Power steering cooler bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 07:32 AM
jamie archer
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power steering cooler bypass

Hi All,

The power steering cooler connection rod packed up on my cayenne turbo 957.

I see dismantling it properly requires removing intercoolers and almost the whole front assembly.

I was wondering if any of you have experience of running the car with a PS cooler bypass over the long term?

Do you know what the correct operating it permissible temperature is for the PS system?
Maybe I’ll just monitor if I am within the range instead. So far used the car for a week like this and don’t seem to have any issues.

Many thanks,
jamie
Old 07-29-2021, 10:52 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie archer
Hi All,

The power steering cooler connection rod packed up on my cayenne turbo 957.

I see dismantling it properly requires removing intercoolers and almost the whole front assembly.

I was wondering if any of you have experience of running the car with a PS cooler bypass over the long term?

Do you know what the correct operating it permissible temperature is for the PS system?
Maybe I’ll just monitor if I am within the range instead. So far used the car for a week like this and don’t seem to have any issues.

Many thanks,
jamie
Interesting thought. Why did you decided to remove the PS cooler in the first place?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:28 PM
jamie archer
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s leaking from the aluminium connector.
I can’t seem to resolve it with new hose and clamps. Unless there is some special glue or something?

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Interesting thought. Why did you decided to remove the PS cooler in the first place?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:50 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I don’t know what year Cayenne you have but these are $150 at FCP.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...in-376726311kt

Old 07-29-2021, 01:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie archer
It’s leaking from the aluminium connector.
I can’t seem to resolve it with new hose and clamps. Unless there is some special glue or something?
Quick bandaid temp fix....cut back part of rubber hose (oops it's new so maybe not) , clean up aluminum connector, reduce fluid in reservoir, put back clamp on, don't over tighten and JB weld all over it. It may still leak, but it will be very very slow. And when you have time replace cooler with a new one. You probably have a very tiny hole....common issue...

And it shouldn't be a big deal <oops it's ah cayenne lol> to replace....let me find a video....

Last edited by TRINITONY; 07-29-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler bypass