Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokian Rotiiva AT vs. Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM
99sxxx
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nokian Rotiiva AT vs. Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires?

Does anyone have experience with Nokian Rotiiva AT tires that they can share? Nokian makes amazing winter tires and their all-terrain tires are well priced. The other tire I'm considering is the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus. There's not a lot of reviews but from my research, it looks like the Nokians are better in the winter (probably rivaling some dedicated winter tires -- this is Nokian's wheelhouse). The Pirellis seem more handling oriented (for an AT tire) and look better.

I'm currently running BFG KO2's in 265 65/18, on stock standard (non-air) suspension. They look amazing and I was impressed with the grip this winter on everything but solid ice at -30 and below. But I am done with the noise (my set are cupped and near end of life), weight, and rough ride. I still want something that can navigate rough Alberta roads, get over mountain passes, and handle summer camping. The Rotiivas are quite light (36lbs) compared to BFG KO2's (52 lbs). Of course this is a P tire with less rugged sidewall, not an LT tire, but in my case that's an advantage.

Also wondering if 265 60/18 would be a good compromise - slightly more sidewall than stock but less impact on handling.

Here's some pics of the current setup for fun:

Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I've used Nokian AT tires on my old truck and they have been good. This is XL rated and loaded half the time. Not tested for performance.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:30 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I say turn up your radio a little and stick with the KO2's! They aren't THAT loud.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Pillow
Racer

Just ordered the Nokians in 265/60R18XL. Give me a couple weeks to get muddy!

Nokian Rotiiva AT 265/60R18XL
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...an-rotiiva-at/

FWIW it is one of the few tires that has XL load rating and the Triple Peak for Snow rating.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 AM
iadr
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, I am from Alberta, too. But absolutely loath Nokian tires. I don't believe there is a worse tire available in any no-name Chinese import. Thats an opinion, but to say there is no worse tire value, is a fact.
They came on my Cayenne and were on for exactly 4 days before I garbaged them as a I would on any vehicle I got, that had them. Premature wearing, cupping, zero traction, hugely overpriced crap. I sell tires - probably over 40,000 in my career, and they are bottom of the barrel. It's a scam run by Kal, as they baby sit customers who actually call them out on the effectiveness of them, and their exclusive contract makes them a ton of money.
I put on Winda IS69 in a 245/60r18 and run them with low-ish pressure. On icy pavement I'd run circles around you. For less than half the price.

FWIW, for the look and A/weather rating I'd have told you to try Laufenn Xfit AT's. Not my thing on this platform, but if it's yours, a great product. Might be short lived on one of these, not 100% on that. Seems like nearly everything is.. lol.

Last edited by iadr; 02-03-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Pillow
Racer

Good update bump.

I am not really that pleased with the Nokians either and will be pulling them off. Not that they are the worst... But just not good enough for what I expect.

I think the positive reviews you see are from people who barely drive their cars hard... 95% of people are appliance drivers IMO.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:36 PM
MOM3NTUM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disagree... Excellent All-Weather Tire

I rarely comment on these topics... but couldn't help notice some inflammatory language that needed a more balanced perspective.

I've had my 2014 VW Touareg for 10 years now and use it as both my daily as well as my tow vehicle for an enclosed Trailex. I'm at roughly 150K and love the vehicle all around. That said, when I bought it, it came with 20" rims that didn't suit the purpose of what I was looking to do (no fear of curbs, forestry roads, ski/board trips, etc.). With my history with Audi Quattros (5 of them in various forms, including wife's daily)... I came to rely on the Nokian WR line as a great all-weather tire in Vancouver/Whistler. So, when it came time to put smaller wheels on the Touareg with suitable tires. I went for 18" rims and the beefier looking Rotiiva's (sold to me as supposedly having similar winter performance to Nokians WR line but with reinforced sidewalls for additional load and a better pattern for limited off-road use... and still decent treadwear made possible by a new application of silica compounds in street tires). I've had a few sets now and can absolutely say this is a VERY good all around tire. Is it as good as a Blizzak or Hakkapelita in the winter... no way. But its substantially better for my application than any all-season tire out there (until recently). I say until recently because the Rotiiva has been replaced with the newer Nokian Outpost AT/nAT and several tire manufactures have now copied Nokians lead in the category by introducing true all-season tires w/ 3-mountain snowflake.

What now? I'm re-considering what to do as I look at new all-weather tires for both the Touareg and my wife's Q5. All things considered, I'm likely to proceed with the Pirelli WeatherActive for my Wife's Q5 and will probably buy the new Nokian Outpost nAT for the Touareg (I've been very happy with the Rotiiva's, so why change). As Nokian isn't a mainstream supplier... there's less objective test data. That said, I'm a loyal customer (but not a blind fanboy).

FYI - I admire how tire tech has advanced over the years, am reasonably informed and open to alternatives... and count heat cycles on track (having gone down that slipper slope... pun intended).
Old 01-07-2024, 08:27 PM
Tangerine Dream
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default BF Goodrich KO2’s rock

I’ve purchased and used many sets of KO2’s in various sizes on both Cayenne’s and Ford f150’s and f250’s. I’ve gotten more care free miles from them than any other tire, ever. Bar none.

You are correct in the size you mentioned. 265/60/18. Perfect for the Cayenne. Just a hint of rub at full lock. And a 50k mile warranty.

fyi, I do have a 2.5 inch Eurowise lift kit.

Weight is not a concern either. The Cayenne suspension can handle it. No problem. If they’re cupping; a) check your balance and alignment, b) rotate more frequently

Last edited by Tangerine Dream; 01-07-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:16 PM
IchBautAuto
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No Nokian experience. I use Pirelli AT+ in 19 inch and very satisfied with the all round performance. Will fit again.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:53 PM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a timely thread for me as I will be needing some new tires soonish and KO2s were mentioned.

Would like to ask about the noise difference between the KO2 and something like the Scorpions. I've read reviews online but usually find them unhelpful. I ask about the KO2 because I have them on my VW Syncro Transporter and they are loud. But the drivetrain is loud, plus just about everything else on the truck makes noise so...

If any of you all have had the KO2 and then something else a comparision would be great. Mostly want a balance between handling and ability to go on the forest service and similar roads- no snow here.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:35 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, my take on this is that the most we’ll get from subjective experience is just that. It t is actually tough to discern real differences by feel alone, unless doing back to back comparisons or using objective measurements.

So I tend to rely more on tire tests and price, than what Timmy said about that one set of tires he got that were so much better than the balding threadbare ones he replaced…

Having said that, i picked the new Pirelli scorpion A/t plus because the tire tests seemed to produce the right balance for me: near-best in winter/ice/snow, and actual best in some other handling traits. They also have the highest speed rating of the larger options I was looking at.

FWIW, the local wisdom would have been Falken wildpeak for the winter/ice performance gain. I live in Salt Lake City.

cheers! They are many terrific choices.

Quick Reply: Nokian Rotiiva AT vs. Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires?