Toureg? Or Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:29 PM
chefuup
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toureg? Or Cayenne?

hi folks,

This is all new to me. Should I buy the VW toureg V8 or the Cayenne V6? To me it almost seems like both cars are made in the same house. Also is the Toureg V8 a much better car than the lowest line Cayenne? Thanks guys

Lee
Old 04-15-2004, 11:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might wanna do a search in the threads on the differences of the two and then be more specific in your questions.

Welcome Aboard! Great knowledge from the peeps here!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:49 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Check out the 2 charts at the bottom of this thread regarding Sales Satisfaction and Vehicle Dependability:

http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 04-16-2004, 01:47 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I would say Cayenne.... I might be bias because i have one.... But i think the cayenne looks better
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 AM
gpto
Advanced

Default I had too much problems with Touareg

My Cayenne is on order now, maybe here by the end of May.

I had the V10 Touareg, I keep it for 8 months, and it stay at the workshop near to 6 months for differents problems like :

- Transmission Box out of order ( 3 times)
- Gear box blocked (2 times)
- Gear box crashed ( 1 times)
- ABS out of order ( 2 times, the last causing no more brakes and a violent contact with rocks)
- ESP out of order (2 times)
- Complete change of the front and rear leather after 1 month
- Complete change of tires cause of geometric problems following the transmission box problems.
- Complete change of the main GPS/AV console (unable to enter the pin code)
- Never be able to use the phone fonctions on the main concole.
- Keyless Go won't work (you can leave the car with the key with you and the car keep running)
- Many "Hard Reset of electronic"
- Unable to stop the engine using start/stop button (around 10 times)
- and many more that I don't want to remember :-(

by the end, I ask WAG to take the car and give my money back, the answer from the customers services was : The minor problems that you had don't justify the money back you ask, your car is now ready at the dealer and you can take it"

the MAJOR problems with WAG is the fact they won't to have some "high class" customers (I paid my Touareg around 76 000 euros) but still gave you the services like VW Lupo buyers have (they pay less than 10 000 euros for this car)

I've try 2 WAG dealer, same services, they don't even wash your car before giving back to you, after 1 month in a parking, full of birds guano :-(

I don't think I'm a superior class people, but I paid 75 000 euros for a car and I WANT services.

That was my first VW, and the last.

I've ordered my Cayenne, I was received by my regular contact, with coffe, on a nice place, confortable, not standing up for more than 1 hour before the phone girl ask me "what do you want?????" it's a detail, ok, but this is the difference.

I still thinking that the V10 engine is terrific, but just the engine.

Go buying a cayenne and you you won't be dissapointed.

I read somewhere "Touareg = Poor man porsche" I don't agree, for me it's :
TOUAREG = BAD PORSCHE/POOR MANUFACTURER for LOST PEOPLE ;-)

Bye all

Patrice
Monaco
Old 04-16-2004, 08:31 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Thanks Patrice for that excellent first hand account. Your experience points out the number one difference between the Cayenne and Touareg.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I concur; it was the reason (VW Dealers) that pushed me into a Pepper. It's great & I never had to look back.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I would personally go for a diesel VW Toureg and not expect the service you would get from Porsche.

Its the same vechical, without the fancy lights and service. Being less expensive is a plus. I would compare it to buying a toyota over a lexus.

I am not a pushy customer so I get taken avantange by both places. So having the extra service I am entitled to from a more expensive dealer really ain't worth that much to me since they really only treat you well when you treat them like crap or bitch about it.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:58 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Drive them both extensively and decide for yourself. If you really don't mind 0-60 performance in the 9-10sec range, fewer neat features for the same money, and you value better steering and handling over superb highway ride in your SUV, then the Cayenne is for you.

Gas mileage will be about the same, and interior/exterior design is an entirely personal preference.

Spend enough time on the Cayenne and Touareg forums, and you'll find that there are good VW dealers and bad Porsche dealers, and vice versa. You'll also find that there are lemon Cayennes and flawless Touaregs, and vice verSa. I wouldn't factor either of these issues into your decision; it's luck of the draw.

One's a VW and the other a Porsche, but they're both built on the same assembly line, and truth is that there's more VW in the Cayenne V6 than there is in the Touareg V8.

They're both built on a great platform and they are both good vehicles, but with different priorities.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
gpto
Advanced

Default not the same assembly line

hi

in response to allan, Cayenne and Touareg are not made in the same assembly line, Cayenne are build in Leipzig, Touareg are build in Bratislava.

at the beggining, Porsche and WAG was planning to use the same line, but at the end Porsche decided to use is own assembly line.

the VW line is completely automatic line, the car go directly from the assembly line's door to the truck's door. In Leipzig, the car is taken by someone at the assembly line's door and go to another one to hand made finishing, road test and final setup. After this, the car is washed, protected and going to the truck.

ALL the cayenne are controled by a last human check on road, nothing for the touareg, believe me :-)

bye all
Old 04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
CWiz
Instructor

I hope you guys don´t mind the off topic... I love the Cayenne, but now the new A6 is coming... I know they´re different car´s, but, which would you buy ? the Cayenne or the A6 ? do you think I should expect much problems from the A6 (it´s a brand new model..) ?

Again, sorry for the off topic
Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 01:05 PM
spockcat
Intermediate

gpto,
Here is a firsthand report of someone who visited the Leipzig factory on March 19, 2004.

"we went over to the manufacturing plant across the way. No pics here, sorry! The floor was clean enough to eat off of. What amazed me most was how small it was. They really were just integrators and assemblers there. Much of the car (the upper shell and interior) comes in from Batislava, and the power plant from Zuffenhausen. The tranny from Eisen (sp) (Asia) and it is all put together and “married” with 18 BOLTS! That’s it! Funny. After it is put together, they test drive EACH ONE on the track. I found that to be very interesting quality control, and also a testament to the difference between a VW and a Porsche. "

Click on the 2nd of three pdfs at this site.

Clearly, the Cayenne is not "built" in Leipzig. Leipzig is where the final assembly and final QC are done. I'm sure that the quality control of Porsche is much better than that of VW. But it is not a car manufacturing plant.

Quick Reply: Toureg? Or Cayenne?