Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 PM
CayenneS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Keyless Entry

Are any of you guys having any problems with the key? There have been times where im there for at least two minutes pressing the button constantly, still to no avail in terms of the doors unlocking! It drives me nuts, somtimes its fine, while other times it might take awhile. It is just embarassing sometimes! Asked a Porsche dealership about this, he said that Porsches altogether just have a bad reception for the keys, who knows why. Anyone else out there having this problem?

It just drives me nuts !! Any possible fix?

Ryan

I would like to say that 1 out of every 200 times I want to get in, i have to use the actual key... one time I forget there was a key oh boy, us modern day people...
Old 05-19-2004, 09:07 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

Hey Ryan,

Sometimes I have the same problem, but it's whether beacuse I have the key in side my thick jacket or inside some bags with lots of stuff around, which i guess blocks the signal. Neverhteless, once I take the key out of my pocket and hold it close to the door, the keyless entry works like charm again. But it only happenes once a month or so!

I believe there is nothing called perfect, luckily our Cayennes aren't not too far from that
Old 05-19-2004, 09:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This topic has been discussed before and I believe both the Touareg and Cayenne have the same problem (stemming from the amount of stuff crammed into the rear glass spoiler deck).

VW has already changed the antenna location/routing on the Touareg to address this issue. Porsche has yet to follow.

An old RF trick is to hold the transmitter/keyfob under your chin when you press the key (really). RF skin effect will cause your body to act like an antenna, although you may feel a bit foolish at first......
Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

Opppsss.

Ryan, you said (Pressing the key) thats no keyless entry my friend. I though you had the system were you don't have to press nothing, you just touch the door and it opens itself. Thats what I have, then I guess all what I said above would make no sense since it won't aply to your case.

Sorry for your trouble (maybe the chin trick would work!)
Old 05-19-2004, 10:24 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

It is too bad that an exceptional vehicle is inextricably linked to a horrible key. On the plus side, the key has similar lines to the Cayenne.

Even with four antennas, scattered throughout the vehicle, for the standard key, this required function sucks. After all, it doesn't matter how great the Cayenne is, if you can't get inside.

My solution was to use the multi-purpose display control to change the door locks to unlock all doors and to activate both the turn signal and horn lock indicators. This way, only one successful signal is required and feedback is provided.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:24 PM
dawktah
Racer

Default Re: Keyless Entry

Originally posted by CayenneS
There have been times where im there for at least two minutes pressing the button constantly, still to no avail in terms of the doors unlocking!
Hey Ryan!

Please give more details about the button pressing. There is a period where once its in lock mode it won't be able to be unlocked. I found it easier to go into menu and check box for "horn." If you hear horn beep you know you have locked it. Have to wait before it will unlock, any attempt to unlock just keeps locking it. Haven't had any problem from either side or rear with service loaner. I have Entry and Drive on mine in bodyshop.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
CL
3rd Gear

Default remote

Just got my S back from the dealer yesterday and they fixed this exact issue. Had a 10 foot range at best and it only worked 75% of the time. It must be a known issue because I did not have to say much.

The range on it now is 75ft easy. On the work order it showed they replaced the remote unit (not the keys) and it also had a line item to remove the rear spoiler so I am sure they also did something with the antenna.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:15 AM
CayenneS
Advanced

Well well.. lol.. what can I say? I have the key, but not the completely keyless entry (I still have to push a button on the key to get in). As for the problem, it doesnt matter how close I am to the car, doesnt even matter if i touch the car!! it still wont work!! I look like an idiot sometimes, I move the key all around the place inthe air, the people probaly think I'm nuts lol. I hope I can get this issue resolved rather quickly..

Ryan
Old 05-20-2004, 02:33 AM
LegoDoom
Instructor

Keyless entry means you don't need to put the key in the door to open it. Entry & Drive is the one where all you need to do is have the key near the car. If you notice, you still need the key for that one as well.

Edit: I've only had the car for a week, but I haven't experienced that problem yet. I don't have much of a range, but haven't had to keep pressing the button to open it up.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Entry & Drive, so no issues here..but when I was chatting with the Porsche Rep last week he said the fix is to move the antenna in the rear spoiler that will solve the problem.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
thugn4reel
Track Day

Hey guys, well i have keyless entry and drive on my car, and it seems to work fine so far, once in a while it will give me a little trouble, nothing big. Like while im driving the car, on the dash is showed key not found in car, while its in my pockt or something. My problem is however, that my key has no range at all! is this normal or do i have a problem. I have to be like 5 feet away form the car to lock the doors with the remote button. It seems so cheap for a porche car to have a range of only like maximum i im luckt at 10 feet? Should i have this checked out? or is it normal for all cayennes?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Normal for Cayenne and Touareg, abnormal for any other car.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:53 AM
rting
Instructor

Got a range of about 2 car lengths ... read that I should "uncoil" the antenna in the spoiler.

Once I open the glass hatch back, saw 3-screw cover. Opened the covers. Saw screws that requires a TX screw bit (star 6 spoke shaped). Loosen those screws to open up the spoiler?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Itc said:

"This topic has been discussed before and I believe both the Touareg and Cayenne have the same problem (stemming from the amount of stuff crammed into the rear glass spoiler deck)."

I agree with Itc. I lived with this for about 2 months, and then finally pushed the issue. My area rep had the same problem and that helped the fix. The fix for me was that dealer removed the entire spoiler, re-aligned the antennas and then reprogramed the keys. It now works perfectly.

Craig
Old 06-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Itc said:

"This topic has been discussed before and I believe both the Touareg and Cayenne have the same problem (stemming from the amount of stuff crammed into the rear glass spoiler deck)."

I agree with Itc. I lived with this for about 2 months, and then finally pushed the issue. My area rep had the same problem and that helped the fix. The fix for me was that dealer removed the entire spoiler, re-aligned the antennas and then reprogramed the keys. It now works perfectly.

Craig

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry