jamy85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.... I feel sorry for the poor guy
Old 05-29-2004, 12:11 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know will that poor guy read this board. I had the same bad experience at that BMW dealer few years ago. I brought my 740i in for 30K service and checkup because it was the last week of the warranty. I forgot what has been done but it took them over a week to have my car ready. When I brought it in the car was still under warranty but not when I picked up. When the guy drove the car over to me at the dealership, the driver side window was open. I tried to lower it but didn't work. I contact the service manager and she said that's nothing they could do because it is already out of warranty. So I have to paid $500.00 to repair the power window regulator or something. Anyway, this is also my last BMW for me.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, sounds vaguely familer:

found the first of two ignored letters written to BMW NA back in the 90s:

BMW of North America, Inc.
ATTN: Customer Service
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675
1-800-956-4BMW

RE: “Service” at Fields’ BMW of Orlando, FL

To Whom It May Concern:

Please see attached letter which was ignored by BMW NA.

This letter is a follow up to the horrendous service received over the last 12 months at Fields and expressed in the previous writing. After the difficulties leading up to the last letter, the car experienced more automatic top problems, which first manifest itself the day I bought the car new and had to bring it back so the top would go down. An appointment with Fields was set two weeks prior to the expiration of my warranty with BMW; however, it took 3 weeks to get an appointment at Fields. Thus, it “appeared” my warranty had expired when the work commenced. Therefore, they apparently did the work under “goodwill” erroneously. Upon arriving home from picking up the car, I opened the trunk to retrieve the sun visor for the dashboard. I found the carpet surrounding the taillight and power top motor completely unattached, and the rear taillight unplugged as none of these items were put back after servicing the top motor. The next day I put the top down to find screw driver pry marks where the top deck lid meets, and two good sized holes in the deck lid cover upholstery. On top of it all, the top STILL did not go down after the car would sit for a day or so.

The car was returned to Fields, and after another week went by it was repaired properly – fourth time was a charm at Fields.

Less than 1000 miles after my warranty expired under the 4 year limitation; the ABS brake light came on. Fields said it needed a $1700 anti-lock brake pump. They said it could not be goodwilled on my 31k mile BMW because they had goodwilled the top. As stated earlier, the work on the top was done after the warranty had expired because a) it took 3 weeks to get an appointment at Fields, and b) they had to correct the deplorable job done the first time. However, I paid the $1700 and immediately noticed the brake pedal had drastically less tightness, which required further depression of the pedal to stop the car. New rotors and pads were recently installed and the pedal was nice and tight before the car was taken in for the ABS light problem. Fields agreed to re-bleed the brakes, which failed to remedy the problem. Instead, the service worker told me they were fine and that my perception of the air in the pedal was wrong.

It is utterly amazing that in the 12 months we have lived in Orlando, Fields has managed to destroy 15 years of goodwill between BMW and us.

Sincerely,

Last edited by ben in lj; 06-02-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

Just goes to show you a bad dealer can make a good car bad and vice-versa.

Quick Reply: repost of a BMW horror story