Sponsored by:

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 07:55 AM
user 848340
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S?

Hey guys, I am new to the Rennlist forum and I am looking for some help or advice. I found a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for sale for $3,000. It currently does not run due to a electrical issue or fault the current owner believes with the body harness under the carpet. I will be making a new posting about that when the Cayenne gets here to me. The interior and exterior is still in great shape and only has 110k miles. I found it online and the current owner is the son of the original owner. His mom bought the Cayenne brand new early 2005. In the seller ad he mention that it's a "2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S". Yes a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S you read that right. I went online and did the research and found that 2006 was the first year that Porsche made a Cayenne Turbo S. He states that the Local Porsche dealer performed this upgrade from Turbo to Turbo S "back in the day". He states that the local Porsche dealer performed this upgrade for $10k-$20k around the time of 2006-2007 and even they added a S after the Cayenne Turbo on the rear hatch. I did a carfax on it and it came back clean, but nothing on the report shows this upgrade. I am extremely happy that it's least a Turbo, but is it much more? I was wondering if I could contact the dealer that did this "upgrade" would they have a record of it? What did they "upgrade? What is the difference between the Turbo and Turbo S? Is there any other record of 955 Turbo owners having this option provide to them here on the Rennlist forum? If y'all have any information about this Cayenne I would appreciate it Thanks.

I can provide a VIN if someone has a top secret database to lookup dealer install history.

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-19-2021 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Excessive subject punctuation..
Old 03-18-2021, 07:58 AM
user 848340
User

Information from the seller AD.

Seller's description

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S -Had the Turbo S upgrade from Porsche around 2006-2007 -Vehicle does not drive. I was driving it and all of a sudden it went into limp mode and could not restart the engine. When you turn the key it says "Press brake pedal" and the PRND icons light up, but the car is unable to start. -Searching online I read that this may be an electrical issue due to corroding wires under the carpet -I removed the front seats and the driver's side carpet in order to repair the wire harnesses under there. And I replaced most of the relays but no change. There are still more wire harnesses to potentially repair. I don't have any more time to work on it and it's taking up valuable space so that's why I'm selling it. Looking to sell the car as a whole, not looking to part out unless I get a good offer. -Original owner -Both keys, keyless entry -New tires -Starter motor replaced in 2019 -AC works great -Engine and transmission were both working fine -Has cargo net attachment and rolling cover -Has a mObridge fiber optic Aux input adapter. Basically replaces the CD changer in the trunk and provides an 3.5mm aux input -Any piece that appears to be missing, I have it boxed up
Old 03-18-2021, 08:01 AM
user 848340
User

Conversation and messages about the upgrade

(ME) I appreciate the VIN info you provided, but I really would like to hear more about the upgrade from regular turbo to turbo s performed by Porsche. Do you know what they upgraded? which Porsche dealer did the work? Do you have any documentation showing this upgrade? I was looking online any could not find anything about Porsche upgrading Cayennes from turbo to turbo s. I am still really excited that it's a turbo, but would like to hear more about your Cayenne. I got the money right now if you want me to come today not too sure of your schedule. I am really excited to see it on Friday.Wed 3:24 PM
sent Yesterday at 3:24 PM
(THE SELLER) The upgrade was something the dealer offered back then, it was like 10-20k to upgrade the suspension, throttle and i think the computer timings im not exactly sure. But I know that they did it cause they also changed the branding on the back door. But that documentation has been lost for a while, I guess for simplicity just assume it doesn't have it.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like it may have the IE81 performance upgrades fitted.
Larger brake discs, upgraded struts, larger intercoolers just to name a few.
Its all in the attached file.
Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IE81.pdf (240.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 09:22 AM
MtnDogGeoff
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Sounds like it may have the IE81 performance upgrades fitted.
Larger brake discs, upgraded struts, larger intercoolers just to name a few.
Its all in the attached file.
Enjoy.
those look like 18" wheels so it don't think it has the E81/turbo S brakes...
Old 03-18-2021, 10:25 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Unless you don't mind parting with $3k, I would be more focused on getting to the bottom of why this car doesn't run rather than daydreaming about it being a TTS. Might as well be a TTRSQ+X4 Hybrid, won't make a difference if it's not running.
The following 5 users liked this post by slavie:
brett968 (03-18-2021), flsupraguy (11-21-2023), max911 (03-18-2021), oldskewel (03-18-2021), v10rick (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Neat find! Look forward to reading what you discover as you dig in. Upgraded Calipers in the front do limit your tire choices (as far as the 957 goes) but my last base Cayenne had different front and rear rim designs (both 20") to allow for some difference (learned about this when the local tire shop changed out my tires, bolted the rear wheels onto the front then wondered 'why car no run!?! :-( ) Have fun!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:39 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

I would be sceptical of their claims about the IE81 performance package. As mentioned above, the car clearly doesn't have the larger brakes as those wheels are to small to clear the calipers. On the other hand, who knows? Maybe someone balked at the extraordinarily high cost of replacing the front rotors and downgraded them and the wheels as well. More pictures would be helpful.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:50 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here is something else to check. If the kit was installed, the dealer will have stamped an "S" after the engine serial number as in the picture. That would give you definitive proof of the conversion without trying to check for the components other than the brakes.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:30 PM
user 848340
User

Hey Tom, where is the engine serial located high, low, driver or passenger side? I am meeting him tomorrow to take a look at it. I am hoping the electrical issue could be something simple or moderate vs something completely extreme. I talked to the son a bit ago his mom paid a decent chunk of cash for this upgrade back in 2006-2007. I am happy that it is at minimum at Turbo, but I would be over the moon if it is so much more. When I get it home tomorrow I will try to take some pictures to post. Thank you all for your ideas and opinions. I'm praying for the best.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:59 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HeuerCalibre12
Hey Tom, where is the engine serial located high, low, driver or passenger side? I am meeting him tomorrow to take a look at it. I am hoping the electrical issue could be something simple or moderate vs something completely extreme. I talked to the son a bit ago his mom paid a decent chunk of cash for this upgrade back in 2006-2007. I am happy that it is at minimum at Turbo, but I would be over the moon if it is so much more. When I get it home tomorrow I will try to take some pictures to post. Thank you all for your ideas and opinions. I'm praying for the best.
Regrettably, my wife has my CTTS right now, so I can't go out and check. I took a cursory look around the web and couldn't find anything specific, but you might have more luck. I think its on the bottom of the block above the oil pan, but I could be rembering one of my other Porsches from over the 30 years I've been wrenching on them! Someone else will probably chime in and help you out.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:04 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Since you haven't bought the car yet I'll put my critical hat on.

It clearly has not been upgraded to full "Turbo S" specs. Wrong brakes, wrong exhaust tips, they didn't even put the "S" badge on correctly (all of the rear lettering must be removed and repositioned). Those are some of the things that are obvious just from looking at the pics you posted. Maybe it has upgraded intercoolers and DME software? Either way, I'd classify it as a fake Turbo S, as I suspect most people here would. Plenty of these out there and not worth a dollar more than a regular Turbo, IMO.

The rocker panels piqued my interest. Off road package? That's a sought after and rare option.

For a 110k, 1-owner vehicle the condition doesn't look very good at all. I see lots of missing covers, clips, small fasteners, headlights are UV damaged, trim is flaking off bad in places, etc. This suggests that the owner did not stay on top of regular maintenance and repairs have been deferred for the next owner. This could easily run into the thousands of $. Of course, no way to tell without a thorough inspection.

What's the interior condition like? I know you said that the interior and exterior are in great shape but is that your assessment or the seller's? Being a Texas car and obviously being exposed to the elements, I'd suspect the headliner has started to drop. That's $1k right there.

I agree with Slavie that what is important is determining why the car doesn't run. What's more important still is determining the condition of the engine, particularly the cylinder block, turbochargers, cylinder head. If the block is scored then its a parts car.

IMO, this is a $3k car if it was running, the engine checks out, and there aren't any major repairs or maintenance items needed beyond what is apparent from the photos. The current condition just doesn't warrant anything more than this. As it sits, it's only worth parts car money. Maybe $1500?
Old 03-18-2021, 02:05 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It also occurs to me that the car may not start because the brake pedal switch or the solenoid that makes up the transmission interlock has failed. If one or more component fails, you cannot start the car. It is easy to test- sit in the car, put the key in, (or if it is entry and drive have the key in the car) turn the ignition and depress the brake pedal while holding the shifter. One should feel a definite click through the shifter when the pedal is pressed.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:01 PM
user 848340
User

I am still looking into finding more information on this Cayenne. I just called the dealership where the car was serviced and their records are different than what customer service has on record. The customer service rep has a record from 2008 of a update of the "DME" not too sure what that is hopefully someone can let me know, but the dealer did record this for their records. I'm hoping tomorrow I can get some better pics and figure it out. I someone has a in depth vin decoder, I would not mind sharing it to get a breakdown of the options or extras for the Cayenne. Please let me know.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Good luck with it! Just remember are other turbos in the sea... in fact there's a gorgeous one in Utah right now that hasn't been rebadged but is of a similar vintage, so one never knows. As my late father used to say, 'the fun is in the hunt.' Granted I don't think he ever said that about a DD...

Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S?