Key Fob Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 PM
bzowk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Not Working

Hey Guys -

I recently got a new (to me) 2008 Porsche Cayenne. It came with two key fobs - one of which I first tried today. Unfortunately, none of the buttons worked nor the LEDs lit up when pressing them. I put a new battery in it and tried again, but still the same results - not working and no LED. After reading another post, I tried manually unlocking the doors using it, then using it to start the car - both of which worked - however, it still didn't work afterwards. Since the LEDs don't light up, it seems like its getting no power despite the new battery.

Just wanted to post to see if anyone had experienced this before, if there were any known issues, or workarounds before i disassemble it. I plan to test the battery later on, but assuming its good that's my next shot.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:50 PM
bzowk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update

Just took battery out to test with multimeter to discover I forgot to take sticker off bottom of it... duh... Works now

Thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

For several years I worked in IT as an analyst for a Fortune 100 working with international clients. When friends and neighbors would ask why their computer didn’t work, my first two questions were, Is it plugged in and is the battery charged? Glad to hear your battery was charged and just in need of a peel.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Glad you got it fixed.

By the way, I've noticed my key fobs (2004 S, with the minimalist 2-button design, so cool) are very sensitive to voltage of that battery.

For example, earlier this year, I replaced them both with Sony CR2032 Alkaline batteries, measuring them at about 3.5V when installing them (spec is 3.0V). Then ~6 months later, with minimal use, they both stopped working again. Checking voltages (no load) of both batteries showed them around 3.2V, which is still pretty high if you ask me. New 3.5V batteries got things working again, so ???

Anyone else have this issue? I know it could be a 2-button thing, and if that's the price I have to pay to get the sleek, efficient, super-cool 2-button design, it is totally worth it.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:30 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Do You have kessy? That eats keyfob batteries like crazy for some reason.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

No KESSY for me.

And the thing I find more surprising is that it fails while the battery is still at what I'd think is a good voltage, rather than that it runs down in just a few months of light usage.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Not Working