Cayenne (2005 ) - Whirling noise below seating area

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 01:43 AM
rusputtin74
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne (2005 ) - Whirling noise below seating area

Dear experts: Please help.
My 2005 Cayenne is making a "whirling" type noise every time I press on gas. The noise seems to be coming from below the front seating area, and feels sorrta below the hand rest area.
Noise like "dig dig dig...". This is the best I can describe. I am certainly no expert and reaching out to you for help and also if you can recommend a reputable repair shop in Atlanta, that would be very helpful.
I am around Duluth/Lawrenceville area. I've heard of Eurofed, but want to run it by you to see if you guys recommend anything else. But, first tell me what could be the problem so that i know what i'm getting into.
Thank u so much in advance!

Abim
Old 04-11-2021, 04:15 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

If it sounds like a hammer banging the bottom of the floor, you will need to either do the Jimi Fix yourself for less than $15 in parts, spend a few hundred on a replacement center bearing (of the driveshaft) kit and install it yourself or have a shop install it for you. Or you can replace the ENTIRE stock driveshaft that will do the same thing sometime between 50,000-100,000 miles. Or you can pay about the same for an aftermarket replacement driveshaft that does not have the center-joint in the driveshaft so it can never fail again. If the noise is like somebody hitting the floor with a hammer... the noise is something else. But the center support bearing for the driveshaft is right under the center console.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:48 AM
rusputtin74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
If it sounds like a hammer banging the bottom of the floor, you will need to either do the Jimi Fix yourself for less than $15 in parts, spend a few hundred on a replacement center bearing (of the driveshaft) kit and install it yourself or have a shop install it for you. Or you can replace the ENTIRE stock driveshaft that will do the same thing sometime between 50,000-100,000 miles. Or you can pay about the same for an aftermarket replacement driveshaft that does not have the center-joint in the driveshaft so it can never fail again. If the noise is like somebody hitting the floor with a hammer... the noise is something else. But the center support bearing for the driveshaft is right under the center console.
-----------
Scott: Your description does sound right. I am no car mechanic nor i will know how to do it. How much should a shop cost roughly if it is the after market driveshaft? Thank u for your feedback.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:05 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't help with costs, I spent $12 or so on the bits needed and did the Jimi Fix myself. It takes about an hour for the whole thing, less for adept DIY people. There may be a shop in your area that would be willing to do the Jimi Fix for you. Shouldn't take them more than an hour, so $100 to $200 an hour at an independent shop depending on your local cost at a shop.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

That sounds like what we used to call the 'wummering wummering' sound of approaching center bearing support failure.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM
rusputtin74
Intermediate

Shawn: Since i'm don't know much about the fix hence I definitely rely on this forum and experts we have here. Would you elaborate a little? Any possible idea what it might cost roughly to fix it? In that way when I take it to 1 of the shops, they won't try to do me wrong.
Thank you in advance.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

I think the current cost to fix a bad center bearing support is $15: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...with-pics.html
Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 PM
rusputtin74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I think the current cost to fix a bad center bearing support is $15: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...with-pics.html
Shawn: this is great write up! The poster sounded super confident w/ the fix. When I called a local shop, they are talking about a fix in thousands!!!
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Stanford (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:27 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

A shop might balk at something as out-of-the-box as the Jimi fix but you could link them to one of the commercial options.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Fchotika
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

On my turbo, I replaced the driveshaft to eliminate that noise only to find out that the whirring noise was still there even with a new driveshaft. Upon closer inspection of the old driveshaft, I noticed a band of rust just ahead of the rear axle CV joint. Looks like something had scratched it where there is nothing there. Took a look at my newly installed driveshaft and found those same marks in 50miles. On closer inspection, the rear emergency cable that lives right above the driveshaft and is held on by clips had rusted loose, causing the emergency parking line to rub on the driveshaft. Zipped tied it while waiting a new clip and the noise is gone. Worth a look. Hope this helps. Chad

Last edited by Fchotika; 04-14-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne (2005 ) - Whirling noise below seating area