Sponsored by:

Steering fault error

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 05:02 AM
ezrents
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering fault error

Purchased this 02006 Cayenne S 4.5L v8, 168,490 miles with a steering fault error

The issues:
1. Sitting for 2 years 2. Steering fault error 3. No crank, start, or loud steering lock noises
4. DS808 MaxiDAS scanner unable to communicate with the control unit

The Situation:
Last summer 2020 I replaced the two relays on the steering lock circuit board to correct
the steering fault error. Upon replacing the replays I began getting a machine gunning
sound when I removed the key from the ignition. But still no crank.

This summer I learned the clear plastic Hall effect sensor bar is critical so I replaced mine
with a Hall sensor from a 2004 Touareg. Before attaching, I reconnected the steering column
and windshield wiper, cruise, and headlight switches. Also reconnected my DS808 scanner
which has only generated an “unable to communicate error.”

I attempted to get the DS808 to talk by removing any parasitic charge in modules by
I removed the battery cables, connected them together for 30 minutes to drain any electrical
charge from the system. See
I also reset the computer. See https://rennlist.com/topic/40152-reset-computer-gear

Then pressing the brake and turning the key forward, the dash board lite up, wipers came on.
Next I turned the key further and It began to crank but I quickly turned the key back because
the 1/8 tank of gas is probably vanish or sorghum after 2 years of sitting.

Happily I reattached the steering column and column controls without reconnecting the air bag.
Turning the key forward again and I’m back to getting the steering fault error without the
machine gunning sound but with the appropriate beeps and dings.

Since I’ve checked the fuses boxes under the hood for water after it rained.
Found water sitting down below the fuses and on the wires which I dried with hand held blow dryer.
I also pulled the drivers side carpet to check the wiring in the cowls channel and drain.
I found road salt/sand and sun flower seed shells but no indication of damaged wiring or moisture.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-started.html

And my DS808 scanner still will not talk, connect and retrieve codes.
(The scanner has worked with my 06 Scion Xb and 05 Chysler Sebring)

The fuses and relays under the seat, and the two under the hood test fine plus the starter relay.
See
I also read https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...art-04ctt.html

I’m searching for direction on how to proceed. Without a scanner or machine gunning noise
I’m stuck. Thanks
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe the steering fault error is entirely related to the circuit board in the steering lock mechanism, and I don't think anything else would cause that error. They make an emulator that's about $200 I believe which eliminates all of the failure prone mechanical components of the steering lock and emulates them. You have to swap over the IC on the original board however, so you have to find some who is very competent at soldering who can transplant the microchip.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:06 PM
ezrents
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into it.
I took some time searching for a Porsche emulator online without finding one. .
Are you familiar with one?
Also, will the IC from that 04 Torareg work,
are they car specific. or will it need to be programmed?
Old 09-15-2021, 12:30 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

OP - you should have took the module to Speedosolutions in the first place. They are component-level electrical engineers, who has proven their service just works.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 PM
ezrents
4th Gear

Dilberto. you're probably right about speed solutions but
if I cant resolve a seemingly easy solution like a steering fault, how will I every figure out how to repair a Tesla or something to that ilk. Meanwhile, I still need to check
under the passenger side carpet for wire damage. Then on to the IC.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrents
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into it.
I took some time searching for a Porsche emulator online without finding one. .
Are you familiar with one?
Also, will the IC from that 04 Torareg work,
are they car specific. or will it need to be programmed?
Look up N360 emulator on aliexpress. It's about $150. You can also buy just the relays from there too if you want to go that route. The IC is coded to your specific vehicle (antitheft), hence why you must move yours and one isn't provided with the emulator. You can also find videos of the soldering process on aliexpress. If you are not an expert do not even attempt it. This is not a job to practice/learn on.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:08 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check to see if the metal sliding steering lock actually slides in the column? In my 2004CTT the locking bar slid, but was stiff, which probably helped kill the relay. I greased the sliding bar before reinstalling the steering lock. If yours were stuck, then that would overload the lock motor.

Quick Reply: Steering fault error