Sponsored by:

Access to driver's upper strut bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:14 PM
957GT-YES
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Access to driver's upper strut bolts

Okay, I'm about 1/2 way done with the control arm project and hit a snag. It was midnight so I decided to give it a rest and try again in the light of day. I see 2 of the 3 top bolts for the strut housing, but I can't locate the third. For some reason, I feel like I've hit the hardest part of the project. So far, it's been smooth sailing. I pulled off the cover and see the brake booster and it looks like it might be under the reservoir or potentially somewhere I can't easily see. Anyone have any tips or guidance for either where it's exactly located and/or how to access it to pull it out? Are there any special tools I might need?

Thanks.

Travis
Old 07-11-2020, 12:31 PM
957GT-YES
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah, the light of day bring a new approach. I found it! I'm attempting to do this without popping off the wipers and full trim cover behind the firewall. So far, so good. I was able to access the bolt with a long extension and the strut is out. Fingers are crossed that I can leave the bolt tilted over and simply tighten it down again, without having to actually snake my hand all the down to touch it...
Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

On my Boxster I use a magnetic wand. I put the nut on the tip of the wand and reach in and spin the wand in my fingers to just get a couple of threads started. After that, I reach in with a ratchet to finish tightening it down.

Quick Reply: Access to driver's upper strut bolts