Sponsored by:

Assist Requested from CDC-4 CD Changer Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:42 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Assist Requested from CDC-4 CD Changer Owners

Last week I bit the bullet and spent $1400 to have the CDC-4 CD Changer installed in my MY04 Cayenne S. Since PCM displays CD-TEXT, I burned a number of CDs with CD-TEXT expressly for play in my Cayenne.

ALL of these CDs play flawlessly, and display CD-TEXT properly, using the integrated CD drive in the PCM.

When these same CDs are inserted in the CDC-4 CD Changer, it is hit or miss if they are even recognized. The changer may only recognize 1 or 2 CDs out of a full magazine. If you eject and re-insert the magazine, it may recognize an entirely different number of CDs. Again, these same CDs play perfectly in the PCM CD drive.

I have used three different brands of CD-R media and all are problematic in the CDC-4. I use Nero software to burn all of them.

These same CDs also play flawlessly in changers in a Subaru, BMW, Audi, Ford, and others. Even a $15 K-Mart CD player recognizes them, yet the Porsche CDC-4 does not.

Brought to the dealer yesterday. They say same magazine of my CD-Rs also does not work in another Cayenne's CDC-4 and that "store bought" CDs work fine in my changer. They e-mailed PCNA and the response was that some CD-Rs may not work.

I am extremely disappointed. This is 2004, not 1994. Just as one would expect a TV to accomodate a DVD player, one would expect a 2004 CD Changer to play CD-Rs! Especially when they work fine in the PCM drive.

At the very minimum, Porsche should advise consumers that the CDC-4 does not support CD-R. If they had, I would not have purchased the changer.

I have escalated this to Customer Committment at PCNA. All I want from them is a CDC-4 that operates as one would expect it should.

So, for all of you out there that have a CDC-4, please let me know what your experience has been using CD-R media.

Do CD-Rs work intermittently, all the time, or not at all?

What brand of CD-R media do you use?

What software do you use for burning CDs?

The more info I have, the better for my conversation with PCNA.

I really don't think I am being unreasonable, and I don't want to start a debate about the virtues of iPODs or similar devices. I am just shocked that this is even an issue in 2004.

Appreciate feedback on your CDC-4 experiences with CD-Rs.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dlipetz,

I've never had an issue with my CDC with different sorts of CD-R brands. The latest were "TDK CD-R80 Metallic" (Don't know if they are available in the US) with the software Nero 5.5.9. I use CD-Text too.

Do a search on the forum. I believe I've seen a couple of posts from other users with similar problems.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had some customers with similar issues. And one customer that is having problems playing certain store bought CDs.

Having said that, I use mainly Sony and Memorex CD-Rs and so far I haven't had an issue playing them on any Porsche CD player. I just tried them on the CD Changer in the Cayenne in the showroom here and both worked fine.

I use Cakewalk's Pyro program for burning CDs.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:58 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Imatation or TDK (Compusa's best) and Nero 6, never noticed a problem apart from the title not scrolling when its long
Old 03-30-2004, 03:59 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Default Update

As a result of my call to PCNA Customer Committment, the regional PCNA rep has already contacted my dealer regarding my problem . The rep told my dealer that he burns his own CDs and they play fine in the CDC-4 changer in his Cayenne. The rep is going to the dealership tomorrow and I will drop off my CD-Rs tonight to see if they will play in his CDC-4.

My dealer called me about 40 minutes after I left the dealership with my Cayenne. So, now I need to go back. Again.

But this is progress.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

Default intermittent CDC

mine is totally intermittent using purchased CDs, never tried it with CD-Rs
Old 04-01-2004, 10:19 AM
dlipetz
Advanced

Default New Update

Originally posted by dlipetz
As a result of my call to PCNA Customer Committment, the regional PCNA rep has already contacted my dealer regarding my problem.
PCNA has authorized my dealer to replace my CDC-4 with a newly ordered unit. I'm hopeful that this will resolve the problem with CD-Rs.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
rbaron
Racer

Did you get the replacement and did it solve the problem?

The new S I wanted and bought did not have a changer so the dealer ordered one as part of the deal and it was installed last week. I was happy to see it takes the disk holders I used in my traded in MB ML430; today I am not so happy because it has been intermittently not recognizing, skipping and reloading store bought cds that played well in the MB.

So, before I raise a ruckus, I'm checking to see what experiences others have had.

btw, does anyone have a good source for the disk holders at a reasonable price?

--Bob
Old 06-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Moogle
Race Car

first of all, you should all be using the Porsche Magazine / holders

from that starting point, you can then try to isolate what other issues may be causing the CD-text / play not to work correctly.

there are so many gremlins with the audio system on 03-after porsches due to the ****-tastic MOST bus.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:48 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Default Well...

Originally posted by rbaron
Did you get the replacement and did it solve the problem?
--Bob

Well, yes and no. The new CD changer installed by the dealer appeared to be immensely better than the previous unit - recognizing CD-R media the old unit failed to recognize. Within 24 hours, I realized that it was better, but still intermittent - failing to recognize many CD-Rs and not properly refresh track listings.

So, I tried another new brand of CD-R media, Verbatim, which I have found to be wholly more reliable than Maxell, Fuji, Imation, and the others I've tried. Now, CD-Rs are recognized better than 90% of the time. Occassionally, one will be skipped or more occassionally, a CD track title or two is not recognized. This is usually cured by ejecting and reinserting the magazine. On a few occassions, the CD Changer failed to recognize the fact that a magazine had been inserted at all.

So, this is not perfect, but operates much better than my old unit and I am more or less satisfied.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

I haven't had any problems with any kind of CDR's, it playes them all I have, and the text comes out perfectly.
I was a very dissapointed when I foundout it doesn't play MP3's though.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:20 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by NYC Cayenne
I haven't had any problems with any kind of CDR's, it playes them all I have, and the text comes out perfectly.
I was a very dissapointed when I foundout it doesn't play MP3's though.
Please indicate if you are playing the discs in a CDC-4 CD Changer or the head unit (my PCM head unit never has a problem, just the changer), which CD-R media you use, and which software you use to burn the CDs.

Thanks.

Last edited by dlipetz; 06-06-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Have your cd changer replaced. Same problem happened to me, the dealer ordered me a new unit and ever since no problems :-)
Old 06-06-2004, 09:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Moogle
there are so many gremlins with the audio system on 03-after porsches due to the ****-tastic MOST bus.
I do not believe this problem is associated with the MOST infotainment bus.
This is an issue regarding certain Becker OEM CD mechanisms, which are used to build CDC4's.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 PM
rbaron
Racer

>>first of all, you should all be using the Porsche Magazine / holders<<

I cannot tell the difference. Is there one?

Quick Reply: Assist Requested from CDC-4 CD Changer Owners