Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post CayenneS vs Excursion PSD:towing

As part of the advance work in buying a 24' all aluminum trailer, I compared the towing capacities of the 04 Cayenne S (mine) vs a 00 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3l PSD (wife's)

Surprisingly, the label on the factory hitch (Excursion was ordered with towing/heavy duty cooling/battery package;not sure if that matters or not) stated:

Towing: 500# tonge, 5000# capacity
Weight distributing hitch: 1000# tongue, 10000# capacity.

Hard to believe, but with a standard hitch/adapter/ball, the Cayenne S has a larger towing capacity (6600#, 660# tongue) than an Excursion? This was an unexpected surprise (of course, there is still some concern regarding wheelbase, but that's for another day)
Old 03-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The contention of Porsche engineers is that the superior rear suspension design of the Cayenne precludes the need for a wieght distributing hitch. That said, the factory hitch on the Ford is good for 10,000lbs, you just need to add the wieght distribution parts OR you can fit a class five hitch to the Excursion and pull 10,000lbs that way.

There is simply NO comparison in my opinion. The Excursion has proper trailer tow mirrors or can be easliy fitted with very nice factory versions. That in itself is a HUGE issue when towing a trailer. I'm not sure how you will see anything if you pull with the Cayenne. The added length, width, wieght and torque will all make the Excursion a much better choice. I do a lot of towing and always prefer a properly outfitted 3/4 or 1-ton truck, which the Excursion is based on, for towing. I will limit my Cayenne towing to my 4000lb boat or a snomobile trailer.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Swede
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto what Brent said.

I have a 3/4 ton Sub with 8.1 and it can pull a house. The Cayenne pulls my sleds and boat just fine but is no-where near the same tow vehicle of an excursion/suburban. Mirrors and wheelbase being too key saftey factors for sure.

The Cayenne pulled a 4 place snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds on it, 2 guys and lots of gear 70+ a couple weeks ago. Rock solid, even was able to keep it in cruise without much hunting...........however gas mileage went don to around 8 (eight!)

Quick Reply: CayenneS vs Excursion PSD:towing