Sponsored by:

PCM Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:05 AM
CL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Install

My S came with the standard radio (although I do have the Bose Package and CD changer) and I found a great deal on the Porsche PCM but I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

Is it a difficult install (can I do it my self)?

How much (re)wiring is there (assuming the GPS antenna is going to be the worst)?

What is the VIN-Specific harness people are talking about?

What is the difference between the PCM and the PCMII?

(BTW my dealer wants $4600 for the upgrade)
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

There is a seven page TSB that defines upgrading an S from CDR23 to PCM2. It is available to subscribing members at: www.renntech.org

It is not possible to COMPLETE the upgrade without the PST2, a $10K tool that the dealer uses to talk to the vehicle. But, that is only one step, near the end. It is possible to bring the vehicle to the dealer for that one step only.

Much of the interior is removed, the TSB shows what comes out, with okay detail. It is possible that the $2.5K shop manual is not required for additional detail on removing the interior components.

Porsche makes unique wiring harnesses for each vehicle, VIN specific. That way they may save on wire and connector contacts, to pass these small savings directly to the consumer. The down side is that the interior and the wiring harness must be torn apart for what would otherwise be easy upgrades.

Last edited by wingless; 05-19-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: PCM Install

Originally posted by CL

What is the difference between the PCM and the PCMII?

(BTW my dealer wants $4600 for the upgrade)
I believe PCM (PCMI) is a non-MOST (analog based) headunit and will not work in a MY03 Porsche (all of which are MOST based).

PCMII is the MOST based headunit for all MY03 and beyond Porsches.

They are easy to distinguish from the front, based on screen size and button locations.

Quick Reply: PCM Install