Sponsored by:

957 Carpet kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 12:06 AM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 957 Carpet kit

I discovered my AC condenser drain tube is plugged. I didn't discover this for a while due to having all-weather floor mats. My carpets are trashed with mold.

I'm struggling to find a 957 carpet kit. I've checked Pelican and Suncoast, but come up empty. Anyone know where I should be looking?

Mike.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:11 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 824 Posts

Ebay. There's a million old Cayenne's out there that are being parted out.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:37 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

I went to eBay to try and find replacement carpet. Mine was completely soaked, and ~15 years old. I found two auctions with 957 carpet, but one was tan (I need black) and the other was silver with the description,"...needs a deep cleaning". I have a 'friend of a friend' at one of the local dealers who suggested I could get new for around $1300.

Regardless, it seemed step 1 was to get the old carpet out of the car. The directions in the "955/957/958 Cayenne DIY: Wiring problems due to moisture" thread were pretty good, but it did not cover removing the seats completely. Removing the rear seat is mostly straight forward except for freeing the rear seat backs from where they connect to the side of the car at the pivot point. To do this, disconnect the seat from the center bracket and tilt the seat about 45 degrees. This will allow you to move the whole seat towards the center of the car and off the pin mounted to the body. Below is a pic of the pin and mounting plate that anchors the seat to the side of the car-

Once all the seats and the center console are removed, the rear carpet lifts right out. The front carpet takes a little more work as there is a center piece that connects the two footwells that's buried under the dash.

After reading a few posts, I was scared to death to go through my wiring... and was pleasantly surprised. On my 2009 957 S, there were no splices. All the wires were continuous along the entire stretch of front to back floor. The fabric tape was a mess, but that's easy to replace.

In my case, the culprit was the sunroof drain that runs down the door pillar on the passenger side. Only the passenger carpets (front and back) were soaked. The driver side was dry. That said, the passenger side was completely soaked with a pool of water remaining after I pulled the carpets out. The real problem is the foam on the underside of the carpet. It's about an inch and a half thick and very porous. It does not want to dry without coaxing. Only the low parts were wet, so I got a bunch of old towels and stomped out the water. After about an hour, I had it mostly dry. Sitting in the sun seems to dry out the rest. Lucky for me, there were only a couple small areas with mold. I cut those areas out of the foam.

I did not remove the foam that runs up the passenger foot well. Only the bottom of this was soaked. I dried it as best I could with towels, and then placed a fan in the car for a few hours with the foam propped up.

The carpets were a little worse for wear after ~15 years of use. Dog hair (I don't have a dog), people hair, stains, and loads of dirt and grime. I used a carpet cleaner to go over the carpets multiple times, and then left them in the sun once more to fully dry. Much to my amazement, they look nearly as good as new. Now I just need to put everything back together next weekend!

The following 6 users liked this post by gonzobreath:
604_957 (06-20-2024), Capt. Obvious (03-28-2023), max911 (03-25-2024), myporsche957 (03-21-2024), phatz (03-29-2023), SuperG$ (03-22-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-28-2023, 12:22 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

That reminds me of when I switched the carpet from beige to black in my 996 Turbo.

The following users liked this post:
gonzobreath (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 11:17 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreath
I went to eBay to try and find replacement carpet. Mine was completely soaked, and ~15 years old. I found two auctions with 957 carpet, but one was tan (I need black) and the other was silver with the description,"...needs a deep cleaning". I have a 'friend of a friend' at one of the local dealers who suggested I could get new for around $1300.
In my case, the culprit was the sunroof drain that runs down the door pillar on the passenger side. Only the passenger carpets (front and back) were soaked. The driver side was dry. That said, the passenger side was completely soaked with a pool of water remaining after I pulled the carpets out. The real problem is the foam on the underside of the carpet. It's about an inch and a half thick and very porous. It does not want to dry without coaxing. Only the low parts were wet, so I got a bunch of old towels and stomped out the water. After about an hour, I had it mostly dry. Sitting in the sun seems to dry out the rest. Lucky for me, there were only a couple small areas with mold. I cut those areas out of the foam.
The carpets were a little worse for wear after ~15 years of use. Dog hair (I don't have a dog), people hair, stains, and loads of dirt and grime. I used a carpet cleaner to go over the carpets multiple times, and then left them in the sun once more to fully dry. Much to my amazement, they look nearly as good as new. Now I just need to put everything back together next weekend!
I have restored several cars that had been used as mouse condos. So far I have been able to remove and clean the carpets successfully. I have used my pressure washer on the carpets when hanging over saw horses. The effluent that runs off is rather gross.
You can try a weak bleach solution on the bottom of the carpet to kill any remaining mold smell. A capful or two of bleach to a quart of water will do. Spray on, wait a little, rinse off. This can be used on the front side too, if you are careful.
The bleach also works on the carpet underlayment/foam/felt/whatever and there is no concern for changing the color.

In my situation I usually end up removing everything from the interior of the car - wiring, control boxes, everything - and pressure washing the inside too.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:08 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

@Capt. Obvious I'd like to see the final pics after the install. I'm betting that looks amazing.

@theprf I found no evidence of mice (I've restored cars with mice nests), and didn't find any odors. In my case, it was just dirt and grime. I was going to pressure wash, but in the end opted to simply use a a standard carpet cleaner with foaming to pull up all the dirt. As well, the tub wasn't so bad (once I got all the water out). I simply vacuumed everything out. A good sign was that the pooled water was clear when I pulled up the carpet. Nearly all of the grime and other detritus was on the carpet side.

I'm excited to put it all back together. This thing is in perfect mechanical condition (replaced Cardiff, rivet in the coolant fitting at the back of the engine, etc...). I much prefer this Cayenne to new models. Not quite as much power or acceleration, but much better free-revving engine with sportier handling... and now with an excellent interior.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:56 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

@Capt. Obvious I'd like to see the final pics after the install. I'm betting that looks amazing.
It made a huge difference.

The following users liked this post:
max911 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:54 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Wow. That looks strikingly good. I love the contrast.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:55 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

nearly as good as new
Awesome!

Shadow line version of the miter saw?
Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 PM
myporsche957
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing this right now in a 955 Turbo S but have a couple of places I'm stuck.

I can't figure out how to unplug 2 or 3 wire harnesses under the passenger seat. One goes to the Navigation DVD player, and I'm not sure what the other 2 go to.

And I've been looking for directions on removing the armrest assembly but have only found bits and pieces.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2024, 10:37 AM
myporsche957
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stuck in the middle of this project and could use your help.

Regardless, it seemed step 1 was to get the old carpet out of the car. The directions in the "955/957/958 Cayenne DIY: Wiring problems due to moisture" thread were pretty good, but it did not cover removing the seats completely. Removing the rear seat is mostly straight forward except for freeing the rear seat backs from where they connect to the side of the car at the pivot point. To do this, disconnect the seat from the center bracket and tilt the seat about 45 degrees. This will allow you to move the whole seat towards the center of the car and off the pin mounted to the body. Below is a pic of the pin and mounting plate that anchors the seat to the side of the car-

Once all the seats and the center console are removed, the rear carpet lifts right out. The front carpet takes a little more work as there is a center piece that connects the two footwells that's buried under the dash.

After reading a few posts, I was scared to death to go through my wiring... and was pleasantly surprised. On my 2009 957 S, there were no splices. All the wires were continuous along the entire stretch of front to back floor. The fabric tape was a mess, but that's easy to replace.

I did not remove the foam that runs up the passenger foot well. Only the bottom of this was soaked. I dried it as best I could with towels, and then placed a fan in the car for a few hours with the foam propped up.

I think I'm missing something in the armrest assembly and can't get it out. Are there screws in the front somewhere?

Does the rear cup holder need to come out? And how?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 957 Carpet kit