Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs. luxury sedans

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 03:18 AM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roee,

For pure luxury, I test drove the GX470 and the VW Touareg V8. Both seems to me very luxury but both gave me the impression of a very busy interior. The GX470 rear view camera is nice and I have yet to figure out how far an object shown is away from the vehicle. The VW Touareg has a very confusing display of the low range + air suspension *****.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

The CS still amazes me each day I drive it or until my wife rips it off my vice gripped hands(I say this happens quite frequently). Whether on long trips or nice twisty roads- both very enjoyable(I like the twisties). If only my wife let me do a DE event : (. Regards. Mike
Old 06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my air susp S on a very twisty mtn road yesterday, just for a blast. It hangs on at the limit tenaciously. I had a dufus in a Saturn two door sports job, whatever they are called, try to run with me. Before I passed him I was charging into corners right up on him, well below my limit, right up against his as evidnced by squealing rubber. After I passed him and a dozen others I was even more impressed with the Cayenne. I traded a '98 750iL for the Cayenne. The biggest difference is the higher seating position and the fact that it feels taller when pushed. I know the V12 BMW would have run away from the CS but it is still mighty impressive for something so versitile. What I miss between the CS and my 928 is the feedback from the suspension, steering and exhaust note. All of those are much more intense in the car. Otherwise I find the CS to be a great all around vehicle.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an S500 and have owned an S430. Comparing those to my TT they are very different. The TT is very stiff and sporty in the comfort mode compared to the Benz. The Merc is great if you're into a luxury comfortable ride. However, I tend to be a very fast driver and want something responsive and the TT fills the bill.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:01 AM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

my feeling- the c turbo reminds me of the 928 gts and the v12 mercedes
i miss them both and i (almost) drive them both simultaneuosly - two cars
for the price of one
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

As the owner of a TT and a new 04 5 series, I can say this, both handle awsome. Both are comfortable. Both have wonderful, sporty feel. The 5 gets 30+ mpg, the TT gets half that! The 5, by the simple fact that it is a car with a MUCH lower center of gravity, simply handles better. Not to say that the TT won't hold it's own, but let's face it, it's a really heavy SUV. It is the best handling SUV (former X5 owner) out there, but still an SUV. I also would add that I feel a little more connected to the road in the 5, simply because it's a car. The TT feels more like a nimble jet.

For a family vehicle, I don't know that you can honestly compare one to the other. If you want an SUV, the Cayenne is the way to go. If you like being in a car and don't need the 4WD, then the 5 still does the job in grand fashion.

Now for the really shocking fact - the new 5 is both longer AND wider than the Cayenne! Who'd a thunk it?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Stirs
Instructor

I owned two Cayenne S's and now drive an '04 Audi A8L. To me there is no comparison and I don't miss the Cayenne's at all. Neither of mine had the air suspension which my have made a difference but I much prefer the A8L which is just as fast and offers a much higher degree of comfort and "luxury" . . .

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. luxury sedans