Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Gearbox issues, is a valve body the solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 03:42 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Gearbox issues, is a valve body the solution?

I recently purchased a high-mileage (190,000) 2004 Cayenne Turbo which has a gearbox issue. The symptoms it shows occur once the transmission fluid has had some time to warm up, after which point it starts having very hard shifts, particularly from 2nd to 3rd where the gearbox seems to disengage and the revs rise before a massive bang when it finally shifts to third. After this happening a couple of times the gearbox locks itself into 5th and you can't shift into any other gear. The only way to solve this is by turning the engine off and then starting it again, then the gearbox will select other gears. Also, it never seems to engage 1st and always starts in 2nd.

The reputation of these first-gen Cayennes and Aisin-Warner gearboxes in general seems to point directly to the valve body being at fault, however I'm just wondering if it's potentially more than that and if the entire gearbox should be replaced?

Having researched this issue a bit, it seems that there are two different valve bodies that were used in these cars, one with a pressure switch and one without. Is there any way to tell which mine is by the VIN without having to pull off the transmission pan and check manually?

Finally, if a valve body is indeed what I need, whereabouts can you find quality remanufactured or new units? I'm not interested in the many Chinese copies sold on eBay, I'd like to know I'm fitting a quality part that will last.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:29 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

You can find answers to your queries here
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=v...-957-2003-2010

Is anyone nearby to send it in for you so Sonnax may R&R it?
https://www.sonnax.com/distributors
Old 05-07-2023, 07:15 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

and?
Old 05-07-2023, 10:44 PM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz
and?
I got one from a company named LBM auto parts in Sweden. Very difficult to find a quality item without buying from Porsche and paying $$$

While the problem is 95% gone, it has not been completely solved, see my newer thread regarding this.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Gearbox issues, is a valve body the solution?