Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFTER Cayenne tiptronic valve body replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 06:32 PM
N GA GTS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFTER Cayenne tiptronic valve body replacement?

2008 GTS 115k miles.
Original problem slowing from 4th down to 3rd-2nd, and re-accelerating, it would feel like the trans didn't know the correct gear to select, or would slightly bump.
Replaced the VB with a RevMax unit.
Reset trans with Durametric.
Inside trans was spotless, but the individual magnets had about 1-2 mm of goo on them. No: chunks, grit, or silver color in the goo.
Drives ok, but not like butter.
I have only driven 50ish miles and it is still odd sometimes, I'm worried I spent the cash and did the labor to no avail.
How long or many miles does it take for it to learn shift points or your habits?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:52 AM
brett968
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 100 Posts

I recently went through a major transmission debacle (I still need to update that thread here with the final resolution). In the end, I concluded that my problems were rooted in a defective or a wrong version valve body. I put a RevMax rebuilt unit into my original transmission that had around 290k miles on it (04 CS). It shifted just OK after the swap. I thought the mediocre shifting was due to high mileage on the transmission (original torque converter) and that it was simply as good as it was going to get. The transmission failed totally within 10 months. It was a nightmare finding a good replacement unit but I finally ended up with a nice 44k mile transmission. I thought I would get ahead of the valve body problems (plus I already had the rebuilt RevMax unit I had purchased recently), so I had RevMax service the valve body that was recently rebuilt prior to the transmission failure. (They will do this for a nominal fee and it involves thoroughly cleaning the unit and verifying function on their test machine.) The replacement transmission with the RevMax valve body shifted just like my original transmission, i.e. not well! I ran the car for 150 miles or so, clearing the adaptation once at the start and around the midway point. I would say the shifting got progressively worse during this time. It got to the point that it would even clunk when shifting into drive or reverse while parked. By process of elimination, I determined the valve body had to be the problem. I pleaded my case with RevMax (I was just within the 1 year warranty and they were very accomodating) and they sent me a different valve body. Night and day difference--literally from the first shift! The transmission shifts like new now and is as smooth as my 971 4S or maybe even smoother (albeit shifts are much slower).

In my experience, adaptation isn't going to resolve poor shifting of any significance. I did notice that coasting downshifts were ever so slightly harsh just after replacing the valve body and this totally resolved within 50 miles or so. I've also noticed that adaptation helps to match the shifting to the driver's driving style. That's about it.

From your description, it sounds like your transmission isn't shifting the way it should. With 114k miles and a rebuilt valve body it should shift like new. First things to double check are fluid level. Be sure to follow the factory procedure. If the fluid is too warm then you will are likely to under fill. This can certainly cause shifting issues. Another common issue is the transmission filter o-ring. If pinched, this can allow air to enter the system and cause issues. These are probably the most common causes of shifting problems after a transmission service. In my case, I had checked each of these things multiple times on both transmissions.

I should note that I have never seen another account of anyone having a problem like I described with a RevMax valve body. I accept some of the responsibility for the outcome as I could have sent the valve body back months earlier (but like I wrote, I thought the problem was my original trans). I should also mention that RevMax is excellent to deal with, very reputable, and I believe they do very good work. They will take care of you! Every manufacturer has a bad product slip out every once and awhile. I certainly wouldn't assume that the problems you are having are due to the valve body though. Check the common trouble points and keep them in the loop. Don't give up or be satisfied until the transmission shifts like it should.
The following users liked this post:
ekstroemtj (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I did this with my VR6 08 Touareg, twice...what a pain. these are poorly designed parts. The rebuilds often only change faulty valves leaving other ones ready to fail. I finally sold the vehicle after frustrated with this and some other design issues.

Quick Reply: AFTER Cayenne tiptronic valve body replacement?