OK...

Heart tells me Cayenne S....

Common sense and wallet says BMW 4.4...

DOH!

Old 05-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Definitely go for Cayenne S. Get less options if money is an issue. It will match up nicely with your 996. X5 to me is also a good SUV, but it is made in USA (not that there is anything wrong) and cannot go off road, but Cayenne is made in Germany which I think should be worth more.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:58 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an X5 4.4 right now. Was just at the dealer looking at a Cayenne S. A comparably equipped Cayenne S would cost me $70,000+. The Cayenne is even less roomy than the X5, which is not real roomy to begin with. For us, an SUV should be roomy and comfortable for 5 people. I really wanted to leave the place with a new Cayenne, but I just couldn't justify the cost of this upgrade. No offense to Cayenne owners, I think it's a great vehicle. It just didn't really address all our needs. I think at $70k+, the Range Rover is a nicer vehicle. Performance wise, acceleration is about the same, maybe X5 is a tad quicker, Cayenne S handles better, RR is much more plush. My X5 is a 2000, don't have anything bad to say about it at all. I think it's a great SUV. Needs more trunk space though. Eventhough I'm a huge Porsche fan, IMHO the X5 is a better value.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:00 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biased opinion here, looked at the X5 4.4, was a no brainer for me...
Old 05-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Eric not sure where you got your facts on less roomy, but the Cayenne is not smaller.. here you go.. from Edmunds.. there very close but Cayenne is tad bigger

2004 X5
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.9 in. Front Shoulder Room: 58 in.
Rear Head Room: 38.5 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 57.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 39.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 35.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 16.1 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 69 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Exterior
Length: 183.7 in. Width: 73.7 in.
Height: 67.2 in. Wheel Base: 111 in.
Ground Clearance: 7.1 in. Curb Weight: 4927 lbs.
Gross Weight: 6008

2004 Cayenne S
Interior

Front Head Room: 39.6 in. Rear Head Room: 38.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 35.9 in.
Luggage Capacity: 19.07 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 63 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Exterior
Length: 188.2 in. Width: 75.9 in.
Height: 66.9 in. Wheel Base: 112.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 8.54 in. Curb Weight: 4950 lbs.
Gross Weight: 6790 lbs.

The X5 is a nice vehicle, I had one for 3 years, but its no Porsche by a long shot.. Don't forget a $70k sticker doesn't mean you pay that. As far as handling and ride, my X5 with 19" and a sport suspension was like riding in a truck, you felt every ant you ran over and towing a boat or trailer was exhausting at the end of the haul. With the Cayenne's Air suspension towing is smooth and easy. The Bose Stereo is no where close to the BMW's, the full leather interior is by far a better quality, you can't even get a leather dash on the X5. Bells and whistles such as drive & entry, automatic closing rear hatch, headlights that follow when you turn, Tire pressure monitoring and on on on.. I believe the saying is "You get what you pay for"
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin- my error, I didn't look at exact measurements. However, the vehicle just felt a bit smaller. I was expecting it to be roomier. Looking at the measurements, it seems nearly identical. With the front seats back to where I like it, the rear seat room seemed less than the X5. Let's face it, neither of them has great leg room in the back. I'm only 5'10" so the seats aren't exactly maxed out. I know both aren't exactly real spacious. Don't get me wrong, I think the Cayenne is marvelous, just not enough of an upgrade to spend a lot more money for my situation. My X5 doesn't have the 19" package. I know lots of people say the 19" package rides very harshly. You see, I wanted very much to buy a Cayenne. It just didn't seem to be enough benefit to spend another $40k today. Maybe I'll wait till my X5 shows more wear and tear.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Eric, sell the TT and the X5 and the problem is solved
Its good to hear that you like the Cayenne, so many knocked it before it came out and at the beginning, but driving one and talking about one are two different worlds. I see one in your future!! Porsche is like a drug.. I know this for a fact If you ever make to Fresno let me know, I'd love to see your TT
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 AM
rting
Instructor

Go with your heart.

Anyone - me including - who spends extra money (Porsche, Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, etc.) to haul diapers, skis, potting soil, and bulk COSTCO shopping around have a certain personal reason.

My used Cayenne S will cost around US$57,000 plus sales taxes, etc. at today's exchange rate. A fully loaded Honda Pilot and NEW will cost me under US$33,000. Common sense and wallet is fairly straight forward but if you ask anyone who had put money in a new dot.com company how they know from the accounting numbers that certain dot.com will (or will not) do well, these people will tell you that there is a certain element of "leap of faith".

You could call it a decision to "manage your future regrets" if you go for the Cayenne.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:07 AM
amontgomery
Intermediate

I had the same decision, so I drove them back to back, the Cayenne put a huge smile on my face, the X5 didn't - decision made ....
Old 05-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Drove both too...bought the Cayenne S and haven't thought about the BMW since. Every time I have made a purchase based on saving a few $$...it cost me more in the chronic regret of having a lessor product......AK
Old 05-24-2004, 01:37 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin - I know Porsche is like a drug. I've owned 6 different 911s. I'm sure the Cayenne will be in my near future. If I get to Fresno sometime, I'll look you up. But what opinions would you expect to get by asking the Cayenne forum about an X5 anyway?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

I expected to get positive CS feedback. I want a Cayenne, it's nice to hear good things about it.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
goplay
Instructor

I had an X5 4.6 and liked the ergonomic details, but I hated the automatic shifting, and it didn't handle as well as promoted. Also, even with snow tires, it would get stuck in the snow. The 4-wheel drive is really limited in capability: I'd get a single wheel spinning on my driveway in Tahoe: what a joke! Was fun doing donuts in the parking lot though!

I have a C-TT on order with advanced off-road package. Hopefully the 2005 will have the lurching problem addressed!
Old 05-24-2004, 04:09 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

I have an 2001 X5 4.4 with sport and most other options and love it. It rides very well IMO, does a great job towing the P car and I don't take it off road so wouldn't want to buy that capability anyway. The local BMW service blows Porsche's away- a big plus for me.

All that said I will look at Cayenne (overlooking the looks which I hate) next year (as well as the Toureag and RR). I would drive them all and get the one you like the best.

One factor in favor of the Cayenne is that it is a much newer design- and the bugs are being worked out from what I hear. I think the second gen x will not be out until 2006. Also they are not selling well no matter what anyone says- so sticker is just a starting point. Dealer lots are full of them.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Just got mine for $2k above invoice. So far in the 1hour I've spent with it I have mixed feelings.

Quick Reply: X5 4.4??