New Cayenne V6 - problems with CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 PM
wmy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cayenne V6 - problems with CD changer

Just picked up my v6 Cayenne yesterday!

First impressions are excellent, I was a little worried that it was going to be low on power as I'd spent some time with an S but for what I'm going to be using it for it's plenty - actually traded in a 996 C2 which I sorely miss but love the smooth Tiptronic and 19" wheels.

Small niggle though, the factory fit CD changer doesn't seem to recognise a lot of my CD's - anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2004, 08:47 PM
sam_cayenne
Track Day

Congrats on your new C!! I almost have the your exact config less the CD changer.

If your search the forum, there were few individuals experienced the same problem and eventually got the unit fixed or replaced by the dealer.

Sam
Old 03-16-2004, 10:09 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Wmy, Im having the same problem too.... I took it to the dealer 2 times and he said he will replace the one i have... However, the sad part the cd changer part is back ordered till april
Old 03-17-2004, 06:47 PM
wmy
8th Gear

Spoke to the dealer today, he said he thought it was a software problem and that next time I bring it in he'll have it fixed. Not sure how it can be a s/w problem but I'll let you know how I get on....

WMY
Old 03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

wmy, the software upgrade did not work for me. It worked for a while then it stoped working!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:08 AM
CWiz
Instructor

Can´t you just make them give you a new Cd Changer ? some dealers just try to solve the problem by the easiest and cheapest way.. just don´t care about the owner.. It´s stupid that a car maker like Porsche has services like this..
Old 03-18-2004, 03:07 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

My dealer first tried to fix it, however that didnt work. So they ordered me a new cd changer.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Has anyone with problems, where the CD changer has intermittent play problems with some discs, determined if condensation on the disc is a factor in this problem?

It is possible that, with the ambient temperature extremes, water vapor is changing from a gas, to liquid, on the surface of the disc, confusing the disc changer.

A test could be structured, where this problem is first identified, discs play sometimes, but not other times. The disc magazine could be removed from the vehicle and stored inside, in a heated environment. The magazine could be returned to the vehicle only when required.

If that test is conducted and the results indicate normal play under those conditions, then an easy "band-aid" fix could be implemented until Porsche realizes that their changer sucks and needs to be improved.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:33 AM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by jamy85
My dealer first tried to fix it, however that didnt work. So they ordered me a new cd changer.
Jamy85 - please post results after dealer replaces CD Changer. I also requested a new Changer considering mine will play/not play some CD-Rs, but there is no pattern. The same CD-R that is rejected, will sometimes play when reinserted. All CD-Rs play fine in the PCM CD drive.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:50 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dlipetz
Jamy85 - please post results after dealer replaces CD Changer. I also requested a new Changer considering mine will play/not play some CD-Rs, but there is no pattern. The same CD-R that is rejected, will sometimes play when reinserted. All CD-Rs play fine in the PCM CD drive.
Sure, The Cd Changer unit is back ordered till april. I will post the results asap. Some cds will work but i have to play around with the cd changer for a while, but its a pain in the ***
Old 03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by jamy85
Sure, The Cd Changer unit is back ordered till april. I will post the results asap. Some cds will work but i have to play around with the cd changer for a while, but its a pain in the ***
Hmmm. I called my dealer today to let him know about the problems I have been having. He said it sounded like a defective CD changer and he would replace it.

So, I'm bringing my Cayenne in a week from today for a new CD Changer. So I guess my dealer has them in stock?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:20 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I really dont think they have them in stock. In my case, the dealer told me to bring the car in too. However, after a couple of hours by the dealer trying to fix it, they told me its defective and they would order me a new one. ur really lucky if they have them in stock because i have been waiting for almost a month now hehe
Old 07-19-2004, 06:43 PM
wmy
8th Gear

Had the car back at the dealer who did a software upgrade which didn't fix the problem but resulted in no discs playing at all. Had it back at the dealer a couple of weeks ago who fitted a new changer and now it works like a dream and plays CD-R's too.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's how its supposed to work, play all your CDR's (with the title and track info if you burn them like that)
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Deke
8th Gear

Whenever I load a new set of CD's into the changer there's always a few that the CD player doesn't recognize. I typically have to take the CD's out and reinstall them and eventually I'll have success and the player will recognize all the CD's. Once they are recognized I can leave them in there without problems.

Quick Reply: New Cayenne V6 - problems with CD changer