Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight slip out solved (for $2!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 05:34 PM
sloanautomatic
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight slip out solved (for $2!)

This headlight problem on my 955 has been a huge headache for me, but after 3 years I finally solved the problem. Hope this helps someone else.

The problem: The design of the headlight allows them to disconnect from the power source if you drive on bumpy roads. This is not an install problem. I get the click sound locking the headlight in place. I could then drive a mile and both my head lights would slide out.

A new headlight costs ~$1000 and wouldn’t have fixed the problem, I don’t think.

The solution: A two inch piece of foam pipe insulation keeps the locking piece from coming down. But it isn’t so much spring that you can’t unlock it to change the lightbulb. Cut the piece, and fill the hole. See photo.

BE CAREFUL: The alignment of this foam piece is very important. You need to make sure the seam on the pipe insulation lines up with the locking mechanism. See photo. If you do it wrong it will be very difficult to get the light out easily in the future.

Why it works: The metal piece will slowly fall down, allowing the light to come forward. It takes very little “spring” to keep the metal lock in place. The pipe insulation piece will degrade overtime, but it isn’t getting sunlight. So I’d imagine this $2 fix will last about 5 years.

cut two inch piece, fill the inside

Be careful to line up the seam with the locking rod Or you’ll have a hard time removing the headlight later.

Headlight goes in here.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:36 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by sloanautomatic
This headlight problem on my 955 has been a huge headache for me, but after 3 years I finally solved the problem. Hope this helps someone else.

The problem: The design of the headlight allows them to disconnect from the power source if you drive on bumpy roads. This is not an install problem. I get the click sound locking the headlight in place. I could then drive a mile and both my head lights would slide out.

A new headlight costs ~$1000 and wouldn’t have fixed the problem, I don’t think.

The solution: A two inch piece of foam pipe insulation keeps the locking piece from coming down. But it isn’t so much spring that you can’t unlock it to change the lightbulb. Cut the piece, and fill the hole. See photo.

BE CAREFUL: The alignment of this foam piece is very important. You need to make sure the seam on the pipe insulation lines up with the locking mechanism. See photo. If you do it wrong it will be very difficult to get the light out easily in the future.

Why it works: The metal piece will slowly fall down, allowing the light to come forward. It takes very little “spring” to keep the metal lock in place. The pipe insulation piece will degrade overtime, but it isn’t getting sunlight. So I’d imagine this $2 fix will last about 5 years.

cut two inch piece, fill the inside

Be careful to line up the seam with the locking rod Or you’ll have a hard time removing the headlight later.

Headlight goes in here.
thanks for sharing. Where did you get the foam?
Old 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sloanautomatic
This headlight problem on my 955 has been a huge headache for me, but after 3 years I finally solved the problem.
Should this be coined the: Sloan Fix?
Old 06-05-2024, 04:39 PM
sloanautomatic
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So sorry for the late reply. This is standard black 1/2 inch plumbing insulation from your local hardware store. I had to put a small piece inside to get the right level of spring.

Quick Reply: Headlight slip out solved (for $2!)