellan, has a simpler interface albeit less customizable; the Garmin is more flexible and allows you to customize lots of features and info.

I drove a CS with nav (a loaner from my dealer) at the same time as I was trying out the Garmin 2620. The Garmin unit gave me better routes to get to my home and, as magicdracula pointed out, a lot more options to find/search Points of Interest, Restaurants, etc.

FWIW, I find myself driving to POI quite often (i.e., let's meet at the Marriot on 14th Street in DC) and the Garmin has about 5 million POI which is more than double the number in the Magellan unit.

At the link below, someone did a comparison of a Magellan and a Garmin unit. The units they compared are the RM 500 and SP 2610, which have the same features as their big brothers (RM700 and SP2620) but do not come with a hard drive. Hope it helps!

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=10565
Old 06-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Dash
4th Gear

Check out the Eclipse AVN2454, that doesn't seem like a bad system but then again it might not be easy to connect to the Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS navigation