Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid flush on Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Schwaben tools are cheap AF (think HF). Just pay the $10 to get something good and you know will work.

$48.90 on Amazon... Could be cheaper elsewhere given all the holiday coupons. Works on all your favorite euro trash and maybe rice as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-European-Bleeder-Pressure/dp/B0002KM5L0/ref=sr_1_16?crid=JVUTRT0Y2V2L&keywords=mighty+vac+brake+bleeder+kit&qid=1575903533&sprefix=mighty+vac%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-European-Bleeder-Pressure/dp/B0002KM5L0/ref=sr_1_16?crid=JVUTRT0Y2V2L&keywords=mighty+vac+brake+bleeder+kit&qid=1575903533&sprefix=mighty+vac%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-16

Old 12-09-2019, 02:28 PM
torofluxgemini
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to say don't get a power bleeder, because I do think it may be a superior/quicker way to go - but here is my anecdotal evidence on my 04 CTT. After reading a lot of threads and studying the ABS system I came to the conclusion that it's possible to bleed the system and not introduce any problems while doing it the "traditional one-person way"... AKA putting a tube on the bleed screw and foot-pumping the brake. It's important to never push the pedal past halfway or put it to the floor as that can cause damage to the master cylinder - so I placed a large wooden block under my pedal to make things brainless. Then I took a Poland Spring ~3.5L water bottle, the kind that has a very flat and wide bottom, and drilled a hole in the top the perfect size for my vinyl tubing. I strung the tubing to the bottom and went ahead with flushing each corner in order from furthest to closest, outer screw first, while taking care and discipline to top up the master cylinder every 9-10 pumps.

This process worked fine for me, and was successful in exchanging my old green fluid with some new "Valvoline DOT 3&4 synthetic fluid" - as recommended by a dealer tech with whom I have a rapport. No it is not by any means the best fluid out there but it worked fine for me in my 11 second STi under some pretty harsh conditions and I can always swap it out. It's properties are quite good as a synthetic and I just needed to get the air out of my lines and prevent the old fluid with unknown history from ruining anything. My car had sat on the auction lot for over 350 days according to POCTRA (online auction stats database), while it was listed as mechanical damage. Who knows when it was changed prior.

Anyway the ABS pumps likely did not get fluid exchanged - since - as it has been seemingly glossed over in this thread - the only way to do a full "flush" of this system is to use the Porsche system tester PIWIS to activate the ABS pump. I am not sure this is possible using VCDS but perhaps a Touareg person knows - and I do not think it's possible on Durametric. Of course the "country" or I should say "hoonigan" way to do this is just to go hit some dirt or gravel where you can safely give a high impulse to the brakes to work the system, then let the engine rip for a second in first and get the "Auto-Braking Differential" pulsing as well. After an event like that I would think everything would be quite thoroughly moved through the ABS pumps.

Please don't attempt to do any of this unless you have a good idea of what you are doing and are on private land etc! I can't be responsible for anyone's actions following this post so please be careful. I have to stress if you do this at home do not let the master cylinder run dry! Checking it and topping it up needs to be your religion. It's possible to accomplish this without even leaving the driveway and it solved my horrible uneven and pulsing brake issues. Massive amounts of air came out of my lines. Still wonder if the fluid was green because it was eroding the insides of my system... but anyway it's working much better thank you. I'll likely go ahead and do a full flush again soon to ensure near 100% transfer - maybe someone can convince me to buy a pressure bleeder or combo brake pressure / vacuum coolant tool.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
When you get it - let us know if the cap they provide fits the Porsche brake reservoir. It's sort of a PITA to make one that does (BTDT..)
Every German car I've ever had, including going back to 1981, Porsche / BMW / VW, has had the same threaded interface for the brake fluid reservoir. So I've used the same pressure bleeder threaded adapter on all of them, including my 2004 Cayenne S, with no problems.

I'd be surprised if the one that ships with the Schwaben does not match. And BTW, I have the Motive branded one, which is great. But some of the fittings and features on that Schwaben do look interesting.

Quick google on the needed adapter suggests that it is not just a German thing, but maybe all of Europe (based on the name):
https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...ropean-adapter

And if you don't have an adapter that works / fits, what I have done for other cars of mine is to buy a new reservoir cap and use it. Then drill a hole in the top of the old one, and stick some soft vinyl tubing through it to create my own custom adapter.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I did mine a way back from an old brake reservoir cap taken from a spare parts car, drilled a hole in the middle (9mm iirc), filed the hole edges smooth and pulled a schrader valve through. You can get those from any tire shop for like a dollar a piece. I meant to put a pressure reducer/adjuster in so I could just hook up a compressed air line but its been working fine just using it like I'd be filling a tire.

+ Cost nothing, easy and quick to make
+ Doesn't take as much space at garage shelf

- Not as good looking as an actual pro tool
- Need to unscrew the cap every time reservoir needs more fluid

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush on Cayenne GTS