Sponsored by:

VR6 messy oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 10:09 AM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 294 Posts
Default VR6 messy oil change question

Hey guys I am looking at a 2008 Cayenne to purchase . Looking online trying to get smart on what to look for I noticed quite a few complaints about how messy it is to do an oil change . As a DIYer I have a question . Can a remote oil filter be installed on the Cayenne VR6 ?

If it can this seems like a good solution . I personally prefer a metal spin on filter vs a cartridge in a plastic housing . Just my old school mindset . So have any of you installed a remote filter ? Are the parts/kits readily available ? From VW or aftermarket ?
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM
mdistel
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It's definitely my least favorite oil change to do but I've figured out how to do it without making a mess. First step is to use the drain in the filter so if yours is stripped get a replacement, it helps to use a narrow funnel to direct that flow to your drain pan. Next loosen the filter and grab a large ziplock or similar bag. Wrap it around the filter housing and finish removal so that it drops into the bag before removal. This will help contain the oil as you have to route it around obstacles to remove.

Not sure about remote options. I wouldn't make this a major part of your decision. The VR6 is solid and seems to have the least amount of issues, we have 2 Cayennes with this engine.

Mark
Old 03-21-2023, 11:40 AM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 294 Posts

^^^ Mark thanks for the info . While this is not a decision maker it seems to be the biggest complaint about the VR6 😁 . And that's a good thing . I just spoke to the seller , seems like a solid guy and provided answers to my questions . I am mulling over the decision to buy .
Old 03-21-2023, 11:49 AM
mdistel
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Flex pipe and PCV would be good to check into, those are the only challenging repairs I've run into on our 2009. Driveshaft was replaced at 65k and jimmy fixed at 129k, that's an easy & cheap fix. The 957 is the best IMO. We have a 958.2 as well but I'll wait till it's older to decide if it's as solid.

Mark
Old 03-22-2023, 03:27 AM
Porsche957
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you think the cayenne is bad, wait till you get a Audi Q7 3.6. Audi designed it so there is a thick power steering hose in the way of the oil filter, you have to fight it to get the oil filter off and on. If you have collapsed motor mounts, you will have to jack up the motor to get oil filter back in. Ask me how I know, lol. I like spin on oil filters myself but haven't found one. They do have a metal oil filter cap from ECS tuning, but I kept the plastic one for now.

Quick Reply: VR6 messy oil change question