Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Service at VW dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
JAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Service at VW dealership?

Was wondering if anyone has tried having their Cayenne serviced at a VW dealership?

The other day Porsche's "Customer Campaign Notice" arrived in the mail concerning the main wiring harness. The closest Porsche dealer to me is about 2 hours driving distance. I'm not keen on driving that far for this fix.

There is a local VW dealership close by and thought since the Touareg and Porsche share 80% (I think) parts possibly my car could be serviced by VW. Before calling VW service though to see if anyone else has tried this idea.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:33 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

VW service is pretty spotty to begin with- I'm sure they wouldn't touch a Cayenne. The only way would be if they were also a Porsche dealer. They couldn't do warranty work. You're not dealing with a Chevy vs Pontiac type issue...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

I wanted our local BMW dealer to look at a headlight problem on my Mini as the dealer is 3 hours away. Even though it is a "BMW" sold by BMWUSA they can't touch it unfortunately...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I don't think VW would get reimbursed for their labor (even if they have the part. Why not wait for an oil change or whatever - TSBs (the recall does not expire).
Old 04-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Psycho
Intermediate

As far as the BMW and MINI issue, this year numerous BMW dealers will be getting authorized to work on MINIs, so that problem should be alleviated to some extent.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
CWiz
Instructor

I don´t know this.. never tried.. but I think that for minor issues like making an oil change or something simple like that, they may do it (if their a nice helpful dealer) but they just can´t do anything to a Porsche.. maybe if Porsche was part of the Volkswagen group..
Old 04-19-2004, 06:34 PM
JAT
Racer

CWiz,

You hit it right on the spot. I called the local VW dealer and the service manager said it was possible for him to make oil changes along with other minor service fixes.

For the Customer Campaign Notice I'll need to see a Porsche dealer.

It has been about a year since buying the Cayenne so made an appointment & got the oil changed this morning at the VW dealer. The filter was special ordered.

Having someone closer helps.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:09 PM
CWiz
Instructor

I wasn´t sure about it, but It makes sense... Have you already went to Volks to have your oil changed ? was there any special reaction ?
Old 04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
JAT
Racer

Yep - the oil change was made this morning. I was a little bit surprised but no one made a comment about the Porsche Cayenne being at the VW dealership. Of all the workers and people milling about in the shop I don't recall anyone looking up at the foreign car.

Thinking about it, the only mention that was humorous to me was then the check out lady said for me to hold onto something, as the oil change was "real" expensive. It cost $103 - and I just shook my head, as in disbelief, when she said it. She probably thought I believed it was too expensive and all I could think is that a Porsche dealer probably would have changed twice that amount.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:19 PM
CWiz
Instructor

LOL.. well.. since you mention it, it would be interesting to know if VW indeed does the oil changes cheaper.. :P

Quick Reply: Cayenne Service at VW dealership?