Sponsored by:

Putting car on ramps

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 02:44 PM
Santacruz
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Putting car on ramps

It is about time for an oil and filter change and I also want to search out a new coolant leak (Somewhere to the back of the engine I think - the plastic pipes were upgraded to aluminium, so I suspect the 'T' joint).
However, last oil change was done with the suspension (air suspension) in high and locked (with axle stands as back up), but it wasn't as comfortably high as I would have liked for working under.
I have a set heavy duty ramps that I plan to use (Can be raised when vehicle is on them, via built in jacks).
My question is:- Can i just have the car suspension in normal or high without being locked when using the ramps?
I haven't had air suspension before, so, do not know what I can and cannot do.
Old 12-24-2022, 03:28 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

OP - Simple answer is yes. But, as a matter of positive habit forming, why not lock out the suspension to maximize your workspace and use the same methodology to prepare the vehicle for work every time. Takes all of 30 seconds to lock out.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:04 PM
Santacruz
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
OP - Simple answer is yes. But, as a matter of positive habit forming, why not lock out the suspension to maximize your workspace and use the same methodology to prepare the vehicle for work every time. Takes all of 30 seconds to lock out.
Thank you for the reply.
Locked in high would make the most sense, but I was unsure if I could drive onto the ramps in high, or if I could change the height with the front up on the ramps.
As I said, I understand the air suspension, but not what I can and can't do with it when working on the car.
It would also be useful if I could set the suspension in low while on the ramps, on case I need to get to the back of the engine from the top.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:01 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

You can adjust while on the ramps. I’d guess that level is advised. I’m not sure how the car would “know” if it is on ramps or on the ground…

but just tonight I put it in special terrain mode after driving just the front axle up on ramps. It figured it out. YMMV.

and yes lock it out. And yes I suggest that you personally lock it out whenever it visits any shop. Ok maybe the Porsche dealer can figure that one out on their own….

Last edited by Crozzer; 12-28-2022 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:50 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Ok maybe the Porsche dealer can figure that one out on their own….
Ooooh, don’t go saying crazy like that.

, but I put it all on the service request note with the Porsche service rep, no matter what the job is. That way I have some recourse if things come home not-quite-right. Even when they give me the stink eye. It’s not their Pcar and I can read the steps in the repair manual, as well.

Quick Reply: Putting car on ramps