Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

error codes P0431 and P0421 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 02:30 PM
keval9693
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Swapping polarity could have happened to anyone…at least you/OBD caught it.

Not sure why there isn’t more NON-polarized caps avail, even at a slightly higher cost.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright slight update more on my stupidity.

took apart the driver side and realized that one end of the grey wire was never attached! The polarity was correct but it does no good if it’s not connected!

ok so then I went back to the passenger side put back the 4.7uf (removed the wrong polarity 47uf) and installed everything the correct way.

it was still in its 50 mile cycle so no CEL but it will drive it and see what errors I get if any.

as of now, in starting over, both sides have 4.7uf and are connected with the negative to the grey wire. Wish me luck. Will report if any codes or after 200 miles

Last edited by Caliguy; 06-27-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:57 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Just chiming in here.. about a 100 miles in so far, no CEL!
The following users liked this post:
CRoger (07-01-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:25 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Still no CeL but when I plug in my obd reader, pending codes for both show up
Old 07-02-2022, 07:08 PM
keval9693
Track Day

Caliguy,

I would just keep on driving until and IF the CEL pops up. My pending (not CEL) codes showed up during the experiment and went away on their own. Don’t really know what the OBD manages the pending codes.

With 100 miles+ CEL free driving, your car should pass emissions test in most, if not all, US states. Nonetheless, you are close to finding the right cap values.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by keval9693
Caliguy,

I would just keep on driving until and IF the CEL pops up. My pending (not CEL) codes showed up during the experiment and went away on their own. Don’t really know what the OBD manages the pending codes.

With 100 miles+ CEL free driving, your car should pass emissions test in most, if not all, US states. Nonetheless, you are close to finding the right cap values.

ugh those pending codes turned solid. So replaced both caps to 47uf.. will now need to drive about 79 miles to check if the monitors finish and I can get this darn thing smog tested
Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Check engine light came on at 65 miles..

guess I’ll try 470uf now
Old 07-05-2022, 05:45 PM
keval9693
Track Day

Caliguy,

Hope your experiment is going well. Just catching up on this thread after the holiday weekend. I feel your anxiety needing the SUV to pass emission to register/drive legally in your locale.

If I read your earlier post with the 4.7uF, you drove over 100+ miles before the CEL came on. If repeatable, I would think that's sufficient to pass emissions testing.

The 47 uF might have 'damped' the signal too long in time triggering the CEL. (Remember the ECU/OBD is diabolically perceptive.)

Lastly, keep in mind one bank/cat may require a difference value than the other, depending on cat health.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:20 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Caliguy,

Hope your experiment is going well. Just catching up on this thread after the holiday weekend. I feel your anxiety needing the SUV to pass emission to register/drive legally in your locale.

If I read your earlier post with the 4.7uF, you drove over 100+ miles before the CEL came on. If repeatable, I would think that's sufficient to pass emissions testing.

The 47 uF might have 'damped' the signal too long in time triggering the CEL. (Remember the ECU/OBD is diabolically perceptive.)

Lastly, keep in mind one bank/cat may require a difference value than the other, depending on cat health.
my car is defeating me. So I went to the smog place after the car was doing well and right when I pulled into their parking lot, a thermostats code CeL popped up (only seems to pop up when the cats are doing well. Darn ok.. reset the CeL

then the pending codes for both cats.. so I continually checked my scanner while driving for the monitors to complete to get it smogged, then the CeL popped up for both cats.

I don’t know what to do.

I put back 4.7 since that’s what I had the best luck on. I also bought a new thermostat to do that replacement but this darn CeL just seems to keep findings reasons to turn on
Old 07-27-2022, 02:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliguy
my car is defeating me. So I went to the smog place after the car was doing well and right when I pulled into their parking lot, a thermostats code CeL popped up (only seems to pop up when the cats are doing well. Darn ok.. reset the CeL

then the pending codes for both cats.. so I continually checked my scanner while driving for the monitors to complete to get it smogged, then the CeL popped up for both cats.

I don’t know what to do.

I put back 4.7 since that’s what I had the best luck on. I also bought a new thermostat to do that replacement but this darn CeL just seems to keep findings reasons to turn on
any update...
Old 07-27-2022, 02:09 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
any update...

This didn’t work for me. It kept the monitors incomplete longer but eventually the CEL always came back on. I’m installing o2 spacers next week
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 05:12 PM
keval9693
Track Day

I hope the O2 extenders will work for your car…I installed the extenders as the first remedy ($13 stainless steel for 2 on Amazon but a PITA to remove the O2 sensor to install), but they did not work. (I put extender in my Chevy truck cat and that solved the cat inefficiency CEL.)

I do have a long term update: my SUV CEL codes came back after driving 500+ miles twice todathe. I now consider that CEL a nuisance as 500+ miles is sufficient to pass emissions testing where I live. (It is a 14+ Yr old car after all.)

Perhaps a combo of extenders and caps will work.

Best wishes!
Old 07-27-2022, 08:00 PM
Caliguy
Intermediate

I hope the O2 extenders will work for your car…I installed the extenders as the first remedy ($13 stainless steel for 2 on Amazon but a PITA to remove the O2 sensor to install), but they did not work. (I put extender in my Chevy truck cat and that solved the cat inefficiency CEL.)

I do have a long term update: my SUV CEL codes came back after driving 500+ miles twice todathe. I now consider that CEL a nuisance as 500+ miles is sufficient to pass emissions testing where I live. (It is a 14+ Yr old car after all.)

Perhaps a combo of extenders and caps will work.

Best wishes!
do you have a link or photo of the ones you bought? Some say they need to be long enough, or angled. I can’t find any on Amazon.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:32 PM
keval9693
Track Day

Caliguy,

Hope your Cayenne Cat CEL has been resolved or under control anyway to pass emissions test. As for the O2 sensor extenders, I think the environmental police is clamping down the sale of these items. If you are still looking for them, below is a link on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Remember I first put the extenders in, but they DID NOT prevent the cat CEL codes. I now have the extenders AND caps (customized value for each cat) installed in my Cayenne. Working good so far... Good luck!
Old 08-30-2022, 01:03 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts
Talking

Caliguy,

Hope your Cayenne Cat CEL has been resolved or under control anyway to pass emissions test. As for the O2 sensor extenders, I think the environmental police is clamping down the sale of these items. If you are still looking for them, below is a link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/M18x1-5-Adapt...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Remember I first put the extenders in, but they DID NOT prevent the cat CEL codes. I now have the extenders AND caps (customized value for each cat) installed in my Cayenne. Working good so far... Good luck!
We needs pictures of how ya got to the drivers side O2 sensors.

Quick Reply: error codes P0431 and P0421 Cayenne S