Sponsored by:

My UK 2008 Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Crocodon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mark,

Which head unit are you planning on installing?

Just about to do this myself, as the original PCM is on the blink!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 PM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Great thread and lots of impressive work!

Your GTS looks awesome.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:07 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Geez, you know you're allowed more than one post a year right? j/k Thanks for documenting all of your hard work!
Old 10-26-2019, 03:56 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Wow, very impressed with your skill and great knowledge of what to tackle. Congrats.

Where do I get the polyurethane insert for the engine damper?
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products...29-3204/1.html
Old 10-26-2019, 04:03 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 970 Likes on 604 Posts

Kudos Mark! I spent 45 minutes going over your post and was almost late for work. The PDCC, stuff of brilliance.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:10 AM
joeyb
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Brilliant post this!

Great detailed run through of all your work, looks like you’re very experienced. There are definitely some jobs I’m now considering doing. Also the engine mounts and air filters sound like a nice upgrade.

keep the updates coming!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Absolutely amazing work, thoroughness, and the willingness to dive into subsystems like the PDCC to figure out how they work.

That's a great looking GTS and I never really noticed how in silver it really highlights the flares of the front fenders.

Based on the amount of debris that was in your cowl vents, I would pull back the driver's side carpeting and foam pad to see if the wiring bundle there has been exposed to any water. If they've gotten wet, it's better to fix those splices before the corrosion spreads. Make sure to clean the sunroof vents too.

That powerflex torque arm bushing looks great too. I'll be using that to replace mine when it fails, but I'm only at 40,000 miles.

If you want a little more exhaust sound, delete the secondary cats with bypass pipes. Not much change inside the car unless heavy on the throttle but sounds a lot better with the windows open and from outside.

It pains me to see the rust you've had to deal with (I live in the southern US), but keep up the prevention methods and great work you're doing. It's amazing!
Thanks! I like to work out how things work and I figured that the PDCC is a pretty simple system made up of parts used elsewhere, thankfully, my work paid off and saved me the job of changing out the rear valve body! Woohoo, I love silver cars, I have a boxster and 997 in silver also, I guess it can be a bit boring but it's timeless and helps my OCD in the way that marks and dirt don't really show up, plus it always shows the lines of a car
I would love more sound, I may look to add some secondary cat deletes, annoyingly I dont think anyone in the UK stocks them but I have a friend who makes stainless exhausts so it would not be hard for him to make some straight pipes.
Rust is just a part of life here annoyingly, my cayenne was worse than normal (and expected) due to being north of the UK all of it's life but I think I'm there with the rust now.

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
There's a chap on the 993 forum who name begins with AOW..., you remind me of him! Waiting patiently for more..
I found him, I like him!! haha

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Seriously impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Crocodon
Hi Mark,

Which head unit are you planning on installing?

Just about to do this myself, as the original PCM is on the blink!
It's some chinesse android thing, I had it fitted with more ram and storage, I will update once I get it.

Looks like this;

Originally Posted by GDA
Great thread and lots of impressive work!

Your GTS looks awesome.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by thesteve
Geez, you know you're allowed more than one post a year right? j/k Thanks for documenting all of your hard work!
HAHA, It was just easier to paste it all into one haha, does make a long first read! Sozzzz

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Kudos Mark! I spent 45 minutes going over your post and was almost late for work. The PDCC, stuff of brilliance.
Thank you! Hope the PDCC stuff helps others! Parts are out there thanks to the BMW dynamic drive system and they're very cheap to get!

Originally Posted by joeyb
Brilliant post this!

Great detailed run through of all your work, looks like you’re very experienced. There are definitely some jobs I’m now considering doing. Also the engine mounts and air filters sound like a nice upgrade.

keep the updates coming!
Will do, more to come, thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

A few minor updates, really happy with this, the wife loves it, I enjoy taking it out, makes a great noise and very comfortable. No issues or boring parts needed so I can start doing some nice upgrades now.

Rear tailgate, lower rear valance and front tow eye covers in for paint. Tailgate had a rust spot and rust around a number plate light coming, so whipped that off and while that's in, the other bits had some lacquer peel/marks. My wife didn't want to be without the car so I sourced a silver tailgate and swapped that on as I found one locally for cheap, I originally planned to give that to my friend but it requires more work, hence the swap. I wanted to have the rear door done but that will involve her being without the car for a good job so that's on hold.. :dont know:

This was a pain!

Popped to Porsche Brooklands, had to take some pics under the sign.

Bye buttons!

New head unit! A friend of mine has a car audio business, part of it is dealing with Android head units. He got me a Cayenne specific head unit which will work with the steering wheel controls, show the device function/radio station in the gauge cluster LCD and work with the fibre optic BOSE amp. I wanted to get rid of the OEM unit as it just looks dated and the Sat Nav is awful, no bluetooth, etc etc etc.

I was always slightly concerned with getting a new unit which looked aftermarket but I think this fits in perfectly. I know that on eBay, you can get units that looks like the newer PCM but I figured that if I change, I'll get a unit with no buttons for a cleaner look. The great thing with this unit is that the surround fits in perfectly, it looks factory. There was the option of a slightly bigger 9" display but the surround had a brushed metal and chrome edge, I didn't like that so I opted for the 8" with the matching black plastic surround.

As my friend deals with these, he was able to have the unit upgraded by the manufacturers, these units normally have 2GB RAM and 16GB storage but he had this upped to 4GB and 64GB storage, which means better performance and I can store more files/music/apps etc on the unit. I have a similar unit in my MX5 which is 2GB and that thing gets slow.

Retains gauge cluster function display

The new unit is fantastic! It really lifts the dash, I was slightly dubious to lose the trip computer but in reality, who needs that. The look of the unit is great and having bluetooth for music and phone, up to date Navigation (Google maps) and soon, Apple Car Play, offers exactly what I need.

The unit ties in nicely and lines up with the heated seat buttons and vent/button below.

For the money, I'm over the moon. The full kit with canbus and MOST fibre adapter should have cost £380 but I got it for £300 which I was more than happy with, the fibre optic box retails £120 alone!

Apple Car Play will finish this off, at the moment, I tether the unit from my phone, so maps, youtube, spotify can all be easily used.

I can change the themes and adjust colours to better tie it in but I haven't had time to play fully just yet.

I can now bin the CD changer and Nav unit to gain some extra storage too!

While messing with the head unit, I noticed the passenger carpet was wet!

I thought, OH NOOOO, I had removed the drivers side but not passenger.. I raised the car and stuck my hand under, pulled the grommet and out came a load of water!!! The pics show the prob. Considering I had these out already, shows the crap which must be in there, so I will have to get in there and flush the crap out if there is anymore.

While talking about drains, don't forget to clean these. These are under the tailgate lid hinges, mine were blocked, this could result in a wet headliner, I just found this by chance rather than a problem.

These damn headlights, can't seem to stop the condensation!

I have sealed the lenses with clear silicon twice, made sure the breathers are clear, ensured no chips or other leaks around other seals, I just can't seem to stop the light misting up. I placed silica gel bags in the lights but these only lasted a few days.

My last try is to block these lower vents up, the condensation is always in the inner corners of the light and this thing is right below, so I just want to experiment here to see if this stops it once and for all! If not, god knows what's up!

Next up; Apple car play, front and rear cameras and freshly painted parts.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Stringbag
Pro

I feel your pain with the headlights.
Mine do the same and I’ve replaced the rubber seal that goes around the outside too. Made no difference.
Which part are the tiny round filters? They go into 13/14 on this pic - mine are filthy. Did you manage to get new ones?

Old 11-06-2019, 09:23 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

The filter goes under the light, looks like part 16 is pointing to the location but as you see in my pic, it breaks down into 3 parts. I made a piece to block it. It rained last night and the light where i blocked the filer has not fogged yet the side I have left alone has. I have not replaced mine, I just gave them a wash.

I'm going to see how it goes over the next few days but perhaps this is the trick..
Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Hmm. Maybe they changed the light design.
definitely nothing underneath and the filter in the rubber part as per the pic.
PS thanks for the torque arm bush info - did mine today. Huge difference.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:37 PM
MarkGolf
Instructor

That's different to mine, perhaps they added the filter thing I have to try and combat the condensation.

Glad you noticed a difference, I was really surprised at what that bush did!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:10 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Phone kit junk stuffed in by the fuse box! Now gone. Clutter stuck to the dash trim, bugs me every time I get in.

Sprint booster and handsfree display gone. (Sprint booster button hidden)

GPS aerial nicely mounted in the centre dash vent, had to file a little notch so that the wire doesn't get pinched. Going to try out the DAB aerial being mounted in here when that turns up.

More to follow..

HAHA, I would love to being playing with cars full time, it's definitely when I'm at my happiest. (Second to being with wife and son..... obviously) :bandit: Perhaps not if I had to change a PDCC valve body

:hand: :floor:

Happy 97000th mile, officially the highest mileage car I have ever owned.

There was a moment of dry weather Sunday, so I gave the Cayenne a good wash, the last time it had a clean was back at the start of September!!!! I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever left a car so long without being washed!! Never again, it was hard work. build up from country roads and wet motorways had layered the crap onto the paintwork, I wish I had a picture from before. I always forget how long it takes to wash this thing, the wheels alone test my patience.

Anyway, it had a proper wash all over, snow foam, rinse, APC and brush around the trims, Korrosol to lower half and on the wheels, Bilt Hamber Atom-mac to the underside, inner arches and through the front grill. Washed down and then finished with Megs Hybrid Ceramic, a great time saver!

Looks a different beast after a clean. Still awaiting the trim parts back from paintshop and it really could do with the wheels being refurbed but my wife and I are still not over range finding kerbs with them :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

CarPlay shot, this has totally changed being in here now!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 AM
galognu
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

MarkGolf....

Thanks for the really neat post. I recently became a Cayenne owner by electronic accident. I live in the northwest Area of NY state. We have cold and devastating winters with lots of snow. I was perfectly happy with my utilitarian FJ Cruiser...it’s a tank. I’m at a meeting and I get a text from car buzz...about this incredible Cayenne GTS.....all the important bells and whistles and the single most important reason I got interested.........it’s a manual!! Only few hundred made, this one in Marine Blue Metallic in just perfect shape. Next thing in in a bidding war and became a Porsche owner.

car was inspected by Master Porsche Mechanic who felt it was in great shape.

So after seeing your thread I started in on mine. Although not as meticulous as you I cleaned up all wheel wells, including painting them, rust encapsulation paint entire bottom, ceramic coat wheels, calipers, all engine panels, oil and air filter change, engine detail, and next week going for paint correction and ceramic coating rest of body. Thanks for all your pics and guidance. I’ll put up few pics and start my thread soon.

The lighting does not do it justice

Rusty lug nuts wired wheel and paint

Before

After

New center caps, clean and painted lugs

Crud,dirt and a good quart of water from blocked drain.

Decided to paint fender wells.

Pre paint

Post paint/detail

Minor surface rust, dirty

Rear clean
Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Wow, that's a rare colour, manual too! Great find and welcome to Porsche ownership.

You haven't messed around, great work! I nearly went for a manual but the wife really wanted an auto, which was the right move for her usage.

Keep up the great work, love the detail on the hub upright! Does yours have a black interior? I see the drain grommets have already been removed!

Quick Reply: My UK 2008 Cayenne GTS