Sponsored by:

PSM Failure; hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:46 PM
CsnailNRun
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSM Failure; hard shifting

Thanks in advance for any recommendations the community has to offer.

I've an '04 Turbo with 189K miles. I have owned for 5-6 yrs now starting with 108K miles.

After some instances of my PSM failure light coming on (noticed during highway speeds in which I'd engage the turbo's) the light is now permanently on (stating over the weekend) along with the check engine light. This weekend when traveling ~65mph on the highway, I felt some slipping in the transmission; no noticeable change in RPM.

I've seen a few articles that suggested it could be alignment (the vehicle does not pull left or right), sensor, module, etc. but there was no follow up from the original poster of what the resolution was. I am able to auto shift in all gears (no stuck in 2nd as one fellow was). The shifts are just noticeably not as smooth as they ought to be. I do not drive hard, just the periodic full throttle cruising on the highway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what has been worked on and resolved by ones who have dealt with a similar issue.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:44 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

PSM light and CEL combined usually point to some fault in the engine load measurement. Something like a faulty maf sensor. Have the dtc codes read, no use in guessing anything more before that.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:26 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with above. Happened to my 2004 CTT, turned out to be a small air leak after the MAF, especially when cold outside. My leak was a loose hose clamp on the bov.

Quick Reply: PSM Failure; hard shifting