Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optional and Standard Leather seats..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:40 PM
CWiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optional and Standard Leather seats..

Can somebody tell me which is the difference between the optional and standard leather seats ? If anyone has pics of the different seats pls post... thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

This post is really timely.

I originally drove a few C-Ss w/ regular seats. I liked them. I then drove the C-T, w/ sport seats, and did not pay attention to the seats, bec/ I was so enthralled by the performance of the car.

After purchasing the C-T with sport seats, driving it for several weeks, and listening to my wife's comfort concerns, I am about to have the sport seats modified to take out a bit of the thigh bolstering in the seat cushions. The seat backs are very comfortable, but the cushions have far too much thigh bolster. They are intrusive, and cause discomfort on long drives. My wife can not sit in them without inserting material in the center of the seat to raise the seat so that the bolsters do not intrude.

I investigated changing out the sport seat cushioning for regular seats, but that was far too costly. Earlier this week, I talked to a local shop about reducing the seat cushion thigh bolsters, and I'm set to have the work done on Friday.

I waited have waited 2 months to do this, as I do like the thigh support they give during cornering. However, for regular driving, they are far too intrusive, and uncomfortable, to both me an my wife. Tomorrow the side thigh bolstering gets reduced, and I am really looking forward to it.

This is a long way of telling you that I would have purchased the regular seats, and not the sport seats. If you do want the sport seats, spend as much time as you can driving a car equipped with them.

Craig
Old 02-26-2004, 07:07 AM
CWiz
Instructor

that´s really good to know..If I had a bigger budget I would go for the sport seats, afterall it´s a sport´s car brand.. But, there are two leather options, a standard, and another one that is optional, besides the seat type.. Any idea of the differences between these two types of leather ?? Is the optional the leather but with the full leather coverage (doors, etc..) ?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat issue had me baffled for a while too. There are really only two actual seats, the standard and the sport. The Comfort seat is just a standard seat with some additional electronic controls for adjustment. There is smooth leather and supple leather for either seat as well. Smooth is just that, supple has gathers in it, it looks a little pre-streched if you will.

The options list is brutally complex IMO. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what I really needed and wanted. I actually went to edmunds.com and priced out the truck. They have all of the options listed there with descriptions, that really helped to figure out what was what. The other option is to spend some time with a dealer that has a few in stock. You should be able to actually see what you are after that way.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

I think what you are referring to is the difference between the standard leather that comes with the car versus the full leather package (around $3k) to which you can upgrade. With the standard leather package, the dash, doors, and some other areas have that non-smooth rubber grip looking material that some like and some do not. Once you upgrade to the full leather package, the dash, doors and other areas are all nice smooth leather.

I have the regular embossed leather, and I find that the dash and doors wear well with the material that is on there now. If I had the full leather, I think it would be less durable and I would probably beat it up more quickly than the standard stuff, especially since I take it out to the country and go four wheeling with it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:18 AM
CWiz
Instructor

yes Eurocarnut.. it´s exactly that .. but the covered parts are the same ? Eurocarnut, can you post some pics of your seats ? you haven´t any in your album in the owners gallery .. The standard are also leather aren´t they ? I heard in another forum that they weren´t..
Brent, I agree with you, we have to spend some time at the dealer, but before I go to them I really like to have an idea of what´s what, if you know what I mean... the dealers sometimes don´t know much about the car , so I like to go prepared

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Mav
Racer

Cwiz, My is black embossed leather. originally, I would like to go for smooth leather, but due to $$. I finally opt. for air suspension and 20" wheel. In fact, I was at dealer and looking at a Cayenne TT which has black smooth leather 2 days ago. I was looking for color combo for different trims. Then, I feel I like my embossed leather more. I agree with EuroCarNut. Since, I have a little baby girl, smooth leather (full leather) will be very difficult to maintain. At least, I have full leather in C4s. BTW, I feel black embossed dash is looking very good.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:41 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

CWiz,

I do not have any picture of the interior of my car, but looking at it, the seats are visually the same as the leather seats in the Turbos (which all have smooth leather option). The only time that I have noticed a difference in the way the leather looks on the seats is if you get the soft look option (only a couple hundred dollars). In that case, the leather is gathered and looks like the seat would be softer and more comfortable. Definitely a worthwhile option for the relative inexpensive price.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Mav
Racer

CWiz, Here is the soft leather looks http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennealbums/ngfan/abj.jpg from Ngfan's misc. picture gallery. I have it on my C4s, but I do not like the look on my Cayenne S.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:20 PM
CWiz
Instructor

That´s the package that Eurocarnut is talking about ? HORRIBLE.. in my opinion.. Mav. the seats on your Cayenne S are standard ?? look GREAT.. it´s exactly what i´m looking for..http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...Mav-Album1/aah
Old 02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Mav
Racer

Yes. they are standard on Cayenne S. I am not 100% sure about Cayenne. You may want to confirm with your saleman. BTW, we have the exact same color combo!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:52 PM
CWiz
Instructor

The standard seats in the Cayenne V6 and the S are the same.. Love those seats, they are exactly what I was looking for..
Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 05:50 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig,

Your post is very interesting.

Personally, the sport seats fit me well, and I find them to be very comfortable and supportive. However, the lumbar support is killing me! I experienced this feeling on all the seat options, so it's not just the sport seats.

What kind of "shop" are you using to perform the mods to your seat? Perhaps I will look into reducing the lumbar, as I find it quite intrusive, even when adjusted all the way in. Wonder if this can be done, as it is probably a rubber piece, not upholstery.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

Are you using the lumbar air bladder in the seat?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:30 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't realize it was an air bladder.

Yes, I guess that is what I am referring to. Seems to be digging into my back no matter what I do.

Quick Reply: Optional and Standard Leather seats..