Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerator pedal, 2003 4.5 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 01:07 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

When I clean the throttle butterfly valve i use my hand to push it open. That allows me to spray around and behind it. I’ve never had a problem. You should feel moderate spring pressure and smooth gearing throughout the 90 degrees of rotation. I’m sure if you check the internet, you will find that this risks damage. My opinion is that if it breaks doing this, then it was about to fail anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Santacruz (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 04:28 PM
Bbbb Bbbb
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was having similar issues with my 2004 CTT. I did the two different resets (had to do then a couple of times), that took care oy issues:

1) ignition on for 60 seconds (no start, just on), then off for 5 seconds, then on for 15 seconds, then start.

2) adaption reset - ignition on, within 10 seconds depress gas pedal all the way to stop. Remove key while gas pedal is pressed. Release the pedal, insert key and start.
Santacruz (05-12-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:59 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, so I bought a new Hella (same as OE) throttle sensor/pedal assembly, installed it, and everything is good again. Nice smooth throttle response, no "on-off" feel. No abrupt jerk after accelerating hard. I dont like to throw parts at problems, but since it was from Amazon and returnable, if it didnt work I would just send it back. I had no codes, only this on-off feel to the throttle, which in turn was throwing of the tranny shifting as well.
I will say the feel of the pedal is also better, a little more resistance and consistent feel throughout the travel (not unexpected on the old one with 100,000 miles worth of presses).

Super easy to remove the old and install the new. You simply remove the 1 torx screw holding the kick cover in place (its right in the middle top edge) and them pull it down from the corners to pop the clips, pull it straight out towards you to release it from the 2 rear slots.
Then you unplug the down facing courtesy light connection and the OBDII port from the cover, and remove it. Then its just 3 larger torx screws holding the pedal assembly in, and unplug its harness when unbolted.

I did disconnect the negative battery terminal 2 days before this, let it sit over night, to try and reset things before the pedal came to see if that would help, and it did not. Unless it took some time to kick in, which Im not sure why it would.
I also did a throttle and pedal adaption after the new pedal/sensor was installed, although I had made numerous attempts at this before had without success.

So I either got lucky with some other things, something else fixed itself, or the pedal/sensor was just a bit off and maybe had some wear on the contacts, but never enough to throw a code, so it needed replaced!

Last edited by Corvetteboy6988; 05-16-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Santacruz (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:04 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh, and as JAGMAN reported, when I barely touch the throttle, I mean barely, it does still hunt up and down even with the new pedal assembly, but just a tiny bit more and the rpms increase to around 1000 and hold steady from there up, so normal operation!

Santacruz, I had also in the past, removed the TB cleaned it, and gently pushed the throttle plate to clear around it. not sure how you do a proper clean without doing that. You just have to go slow and easy. I never opened it much either, just enough to clean it well. So I agree with your comment, its not an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvetteboy6988:
JAGMAN1 (05-18-2024), Santacruz (05-17-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:06 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you got it sorted!

Quick Reply: Accelerator pedal, 2003 4.5 TT